mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Quasi Moto rear shock options

I have been riding a medium Quasi Moto for a few years with a Titus installed Manitou Swinger 4-way air. When I first received the bike from Titus, the shock chamber was mounted so that the valve stem was oriented up. I soon found that with the shock mounted in this fashion, the valve stem had a tendancy to hit the rocker arm as the shock reached full compression.

After I noticed the problem, I took the bike back to the shop and asked for a recommendation. The shops remedy was to remove the shock, twist the shock body 180 degrees, and remount the shock (valve stem now pointed down). While this resolved the clearance issue, it placed the valve stem in a position where it is nearly impossible to connect a shock pump. After two years of dealing with this issue, I am looking for another solution.

Has anyone else on this board run into a similar issue? If so, I would appreciate any input on alternate solutions that have been used. One solution that I am considering is to replace the Swinger 4-way with something like the FOX DHX 5.0 Coil. Has anybody had any experience with this shock, and does anyone know if it is possible to mount one on a Quasi? I plan on calling Titus next week, but don't know if they keep up on discontinued frame models.

I would appreciate any help that this board could offer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I would be interested in this as well, as I would like to knock a bit of weight off mine, as at present its pretty heavy, so has anyone tried one with a Fox RP3 or DHX Air, and does anyone know if a 2.25 length stroke will work in a q Quasi frame or will it cause metal to hit metal?

in the getto
    I've ran both a DHX Air and the RP3 on my Quasi. The DHX Air is definitely the better match with the 5.9in. travel Quasi. The RP3 would pack up and sometimes feel like bucking me,where the DHX just eats everythig up and is super tunable.Also it's easy to get at all the DHX Air's adjustments.
    it's a big sh*t sandwich and were all gonna have to take a bite

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Are you running the 2.0 stroke or have you tried the 2.25? I am guessing that the 2.25 will cause metal on metal but I noticed a few people on MTBR commenting on they were going to try it, however none seemed to report back.

in the getto
    Yea i remember people saying the 2.25in stroke may work. I've run the 2in. strokers.
    it's a big sh*t sandwich and were all gonna have to take a bite

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Cool, a 2.25 is a bit of a gamble so I will keep my eye on ebay for 2.0 then

thanks for your help

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Shock options

I had almost given up on this thread. Since I first posted, I contacted Titus and purchased an 2005 DHX 5.0 Coil. As for the 2.25" stroke, I am not sure if it would work. Titus set me up with a 7.875"X2.0" shock.

By the way, since my manual is in storage and it appears that it is easier to get a shock than a manual out of Titus. Does anyone have a digital copy of the 2004 Quasi manual? Now that I am changing from air to coil, I need to reference how to connect the rocker.

Deere Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasi242
    I had almost given up on this thread. Since I first posted, I contacted Titus and purchased an 2005 DHX 5.0 Coil. As for the 2.25" stroke, I am not sure if it would work. Titus set me up with a 7.875"X2.0" shock.

By the way, since my manual is in storage and it appears that it is easier to get a shock than a manual out of Titus. Does anyone have a digital copy of the 2004 Quasi manual? Now that I am changing from air to coil, I need to reference how to connect the rocker.
    I have a 2002 Quasi and have recently switched from the Vanilla RC w/ 800lb spring to a 7.875X2.0 2006 Float R. I dropped just over 1.5 lbs from the bike weight by a digital scale! You can feel that kind of difference.

You can mount your coil shock in either hole at the bottom of the rocker. The forward hole is a "full rising rate" that gives plush, active feel with good bottoming resistance. The rearward hole is a "rising/falling rate" and is the most active combo possible with a coil shock. I would choose this with the DHX because of its built-in bottoming control. If you have been using an air shock you probably are already using the rearward hole.

I too was curious about a 2.25" stroke shock and took the spring off my RC to do some measurements. With the 2.25" stroke (estimated by carefully measuring past my 2.0" shock's full compression) the rocker plates will have to actually fit between the two rear seat struts, which they do...BARELY. That is until the rocker plate mounting bolts hit the struts. The clearance appears to be there but the margins for error are extremely small and chance for serious frame damage is quite possible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the input. Per your suggestion, I am going to try the rearward hole first.