mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Q: XTR M970 bracket/crank spacers on a Racer X

I just ordered a 'FITTED' XTR M970 crank for my new build but I'm pretty sure it will not come with the 2.5mm spacers to get the bottom bracket to 73mm. Looking at the manual it has three of the spacers and I plan to order them.

Would someone please tell me how you installed the XTR M970 crank with the spacers. Were two placed on the chain ring side and one on the opposite side or the other way around? Or did you not use them at all? What's the best way to get the required chain line?

Thanks for any help!

JB.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    To install an external bottom bracket bearing you need to do the following:

1. Have your bottom bracket faced at you LBS. If you install an external bb without facing the bearings will wear out. If your bb is already faced, you of course don't need to do this again.

2. If you're using a clamp on front derailleur you place one spacer on the drive side bbb, and none on the other side. If you're using a e-type derailleur you don't need any spacers at all.

3. Use a good amount of grease on both the threads on both the bb and the bbb.

4. Install the bbb.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JB.
    To install an external bottom bracket bearing you need to do the following:

1. Have your bottom bracket faced at you LBS. If you install an external bb without facing the bearings will wear out. If your bb is already faced, you of course don't need to do this again.

2. If you're using a clamp on front derailleur you place one spacer on the drive side bbb, and none on the other side. If you're using a e-type derailleur you don't need any spacers at all.

3. Use a good amount of grease on both the threads on both the bb and the bbb.

4. Install the bbb.
    I have a Ti RX with the XTR Front D and use 1 spacer on drive side with 0 on the non drive as well.

Good info!

Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by norcom
    I just ordered a 'FITTED' XTR M970 crank for my new build but I'm pretty sure it will not come with the 2.5mm spacers to get the bottom bracket to 73mm. Looking at the manual it has three of the spacers and I plan to order them.

Thanks for any help!
    I have dozens of them. Email your address and I'll mail you a couple.
    bob@bikerbob.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thank you very much for the info!

Bibkerbob you're THE MAN! Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0