mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Purchased a V3 EG...Questions?

OK, Purchased a V3 EG on Friday. Sadly Brandon said it was 2 weeks out so I'm guessing I wont see it for at least 3 weeks. Bummer but I need to buy some parts anyways. Because I'm using my 150 mm Fox Float from my other bike I want to use an angled headset. Is there an angled headset with a large bottom stack height that will set the frame further up the steerer so the geo is more akin to me using a 160 mm fork and slackening the front a bit? I've done some research and I'm completely overwhelmed with this.

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I know what you mean by being overwhelmed with the headset market. I have the v3 EG with the Marzocchi RC3 Ti-Evo with a tapered steerer, and can't quite get my head around what headset I need. I used CC and CK's websites, and it looks like the CC40 or CK Inset3 are my only options. Is this right?

As for your questions, have you researched building your own headset with different upper/lower components instead of a pre-fab "set"? I'd imagine you can build the lower as high as you want if you do it that way.
    Last edited by chrisingrassia; 09-10-2012 at 01:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Pricepoint has quite a few headsets available for tapered steerers...heres the link Headsets at Price Point

I also found a Nukeproof Warhead 49IESS headset with an external lower cup that is 20mm. My thoughts are that with a A2C of 520.9 coupled with an extra 20mm that this headset gives me will put my A2C at roughly 540.9. I'll do a bit more research and see what I come up with and post my findings.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Check out "works components" from the uk. I have one with an external bottom cup and internal upper cup. If you don't like what you see they will build to suit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisingrassia View Post
    I know what you mean by being overwhelmed with the headset market. I have the v3 EG with the Marzocchi RC3 Ti-Evo with a tapered steerer, and can't quite get my head around what headset I need. I used CC and CK's websites, and it looks like the CC40 or CK Inset3 are my only options. Is this right?

As for your questions, have you researched building your own headset with different upper/lower components instead of a pre-fab "set"? I'd imagine you can build the lower as high as you want if you do it that way.
    I'm 99.9999% certain this one would suit you:
    2012 Cane Creek 40 Series Mixed Tapered Headset - Competitive Cyclist

That website has some of the most informative descriptions i've seen.

It would probably suit the OP too, as it has an external cup. (edit: this is wrong, as the OP wants an angleset)

If they don't have a tapered fork, and have a 1-1/8" fork, they could pick up the same headset, but also get a reducer crown race:
    2012 Cane Creek 40-Series Conversion Crown Race - Competitive Cyclist
    or
    2012 Cane Creek 110-Series Conversion Crown Race - Competitive Cyclist

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thats an awesome site jwolfe...thanks

And all great ideas sclyde2, After doing some research I'm going to stay with a straight headset and ride the bike for awhile and then decide if I need a longer travel fork or a few more degrees on the front.

Thanks for the replies, ideas and the reading material!