Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Project: El G.

mtbr member

Project: El G.

Well after lusting after all the El Guapos comming through our shop lately I began losing sleep over the thought of a tricked out Blue El G. After riding about every demo bike we have I have found that nothing speaks to me like a 6" bike does........especially one that pedals well, jumps well and can rail corners like a shifter cart. I swapped parts from my current bike with the addition to a couple more goodies to throw in the mix. I must appologize about the poor lighting on the photo, I finished the build late yesterday after work and was jonesing to put it through it's paces today and I brought along the camera for a "nature shot" so the El G would be in it's right element but there was a ton of overcast. I will post more photos once the sun comes out and rest assured i will post some action shots soon, and give a full ride report. Ride On- E2 eric@competitivecyclist.com

P.S. I'm not sure if you can tell from the photos but I did some alternate cable routing because those darn side mount cable stops kept raking my knee.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't drink it

Paste eater
    DROOOOOOOL...

ya, what's up with the sucky cable routing anyway? Who thought THAT was a good idea?

BTW, why not run the cables just like the Ml, under the top tube?
    Last edited by Jwind; 07-01-2007 at 06:00 PM.

thats right living legend

I Love, Love, Love It!!!!!

Looks absolutely sick! I dig the white rims HARD!

Kick ass cable routing too.... That puts my mind a little more at ease should I be able to pick one of these bad boy's up one day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Sensational Eric

El Guapo stoke.

I think Blackey likes it

That Lyric is a great choice. I just rode that mission control fork yesterday on a mate's bike. His bike was a big letdown but his fork wasn't

Looking forward to some more photos !~!

Cheers
    AM

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Sensational Eric

El Guapo stoke.

I think Blackey likes it

That Lyric is a great choice. I just rode that mission control fork yesterday on a mate's bike. His bike was a big letdown but his fork wasn't

Looking forward to some more photos !~!

Cheers
    AM

Don't stick your tongue out at me!!!!

Master of None
    Nice! What does it weigh? Do you get any chain slap w/o a protector?

mtbr member

weight/chainslap

30.86lbs, before installing the seat, so now i would guess around 31.25ish, I'm going to install a coil shock in the rear soon. As for the chainslap.......of course, but I wasn't too worried about it I was too anxious to ride!
    Don't drink it

Master of None
    Wow that's pretty light. I like the blue spokes and pedals, looks sweet.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    Wow that's pretty light. I like the blue spokes and pedals, looks sweet.
    Nice weight!

Are those the Straitline pedals? They look great!
    Extreme stationary biker.

Trophy Husband
    I just rode that mission control fork yesterday on a mate's bike. His bike was a big letdown but his fork wasn't
    AM

What bike? Why the letdown?
    Extreme stationary biker.

"El Whatever"
    Dang, Eric...

That's a gorgeous ride. I have never liked that blue color... Until I saw your build. White makes a HUGE difference with that blue.

Check my Site

mtbr member
    Pedals are from Twenty6 products........you may have seen them in this months Decline mag. The pedals themselves are truely awesome 375g for the pair, Ti axles fully rebuildable, tons of pin placement options as well. As for the weight i was pretty shocked myself, hell if I went tubeless I could save a bit more. I'm goping to order a DHX coil for it.....the Pearl shock just ramps up too quickly, I am still 1/2 an inch from blowing the o-ring off the slider, with 30% sag and a couple of jump and drops. I'm hoping this thing will be even better with the coil, all in all so far it rocks!
    Don't drink it

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by E2@CC
    .... I'm goping to order a DHX coil for it.....the Pearl shock just ramps up too quickly, I am still 1/2 an inch from blowing the o-ring off the slider, with 30% sag and a couple of jump and drops. I'm hoping this thing will be even better with the coil, all in all so far it rocks!
    In the mean time and in between time mount the Pearl in the coil position (if you haven't done so already).

And, it would be good to see what the real difference is.

Have you tried the Twenty6 Dualie Brake Lever ?~? Any better than DB lever ?~?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Awesome ride, Eric!

Very sweet build....

"El Whatever"
    In the mean time and in between time mount the Pearl in the coil position (if you haven't done so already).
    That'd make an air shock to use even less travel. There should be more ramp up at the end for the coil not to bottom bad.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    That'd make an air shock to use even less travel. There should be more ramp up at the end for the coil not to bottom bad.
    Yeah I know, just wanted to see just how much of a difference it would be. My own personal agenda .

"Its All Good"

Good job!

Eric, looks sweet, just email your team re inquiring about a demo of the El G. Am in St Louis for 2 weeks, starting next week. So am keen to try one, then I may well be able to place an order for a Ti El G....

AM, fess up about the bike you didnt enjoy, your amongst friends, was it a Turner....

I still think they should change the name from El G to El Caribou....... Would sell far more.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member

And, it would be good to see what the real difference is.

Have you tried the Twenty6 Dualie Brake Lever ?~? Any better than DB lever ?~?
    I've got the dualies on both my bikes. If you look close at the picture you can see them.........they're polished prototypes for the Formula brakes. I'll tinker with the pivot placement and let you know my findings.
    Don't drink it

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    AM, fess up about the bike you didnt enjoy, your amongst friends, was it a Turner....

I second that. There's plenty of good reviews around here. Personally if I wanted gum drops and pixy dust, I'd sit down on the crapper and grab an issue of MBA.

Negative reviews are the most informative IMO.

OUT WITH IT.

the 36 year old grom
    what didn't you like about the guapo??

mtbr member

couple more photos

I'll post the review tonight when I have time to type more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't drink it

"Its All Good"
    Looking good Eric..... Have a demo coming from CC next weekend, to get a real grasp on the El G..... Am worried the Pearl will spoil the ride.... But looking forward to a weekend on a El G

Look forward to reading your review later
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Yeah Whafe, I think Ryan (our demo manager) got the bike cleaned and ready for you.........keep in mind that the Pearl does ramp up quite a lot at the end of the stroke, don't let that deter you from the overall ride. You may want to set the sag around 20% rather than the 30% I'm running and that will probably give the rear a better feel and back off on the Gate knob a bit, I'm running only 2 clicks on mine from full off.....I'm still waiting on my coil shock, hopefully it will be here next week enjoy the demo!
    Don't drink it

Master of None
    Sweet, those grips are rad. Lookin good man. Now ditch that shock and get a "Man's" shock on there.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by E2@CC
    Yeah Whafe, I think Ryan (our demo manager) got the bike cleaned and ready for you.........keep in mind that the Pearl does ramp up quite a lot at the end of the stroke, don't let that deter you from the overall ride. You may want to set the sag around 20% rather than the 30% I'm running and that will probably give the rear a better feel and back off on the Gate knob a bit, I'm running only 2 clicks on mine from full off.....I'm still waiting on my coil shock, hopefully it will be here next week enjoy the demo!
    Sweet to hear Eric, the whole crew there have been awesome to deal with for this demo. Total cool cats..... Thanks for the word on the shock, am not going to let that deter me in any way from the bike, shocks can be changed, well as you are really....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast