Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Problem with Monarch

After one ride I have a problem with my Monarch. When I turn it to min it is more soft than the mid and of course more soft as it was before...
    Max is soft, mid is stiffer and min in the softest of all!
    What to do?
    "Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    May 2008
    eeeh i think i may have same problem. it's a low speed compression adjust? should feel like pro-pedal on Fox?

mtbr member
    "Min" is the softest setting, the middle setting is medium, and "max" is the most low speed compression or firmest.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    yeah of course, mine seems to make no difference. any ideas what could cause that? have literally been on one short ride not really looked into it, but would expect to feel some difference bouncing on it right?

mtbr member
    It is the floodgate adjustment and it has three positions. According to the manual max is the open floodgate mid is medium and min should be the less "plush". Like a pro pedal.
    Am I wrong?

"Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

mtbr member
    They take about 10 hours of riding to break in properly, give it some more time I suspect it will get better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    "Min" is the softest setting, the middle setting is medium, and "max" is the most low speed compression or firmest.
    So we set the sag on min and pedal on max?
    I thought it was the other way. And I think I pedaled on min on my first ride and it was firmer than the mid that I used on the trail... Don't know... Maybe I've lost it...
    Couldn't find any manuals or videos to make sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hi George,

Are you technically inclined? If so, you may want to try and tackle this yourself. Alternatively, send it in to be rebuilt. I think the Monarch is a brilliant shock - far superior in performance to Fox stuff but, like Fox stuff, suffers from poor assembly at the factory (I've had to rebuild all of mine from new and I've had a few).

Basically, it sounds like the platform level is incorrectly installed and therefore not 'clocked' correctly. It could be a simple fix but you'll need and IFP adapter from RS ($10) as you'll likely need to depressurize the IFP and then need a means to repressurize it. If this all sounds too much / scary - send it in. If not - let me know and I can tell you want to do.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i expect some break in but platform should work out of box surely?
    will check tomorrow.
    hopefully on-one will warranty this too if it turns out i got a dud shock.. :/
    don't mind doing servicing, but don't want to mess with a new shock and potentially make worse/not fix/invalidate warranty etc

mtbr member
    Put the one off of my v3 on my v1 frame and went for a ride. After half the ride I was loosing air. Found I was down 20psi once home. Put shock into water and looked for bubbles. Couldn't find any. Even let it sit over night and didn't see any in the morning. Going to put it back up to 170psi and try again.

Could feal it bottom a couple times during the ride and thought something was up. bottomed so hard that my chain stay hit my derailer cage and shifted it off-line. I thought maybe i had the sag set to low and bottomed it so hard that it some how lost air. Not sure if that is possible but it's the only thing I could think of or make up.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiff View Post
    i expect some break in but platform should work out of box surely?
    will check tomorrow.
    hopefully on-one will warranty this too if it turns out i got a dud shock.. :/
    don't mind doing servicing, but don't want to mess with a new shock and potentially make worse/not fix/invalidate warranty etc
    if the problem is that you can't discern the difference (rather the problem that the OP has), it might not be defective. the differences in the floodgate settings are not that pronounced, it is pretty subtle, at least for the RT3 shocks I've used (stock RT3 on carbon X, push'd RT3 on carbon X and push'd RT3 on EG). No, I haven't used the stock RT3 on the EG, but I don't expect it to be much different. With every shock, it was pretty hard to tell the difference in the settings, but it is there - the shock will move slightly less with the same force on the high setting (repeatedly pushing the seat down with the same force, and switching the gate setting repeatedly). I can also notice it when riding the EG that the lower settings will squat more when climbing (when I have my weight shifting right back), and the high setting pretty much eliminates the squat.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    if the problem is that you can't discern the difference (rather the problem that the OP has), it might not be defective. the differences in the floodgate settings are not that pronounced, it is pretty subtle, at least for the RT3 shocks I've used (stock RT3 on carbon X, push'd RT3 on carbon X and push'd RT3 on EG). No, I haven't used the stock RT3 on the EG, but I don't expect it to be much different. With every shock, it was pretty hard to tell the difference in the settings, but it is there - the shock will move slightly less with the same force on the high setting (repeatedly pushing the seat down with the same force, and switching the gate setting repeatedly). I can also notice it when riding the EG that the lower settings will squat more when climbing (when I have my weight shifting right back), and the high setting pretty much eliminates the squat.
    The difference is very noticeable if you know what your looking for. A LOT of people ride the bike around the car park bouncing it up and down with different pro pedal / lever settings and say "it feels the same". The reason is that in bouncing up and down like that they're blowing off the platform circuit and opening the shock right up and hence it feels virtually identical in each setting.

I too have had 3 RT3's and ALL feel very different in each of the 3 settings when tested properly (and when working correctly). The way to test is to sit on the saddle with your feet on the ground and to bounce up and down SLOWLY. This mimics the slow up-down motion of pedaling which is all it's designed to filter out). This stops the platform from blowing off. When doing this - the difference is very pronounced. If it's not then either the platform tune is too light for the leverage ratio of that bike or it's not working (which is often the case from factory sadly).

mtbr member

Mine is the other way around

Quote Originally Posted by George Gr View Post
    It is the floodgate adjustment and it has three positions. According to the manual max is the open floodgate mid is medium and min should be the less "plush". Like a pro pedal.
    Am I wrong?

Max is full LSC or firm, Min is wide open or soft. The manual you have there is for the other monarch shocks not the RT3
    Last edited by craigstr; 08-24-2012 at 06:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky View Post
    Hi George,

Are you technically inclined? If so, you may want to try and tackle this yourself. Alternatively, send it in to be rebuilt. I think the Monarch is a brilliant shock - far superior in performance to Fox stuff but, like Fox stuff, suffers from poor assembly at the factory (I've had to rebuild all of mine from new and I've had a few).

Basically, it sounds like the platform level is incorrectly installed and therefore not 'clocked' correctly. It could be a simple fix but you'll need and IFP adapter from RS ($10) as you'll likely need to depressurize the IFP and then need a means to repressurize it. If this all sounds too much / scary - send it in. If not - let me know and I can tell you want to do.
    Thanks for the tip, but is the floodgate lever incorrectly installed? As Craig says it is the normal operation...

mtbr member
    Max is full LSC or firm, Min is wide open or soft. The manual you have there is for the other monarch shocks not the RT3
    Thanks Graig. What LSC stands for?
    There's no manual for the RT3. It is for the 3.3 which I think is the same. Or not?

mtbr member
    low speed compression. aka pro-pedal.

mtbr member
    I had the factory treatment done on mine by PUSH, I asked them to firm up the "MAX" setting as much as they could so I almost have a lockout for racing yet keep the "MIN" setting as minimal as possible as one does affect the other (ie. if they firm up the max it also firms up the min to some extent). So my shock is blatantly obvious as to what setting is what. I'm not sure the 3.3 is the same shock as the RT3, I doubt it. I also wouldnt put it past Rock Shox to have a misprint in their manual, FOX had the directions backwards on the RP3 a few years back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    low speed compression. aka pro-pedal.
    Thanks for the clarification terrible.
    Newbie questions....

mtbr member
    I had the factory treatment done on mine by PUSH,I asked them to firm up the "MAX" setting as much as they could so I almost have a lockout for racing yet keep the "MIN" setting as minimal as possible as one does affect the other (ie. if they firm up the max it also firms up the min to some extent). So my shock is blatantly obvious as to what setting is what.
    Really??? I didn't know you could do that! Interesting. Where's Push? A link please. How much did it cost you?

I'm not sure the 3.3 is the same shock as the RT3, I doubt it. I also wouldnt put it past Rock Shox to have a misprint in their manual, FOX had the directions backwards on the RP3 a few years back.
    I'm not sure either but I think I read somewhere that RT3 is the old 3.3 so I thought it's pretty much the same...

Dont Rep me
    Push Industries - Home
    but they stopped working on Monarchs or any RS air shocks, and only service Vivids now.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure the 3.3 is the same shock as the RT3, I doubt it.
    This is where I've seen it: http://www.cycleservicenordic.com/pr...ide%202011.pdf

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer.2 View Post
    Push Industries - Home
    but they stopped working on Monarchs or any RS air shocks, and only service Vivids now.
    Wow -- I did not know they stopped working on RS! That is a shame. The work they do is pretty awesome!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahdog31 View Post
    Wow -- I did not know they stopped working on RS! That is a shame. The work they do is pretty awesome!
    They didn't stop working on RS, just the Monarch. It is supposedly due to some quality control issues with the Monarchs that were out of PUSH's control. At least that is what I was told when I called.

Yeah, I was pretty bummed too. I waited just a touch too long to send mine in. I'm going with a Roco Air WC instead.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Terrible, sounds like you have my RT3 issue. After about a full year and two send backs I finally got a new shock from Titus. The sent my original to SRAM and they "serviced" it to no avail. Would lose 10-20 psi every 15-20 min on the bike. New shock is working properly and holds air. I too found no bubbles and it would hold pressure just fine overnight. Only seemed to lose it when cycling.

mtbr member
    Terrible, sounds like you have my RT3 issue. After about a full year and two send backs I finally got a new shock from Titus. The sent my original to SRAM and they "serviced" it to no avail. Would lose 10-20 psi every 15-20 min on the bike. New shock is working properly and holds air. I too found no bubbles and it would hold pressure just fine overnight. Only seemed to lose it when cycling.
    Sounds like the issue I have exactly. Maybe I'll talk to fox about a new rp23 for it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast