mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Praxis- Forged Chain Rings

A new company called Praxis will soon be offering "Forged" chain rings. They look pretty sweet! See the Bike Radar write up:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...1-praxis-30017

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    The pic is their prototype road crankset.

I picked up a set of their mtb triple forged rings after Sea Otter. Mounting them on a bike this weekend.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Unbelievable! I should have know you would have scored a pair! Hey, before mounting them please weight them as I am curious about the weight. Oh and I just left you a little note on Facebook about shooting video of the bikes with a Kodak play sport camera. Just a little clip for each bike would be great. Oh and showing off your new cranks on video would be highly acceptable too. Thanks!

mtbr member

Praxis Works Forged Chainrings

Hey guys... our Forged MTN 3X rings weigh in at 150g total, with the big ring being 90g.
    We're in final steps of our prep for aftermarket and a full offering of our forged replacement rings will be avail to shops in the USA soon. Online direct store also soon.
    Thanks for the interest as we're stoked to be getting this tech out to riders!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Well first of all, thanks for stopping buy and sharing your tech with us. Do you mind if I ask you some questions?

1) What type of aluminum are the chain rings forged out of?

2) Compared to Shimano and SRAM chain rings what is the weight penalty for using Praxis forged rings?
    (5-10% on average because of the deep draws?)

3) Normally Shimano is considered the king of aluminum forging how is it that Praxis is now starting to muscle in on Shimano’s territory?

4) Do you think SRAM and Shimano have a global conspiracy to banish the 44 tooth chain ring?

what's that rattle?
    Some further info can be found on their website:

http://praxiscycles.com/

mtbr member
    Last edited by Praxis Works; 05-10-2011 at 02:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks for the link and the clip! But that just raises more questions. I'll number them so that you can give me a simple yes or no answer.

1) Is the timing issue on the chain rings the reason why all chain rings have an even number of chain ring teeth?

2) I always wondered why no one came out with a odd numbered chain rings such as 43-33-23 to take advantage of the new 11-36 cassettes?

3) Is there a possibility that Praxis will come out with cassettes in the future?

Just a side note:

Praxis seems like a very good synergistic fit for a SR Suntour, KMC chain, Magura, and Notubes merger. I thought I might add that, just in case someone with deep pockets wanted to go on a shopping spree and build a super bicycle company. Did I mention that the Shimano's Rapid Fire shifting patents are expired or are about to expire. The only thing missing here is the venture capital. (Berkshire Hathaway anyone?)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Wow, new metalurgical break through that will definetly impact mountain biking.

"It's called Metalglass and it's 'tougher than titanium'"

http://blogs.forbes.com/alexknapp/20...etallic-glass/

Austin, Texas
    Praxis: Any chain ring guides in the works?
    Austin, Texas