mtbr member

New question here. Possible EG purchase....

I'm looking into a new frame. Had a 2007 spec enduro non-sl model. It was built to 34# with chris king hubs, 36 talas R fork and a dhx air rear shock. I loved to ride the bike but I hated trying to get it up the hills. I parted it to get a 2008 stumpy, still mostly stock but at 27# it's a rocket compared to the enduro up hills. I find myself wishing I still had the stifness of the enduro but without the huge weight penalty. However, I've wondered if the loss in stiffness isn't from moving from a 20mm dropout fork to a standard qr model. (I'm sure that's alot of it) BUT! I'm not a big fan of tossing alot of parts at a bike and trying to make it something it's not (stumpy is not a FR bike and the enduro was not a XC racer). To try to stiffen the stumpy the only option is a 15qr fork and hoping that helps.

So what's the opinion on the EG for a very aggresive xc rider who still wants to hit some dirtjumps? I'm wanting to head to snowshoe WV this summer but I'd hate to destroy a perfectly good stumpy. I've used up the travel on the rear of the stumpy so many times I'm thinking I'll kill the rear shock soon (even with 20# more air than my weight calls for).

Being a part time employee at a shop that sells 99.9% specialized makes buying something else kinda tough. The boss is great and would get set up with titus just to get me a bike but I hate to impose. I've even toyed with getting an enduro sl but I just don't like the look of them.

Knowing what I've riden and what I want to do is the EG a good idea? The bike would see rides in the 15-20 mile range three times a week on average. Is that too much saddle time for something that seems FR oriented?

What are the big differences between the 08 and 09? I love that they switched the cable routing under the TT! why do they even try it on the side???

Also being on an American made bike would feel great too!

mtbr member
    Its my compromise for a do-it-all. And it does pretty much just that.
    Fact is 6 inch upfront with the usual accompaniment of burly AM stuff won't ever quite get it to climb with the nimbleness of a HT or 4" xc. But if u are like me and just cant quite get away from the XC roots of pushing anything up when its rideable, this actually is the most climbable frame in this category imo.

But the above is all on 6"...since u have the TALAS 36, wind it down to 130mm, then its like XC on steroid. The one time i drop itm to 100mm...it was way too low and felt weird. Bike's pic on my profile if u're interestedk.

Taking jumps and all, no problem, I'm sure if u seen the pics here of what some are doing with the EG, you would be convinced. The EG has a one piece solid rocker, not those tiny ones that I wouldn't trust to go for more than a 3 foot drop.