Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Pictures of the new RX29ER

Here is a picture of the new Titus RX29ER.

Oh so black and shiny!

Not all pain is gain...
    Oh wow. That's pretty awesome.

thanks for sharing...

MSH
    mtbr member
    Sweet! Can't tell from pix. Is it carbon?
    Are the Titus folks there at SeaOtter providing targeted frame weight? My medium '08 is right at 6.25lbs. Curious if the new ones will be close to the same or under the old models.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    No it's 6069 aluminum, can't you see the welds?
    Sorry...not from the pic I'm seeing on my end. Maybe just my crappy screen. At any rate, thanks for the info..much appreciated

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    No it's 6069 aluminum, can't you see the welds?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That was sarcasm, no welds, it's sweet, sweet carbon!

mtbr member
    That is a little Special...ized.

Sorry.

mtbr member
    So these frames must have been in development before On-One bought Titus? I dont think they could have ramped up design and production that quickly. Kudos to them bringing them out.

mtbr member

weight

Hey dudes
    http://seaotter.mtbr.com/2011/04/14/...r-x-29-carbon/
    linky link says it weighs 4 pounds !

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Yes, this is carbon. The frame was pretty much ready before On-One acquired Titus.
    It is a preproduction sample that needs to be thras...err test ridden.

Ben weighed the frame straight out of the box, all hardware, no shock, no paint, at 4 pounds even. Expect about 5pounds with shock and paint.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

And it is just one of SEVEN new or updated models we have on display this week.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

Spill the beans

Shiggy -

that 29er would complete my carbon titus quiver
    Carbon FTM , 2008 carbon racerX

common how bout a few hints for the Titus faithful !

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hey Ben, I think I'll be in the market for one of these bad boys! Set one aside for me!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    well hell, display them here too....PICS!

MSH
    mtbr member
    Yes, this is carbon. The frame was pretty much ready before On-One acquired Titus.
    It is a preproduction sample that needs to be thras...err test ridden.

Ben weighed the frame straight out of the box, all hardware, no shock, no paint, at 4 pounds even. Expect about 5pounds with shock and paint.
    Nice! When is anticipated first customer ship?

Edit - One additional question. Seeing that endurance racers will be a portion of the target market will there be two water bottle mounts? I certainly miss the extra mount on my current RX29.
    Last edited by MSH; 04-14-2011 at 09:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Keep an unpainted option. It does look very special-ed, but I'm okay with that.

mtbr member
    Another pics......

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Lab28; 04-15-2011 at 03:48 AM.
    Titus Eleven / Merlin XLM / Seven Sola

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Looks really good. But Nothing too revolutionary. Success will come down to price.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab28
    Another pics......
    Thanks! Looks like these pix answer my question on two water bottle mounts. Hope Titus reconsiders for final production model.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MSH
    Thanks! Looks like these pix answer my question on two water bottle mounts. Hope Titus reconsiders for final production model.
    where would thewey put them? hard to believe that they'd redesign the front triangle to fit an extra h2o boss. not busting your balls, just saying.

MSH
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    where would thewey put them? hard to believe that they'd redesign the front triangle to fit an extra h2o boss. not busting your balls, just saying.
    Agreed tough call on location. Only option that I can see is underside of downtube down low like the Tallboy.
    As I stated before a large portion of the target market would be folks that do long XC endurance riding/racing. For me it's not a deal killer by any means, but I really do miss having the 2 cages on my '08 RX29. For 3 hr+ training rides it's nice to only have to do one h20 bottle in the jersey rather than 2. And I hate to use my Osprey pack unless I absolutely have to

Dozer
    Water bottle mounting problem solved.

I understand the decision to use the older style Titus head badge (since the company is no longer an AZ company), but it's a shame. The other one was a lot better-looking.

Cool bike. I'd love to ride one!

mtbr member
    well hell, display them here too....PICS!
    Check out Flickr!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    NICE. Looking like a full fleet of bikes...

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahdog31
    I understand the decision to use the older style Titus head badge (since the company is no longer an AZ company), but it's a shame. The other one was a lot better-looking.
    Sorry, totally disagree. I love the Old Skool Headbadge.... Thanks for bringing it back and not coming out with a totaly redesigned one!

And yeah, you can always mount an extra cage behind the seat....

Rear seat stays look much improved... hope they hold up!

Uhmmm... no BB30 or PF30?

Good going Shiggy and Co. Glad to see Titus making a splash!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

At Work
    looks like the FTM is now a Motolite. Looks identical to my 09 FTM!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never understood the drama over the name. My FTM rides incredible, just like a motolite.
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku

Quote Originally Posted by EGF168
    Check out Flickr!
    Thank you for the link EGF. I barely have time to upload to there and Facebook. I can check here for questions
    mtbtires.com

Always tough to fit bottle cages on a fully. I like lots of mounts, too, but hate under the DT mounts.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Agreed tough call on location. Only option that I can see is underside of downtube down low like the Tallboy.
    As I stated before a large portion of the target market would be folks that do long XC endurance riding/racing. For me it's not a deal killer by any means, but I really do miss having the 2 cages on my '08 RX29. For 3 hr+ training rides it's nice to only have to do one h20 bottle in the jersey rather than 2. And I hate to use my Osprey pack unless I absolutely have to
    I fully agree. On my 4+ hr training rides, I like to have a couple multi-hour concentrate bottles of sports drink + a camelback. 3 hours and under, if it's not too hot, two bottles on the bike, and one in the jersey pocket. My motolite has this setup. Yeah, the bottom of the down tube isn't ideal, but it is a hell of a lot better than the seatpost mounts-- they all suck, IMO.

It's not a deal killer for me either, but it is part of the reason why the Tallboy sits on top of my dream list. Nutrition and hydration affect my performance more than a frame design. Plus, a mount on the bottom makes a nice place to attach a removable frame protector.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Seriously, if you are going on a three hour ride you should be taking a well stocked camel back pack and your water bottle should be holding a sports drink. So it's really a mute point.

At Work
    Uh, there are several companies that make a setup to put bottle cages attached to your seat tube!!!!!!!!! Or, Wear a Hydration Pack!
    TREK EX9 27.5

NINER MCR 9 (Moondust)

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Seriously, if you are going on a three hour ride you should be taking a well stocked camel back pack and your water bottle should be holding a sports drink. So it's really a mute point.
    Hmm, I must have missed that page in the rule book.
    Seriously, I've been riding with camelbacks since the first ones came out in 1990. At one point, I might have been their biggest fan. But now, I prefer to ride without them whenever possible. Unless there is a chance of real weather moving in, I can fit everything I need in a small seatbag, jersey pockets, and water bottles. I still ride with one on real long rides, generally over three hours. But after 5 hours, one bottle and a 100 oz bladder is not enough. And for racing, it's a lot easier to grab a few bottles at feed zones than fill a bladder.
    So I would say, it's not a moot point.
    Edit: CC understood this, Titus bikes had the second mount until he left. His new bikes have them as well.
    Last edited by Whambat; 04-15-2011 at 12:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    but hate under the DT mounts.
    The nice thing about extra mounts, you don't have to use them if you don't like them. I hate under DT mounts for a primary location, but it works fine for secondary.

Sorry that this thread derailed into a bottle mount discussion, just some simple requests for one extra mount if possible. Most people at endurance races use a second mount if they got one. This frame looks ideal for those events.

To change the subject: x-12 or veritcal dropouts?

High Alpine Adventure
    Geez... we're beetching about bottle mounts when we should be marveling at the revised seat stay design... at least I think it's a revised seat stay design!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pictures of the new RX29ER-titus29.jpg  

Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

Team Awesome
    I like the swoopy TT, but not the swoopy DT.

I feel like the niner air nine gets curviness right, but the on-one bikes look like they are melting. They probably look better in person though.

I'm sure they ride great, too, they just aren't the best looking things, IMO

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    Geez... we're beetching about bottle mounts when we should be marveling at the revised seat stay design... at least I think it's a revised seat stay design!
    The new stays do look great. Even the AL models in that flikr link look great with the carbon rear end.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    There is actually two very good reason why most companies avoid putting water bottle mounts on the under side of the down tube on carbon bikes. The water bottle mounts usally pull out of carbon frames under riding conditions. Also most carbon bikes fail in the down tube area so smart bike companies now put some sort protective armor there.

Get out of town!
    Very nice. Glad to see the return of the Racer X!!! If I had the cash in hand I would actually prefer the 26" version. That is the one bike I really regret selling (to fund a Ventana El Rey which I was not too crazy about).
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

MSH
    mtbr member
    There is actually two very good reason why most companies avoid putting water bottle mounts on the under side of the down tube on carbon bikes. The water bottle mounts usally pull out of carbon frames under riding conditions....
    Haven't heard of that one. Are there some examples you are aware on the mtbr boards? I haven't heard of this happening on the Tallboys but maybe I missed something.

jms
    mtbr member

Thanks Mark

Thanks for mentioning that cage thing Mark. Saves me from doing it. C'mon Shig, stack bottle mounts along the top of the down tube, at least so you can use two smalls.

And for those of you yapping @ using a pack/no need for a second bottle mount, get back to me after racing in 90 degree heat all day, and not having that extra ventilation available.

Great looking rig BTW. Like I wrote, "Revenge Of The Fallen".
    My Favorite Peeps:

J:
    Lunker
    What's the wheelbase on that rizzle?

J:
    Lunker
    One a day?????? let see em

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Haven't heard of that one. Are there some examples you are aware on the mtbr boards? I haven't heard of this happening on the Tallboys but maybe I missed something.
    I have yet to hear of that either. Mounts could still work with armor just fine. Neither reason explains why the al models are also missing a second mount that previous models had. I didn't think it was something to care about until I got my motolite that had two mounting spots, which I didn't even use the first year I had it, but after I started getting back into longer rides and racing, I tried it and have become addicted. The funny part is that Titus is what got me hooked on it, now they dropped the idea. Just consider it for the next redesign.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Idea! Rx 26

Quote Originally Posted by Ridin'Dirty
    Very nice. Glad to see the return of the Racer X!!! If I had the cash in hand I would actually prefer the 26" version. That is the one bike I really regret selling (to fund a Ventana El Rey which I was not too crazy about).
    I took a couple back in trade just cuz I love the 2007 white and the classic black Racer X.
    Let my friends ride and race them for the classic Titus experience.
    And cage mounts!

Am looking for the matching 2007 Fox F100 to go with it. Perfect paint match.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hey MSH, the reason I know about this is because Scot Nicol (Chuck Ibis) warns about this issue in the Ibis "bike set up manual", page 8. For most Carbon Fiber frames the water bottle mounts are epoxy bonded rivnuts. These rivnuts work well for pure shear loads but not so well against the rivetnuts pulling out of the carbon fiber in tension like on the under side of the down tube. So just be aware of the problem and you should be fine.

http://www.ibiscycles.com/support/set-up_guide/

mtbr member
    The pix do not do it justice, I was there and let me tell you that thing is sick... So here is the scoop directly from Titus Product Managers at Sea Otter....

There will be 3 29ers

1. Bike Shown
    2. Hardtail version

drum roll...
    3. El Guapo 29er w 140mm...due later this year...

Other updates are the FTM is gone replaced with an updated MotoLite very clean and nice, displayed at Sea Otter Aswell.

Great reps at sea otter and answered every question I had.
    -R

Oakland
    2010 Titus El Guapo
    2011 Corsair Crown

http://www.titusti.com/2010/
    http://www.corsairbikes.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rarroyo
    The pix do not do it justice, I was there and let me tell you that thing is sick... So here is the scoop directly from Titus Product Managers at Sea Otter....

There will be 3 29ers

1. Bike Shown
    2. Hardtail version

drum roll...
    3. El Guapo 29er w 140mm...due later this year...

Other updates are the FTM is gone replaced with an updated MotoLite very clean and nice, displayed at Sea Otter Aswell.

Great reps at sea otter and answered every question I had.
    You forgot the Racer X 29 alloy.

More likely next year for the EG 29.

All of the RX and ML frames will use the all carbon rear ends and the beefed up carbon rocker link. Down tubes on the AL frames are also thicker wall for increased durability and stiffness.
    Last edited by shiggy; 04-16-2011 at 05:06 AM.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by Whambat
    The nice thing about extra mounts, you don't have to use them if you don't like them. I hate under DT mounts for a primary location, but it works fine for secondary.

Sorry that this thread derailed into a bottle mount discussion, just some simple requests for one extra mount if possible. Most people at endurance races use a second mount if they got one. This frame looks ideal for those events.

To change the subject: x-12 or veritcal dropouts?
    Vertical dropouts
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    Same all carbon rearend as on the Rockstar. It has been very reliable.
    Last edited by shiggy; 04-16-2011 at 05:07 AM.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member

Motolite lives!!

what's the frame travel? Is it back down to 5" even or does it retain the FTM's bump to 135mm?

Will it be offered in carbon or Ti?
    Never play leap-frog with a unicorn!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast