Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Its All Good"

Part 3 - EL G in da house (Demo)

Rode for at least 5 hours today in the El G..................Did a trail called Berryman Trail, Potosi, Missouri. A loop of just over 24 miles and 23.8 miles of this is pure single track... I really enjoyed this ride, loads of short ups and downs, switchbacks a plenty, rocks, roots, rock slabs, knarly speedy short downhills, this trail had is all.... But F%&k a duck it was hot and really humid, dont think I have sweat this much before... Had a blast though.

Will add my disclaimer here again, the Pearl shock sucked, but I love the El G, as I said, I wasnt going to let the fact the Pearl sucks, let my thoughts of the bike be lowered...

So as I said, rode for 5 hours on the El G, it is a great all day epic bike to ride... I am stunned that I pretty much cannot tell this bike weighs more than my ML. It is a pleasure to ride for hours.......... Did loads of climbing today, these were short, rocky, rootey climbs, the front end just does not wonder at all, barely gets light, this is amazing for a 160mm fork.......

I am now understanding what FM meant saying he has gone to the RFX with 6 inches of travel, but will AM ride it.... The El G is like this, for my riding, this bike can replace the MotoLite with ease.... Dare I say it, the Nomad is getting great reviews as a great true adaptable to all terrain more or less bike, the EL G will be in this realm for sure...

It was mentioned in my other post that we are still yet to hear feedback of the El G with another shock combo. This will really be the tell all on this frame........

I got used to the Pearl for sure, hated the pppsssttt every time the shock compressed, it was not really active on the small bumps etc, but hucking it say from 2 or more feet, I felt the shock worked OK....

All in all, a very worthwhile weekend demoing the El G.... Need to sort out when the Ti version will be available..............

I really recommend getting yourself a demo if you are in the market for a new steed, even if your thoughts are with a ML, you will be pleasantly surprised....

A few shots, we had to much fun to take loads of photos. If you are in the area of this trail, well worth a visit and ride this trail.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"Its All Good"
    A few more
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Veni Vidi Vici
    Whafe... your not only the king of the Bling you are also King of Temptation 2 weeks ago I thought my UGI is cured ..... BTW nice pics.. thanks for sharing

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by barelylegal
    Whafe... your not only the king of the Bling you are also King of Temptation 2 weeks ago I thought my UGI is cured ..... BTW nice pics.. thanks for sharing
    Yep, know that temptation thing, some ways demoing this was bad for the UGI, not that I need to upgrade anything... Will await some other views to come forward for sure..... Would only upgrade if I could find a decent home for the ExoGrid ML....

Just packing the El G back into its box so as it can head back home to Competitive Cyclist.... That company has a slick operation going with demo bikes, and they are not shabby spec'd bikes either.... Ryan & Eric, go you good things you....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Whafe,

That same EG is coming my way in two weeks. Thanks for the great write-up's. Remember, the Ti version is in the pipeline...

Competitive Cyclist is for sure the shnizzle...

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by orthorex
    Whafe,

That same EG is coming my way in two weeks. Thanks for the great write-up's. Remember, the Ti version is in the pipeline...

Competitive Cyclist is for sure the shnizzle...
    Yep, she is all snug as a bug in the box, all ready for you.... Enjoy, am sure you will.... Just ignore the Pearl shock, it is still an awesome bike despite the shock....

Yeah, I saw the 2nd version at the Titus factory.... mmmmm Hopefully it is not far from being commercial............

Totally agree, Competitive Cyclist get a [SIZE="5"]HUGE [/SIZE]headsup from me..

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Nice series Whafe, nice pics, looks like some tasty stuff in what I take to be your "back yard"

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Nice series Whafe, nice pics, looks like some tasty stuff in what I take to be your "back yard"
    Just a temporary back yard whilst I am doing some work in St Louis for 2 weeks, back home to Spain on Thursday night.....To my more permanent backyard for one week, then to Whistler for one week of riding, a dream come true to ride there, yeah ha. Not too many sleeps to go.....

But my real backyard is New Zealand............. Will get back there at some stage....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Whafe
    has
    a
    flying
    el guapo

.... soon

Ti is addictive
    Awesome series Whafe.........don't dump the motolite yet. Take delivery of the Ti EG, transfer the wheels and drivetrain over, and WW the motolite as you convert it to a strictly 4 inch XC machine......voila. problem solved.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

Veni Vidi Vici
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Whafe
    has
    a
    flying
    el guapo

.... soon

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    A.M.: ROTFL

Whafe: New Zealand. *sigh* I had such a good vacation there and only got to ride twice, jeepers but I would love to go back.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    A.M.: ROTFL

Whafe: New Zealand. *sigh* I had such a good vacation there and only got to ride twice, jeepers but I would love to go back.
    bear, AM is indeed a poet, mean that, he can put words together so well...

Well, if you were to go back to NZ, let me know, will hook you up for sure... Am thinking when I finally relocate back, going to have to put a road trip of MTB together in NZ, for all the MTBR buddies to come and shread the trails etc....

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Awesome series Whafe.........don't dump the motolite yet. Take delivery of the Ti EG, transfer the wheels and drivetrain over, and WW the motolite as you convert it to a strictly 4 inch XC machine......voila. problem solved.
    I really didnt need you to come forward with a very logical and best practice solution TiE.... But am down with that, role on bonus time...

Sheesh am trying to eliminate bikes, not gain more.... So what about my dream of a 29er SS.....

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Sheesh am trying to eliminate bikes, not gain more.... So what about my dream of a 29er SS.....

Uhmmm it comes in 29'er exogrid form as well with triple exogrid tubes, so order one of those as well
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Uhmmm it comes in 29'er exogrid form as well with triple exogrid tubes, so order one of those as well
    Look dude, cut it out!

Dont you think I dont stare at this picture daily...

Master of None
    Very nice review, well done. The bike looks good too. The Pearl is pretty harsh but as long as you know that then it is ok. I am not sure why the DHX air is not offered on the demo bikes, it's probably a better shock and I think is offered from Titus, not sure though.

If I may ask, what is your leg inseam? I was torn between L and M; pretty happy with the medium, 34" inseam here. The GD post I have is a 4" drop model and would love to get a 5" whenever they come out so M is probably a better choice if I move that direction.

Isn't it weird how climbing is so fun? More fun than a hardtail I think.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    Very nice review, well done. The bike looks good too. The Pearl is pretty harsh but as long as you know that then it is ok. I am not sure why the DHX air is not offered on the demo bikes, it's probably a better shock and I think is offered from Titus, not sure though.

If I may ask, what is your leg inseam? I was torn between L and M; pretty happy with the medium, 34" inseam here. The GD post I have is a 4" drop model and would love to get a 5" whenever they come out so M is probably a better choice if I move that direction.

Isn't it weird how climbing is so fun? More fun than a hardtail I think.
    It is a big topic as to why Titus deliver this steed with the Pearl, am still keen to hear the logic behind it... Am sure we will begin to hear some reviews with the DHX Air and other shocks in time. Be keen to hear how the Roco Air goes..... Thinking Roco Air and a new Marz 55....mmmmmmmmmmm

You sure can, ask about my leg inseam, jus tnot my middle leg. My inseam is 34.2 inches, have long arms apparently 28 inches...

Kinda interesting reading your inseam and that you are on a medium, and I feel the large is perfect with a 50mm stem, what stem length are you running on your medium?

And yes, am still blown away how well the El G climbs..... Fantistico...

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Am thinking when I finally relocate back, going to have to put a road trip of MTB together in NZ, for all the MTBR buddies to come and shread the trails etc....

"Be rude not 2"
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

Master of None
    It is a big topic as to why Titus deliver this steed with the Pearl, am still keen to hear the logic behind it... Am sure we will begin to hear some reviews with the DHX Air and other shocks in time. Be keen to hear how the Roco Air goes..... Thinking Roco Air and a new Marz 55....mmmmmmmmmmm

You sure can, ask about my leg inseam, jus tnot my middle leg. My inseam is 34.2 inches, have long arms apparently 28 inches...

Kinda interesting reading your inseam and that you are on a medium, and I feel the large is perfect with a 50mm stem, what stem length are you running on your medium?

And yes, am still blown away how well the El G climbs..... Fantistico...
    I saw that Competitive Cyclist offers the DHX air on the frame as new and somewhere I read that it is a factory option but I don't know for sure.. But yeah the Pearl is an "interesting" choice.

No need for middle leg lengths, unless you use it to pedal with, that would be something..

I have a ~50mm stem also with long bars, love the feel. It gives me room to move, I never have problems getting my butt back. On the climbs I just push the elbows out to get the weight forward, no big thing.. The short wheelbase helps the handling I'm sure. I like the more upright position..

Am curious about the large but the med felt so good that I went with it and I'm happy.

"El Whatever"
    Be keen to hear how the Roco Air goes..... Thinking Roco Air and a new Marz 55....mmmmmmmmmmm
    You meant 2008 66, right??
    Maybe 55 with RC2???
    Check my Site

the 36 year old grom
    It is a big topic as to why Titus deliver this steed with the Pearl, am still keen to hear the logic behind it..
    cost and weight..... the guapo is kinda heavy and doesn't look cheap to make. If they had to skimp to hit a price point and a weiht target.... at least the shox is replacable.

and one thing to keep in mind... What feals best to the butt is not always "fastest". they may have used timed rider testing. the pearl has a heavy platform. the DHX A up to 07 had a very light platform compared to the pearl.. if you have norba pro cranking on it... the hard tail is going to win.

I'm very please with my guapo's suspension feel with a DHXA. its a lot smoother then a ML with a push RP3. and has a very broad tunning range.

my only concern thus far with the guapo handling is the low BB. it can really sneak up and bite me once I get tired.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    my only concern thus far with the guapo handling is the low BB. it can really sneak up and bite me once I get tired.
    I feel it, Demo... but IMHO, precisely when you're tired, when a low BB it's better (unless you're doing log piles). Being tired you make more mistakes and negotiating corners can get spooky.

Put a longer fork and call it a day...
    (just pulling yer chain)
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    Demo, you make good points as normal... I didnt at all hate the Pearl, have just ridden better shocks... I was NEVER in all the ride time cursing the shock.. I like to adapt to what I have, this bike hauled arse really for the weight. I for sure think this model will gain momentum, it is a stella frame...

As I said in my first review post, the low BB nearly caused a major for me.. But got used to it... Did notice it loads on log crossings.... Just a time thing to get used to.... If (LOL) I build up an El G, I would run a double ring with a bash guard for sure....

Sheesh the El G floated my boat, skid my wheels, turned my crank.... is a beasty ride....YEAH HA

Hi ya Minty, bit of roasted bok over the weekend........ Not many sleeps for you bro, yeah ha, time is ticking on, am just stoked....

mtbr member
    May 2006

Why the Pearl?

It is a big topic as to why Titus deliver this steed with the Pearl, am still keen to hear the logic behind it
    Why the Pearl? It is a question that I hear often. All I can say is at the time we were deciding the spec for the 2007 line, the Pearl that we used in testing was the best performing shock available to us. (If you are so inclined, you can do a search and read my notes to our findings) I assume that other manufacturers felt the shock had some merit too, because I have seen the Pearl spec'd on other bikes as well.

I can only speculate that there was some change that took place between the time we did our testing and the time that Rock Shox went into production with the Pearl. I do know that the Pearl that we tested was a was a pre-production model and built in Chicago. Perhaps that is why it felt so good. Maybe these pictures from Dodge can shed some light...You can see a major difference in the Dodge Charger from the concept vehicle that was first shown to what the production version finally looked like.

Anyway, it looks as if we may have missed the mark on shock choice, but once you purchase a year's worth of components it's hard to make a switch mid-stream. Additionally, there have been so many negative comments out there on this damper that I think it has become a self-fulfilling prophecy...i.e. everyone says this shock stinks, so that is how you perceive it when it is ridden. Of course the nice thing is that if a component is flawed it can easily be replaced. If the frame design is flawed, well that is a much harder one to fix.

I hope this sheds some light on our choice. There's not much to say other than at the time it was the best we had to work with. I wish I had something a little more profound to share with you. With RS discontinuing the Pearl for next year you can bet there there will be a new damper on the 2008 Guapo's. I won't tell you what it is, but for what it's worth, we have spent a considerable amount of time working with the manufacturer to get this one right. We've gone through four different revisions of this shock to make sure that it is dialed and I think you will be a lot happier with our choice this time around.

As always, let me know if there's anything that I can do for you.

Ride On!

Jeff

Jeff Titone
    Marketing Manager
    Titus Cycles
    www.titusti.com
    jeff@titusti.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast