Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Its All Good"

Good job! Part 2 - EL G in da house (Demo)

So spent 4 hours on the El G today, rode in St Louis on this groovy little trail named Chubb Trail, few associated trails strap onto this also. A fantastic little trail area really close to St Louis....

First up, I would like to say "this bike blew me away"

I dont say this lightly, but I think this may be one of the better steeds I have ridden to date. This trail is very rocky and quite technical. I have not ever got on a bike and felt so at home. Will say this once, the shock sucked, but we all know that, so I was not allowing that to get in the way of sussing this bike out. I mentioned last night after my play in the carpark of the hotel to get things sorted, how I liked how the cockpit felt. I kinda felt like I was sitting in the bike, this felt fantastic. With a 50mm stem, the fit was perfect more or less, cant imagine having a longer stem. The HA is slack, this is a great attribute of the frame and build, it still turned great in the tight stuff, and was a blast on the DH areas. I really noticed the lower BB, had a great pedal smack that nearly dumped me off. I got used to this quickly though. This bike just rails corners, seriously handles like a dream... I was stunned how well this bike climbs, with a 160mm fork up front, the front never wondered on the climbs, was kinda stunned. The slack HA will be helping this... I would be willing to say I could climb anything I could climb on my ML just as well on the EL G..... You do not really know you have 6 inches beneath you, but when the nose is pointed DH, it is an absolute dream, plush city for sure.... In the carpark, I did some hucks off some retaining walls, around 4 feet to flat, smooth as a giant smooth thing....

The Lyric up front performed great, was kinda cool to have experience with my Pike, my Totem and now ride the Lyric, it is indeed a very cool fork, very smooth, rated it well.

I am stoked.... My original feelinigs were that, this could quite easily have people bypass an ML and purchase the El G.... If I was lookign for a bike right now, I would take an EL G over the ML. And you know how much I love my ML....... This bike rocks...

I cannot put ride points into words as well as some of our MTBR buddies, I am more a just get into it and ride guy, so hope these few words gave some insight...You could easily ride this bike in comfort all day..........

Had a great day on this bike. We will head out again for a long ride tomorrow morning, hopefully be able to find some more jumps etc...

Few pics of today, not alot of action shots, was having to much fun...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

trail fairy
    Nice review bro

So Alloy or Ti Exo

Whats the specc gonna be

Is this the new AM/NZ steed
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    May 2005

Cool-blue Rhythm

OK Whafe. I am going to hook up 'that' bike for my trip to Downieville in two
    weeks. Love the write-up. I am calling competitivecyclist tomorrow, again...

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by orthorex
    OK Whafe. I am going to hook up 'that' bike for my trip to Downieville in two
    weeks. Love the write-up. I am calling competitivecyclist tomorrow, again...
    Dude, for sure try this bike before commiting to a ML. If I was looking at an ML, I would purchase this ahead of the ML.. Straight up I would.....

Will give some more words tomorrow. I cannot do write ups like some can, I love to just get on a bike and get busy on it.....

But will be keen to hear how it goes at Downieville, should be sweet as..........
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Nice review bro

So Alloy or Ti Exo

Whats the specc gonna be

Is this the new AM/NZ steed
    TA, it would be Ti for sure.... Cannot build an ExoGrid El G, there is bits n bobs welded onto each tube so to speak, so no can do.....

So Ali or Ti......................

Well it is like DT says there is no overlap between the Spot and RFX...................So could easily have an EL G and the Nicolai..............

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    TA, it would be Ti for sure.... Cannot build an ExoGrid El G, there is bits n bobs welded onto each tube so to speak, so no can do.....

So Ali or Ti......................

Well it is like DT says there is no overlap between the Spot and RFX...................So could easily have an EL G and the Nicolai..............
    Looking forward to the project status getting kicked off, I reckon shed be sweet with a Rocco TST ti spring or CCDB, some I9s and your usual favs fork looks a good match

GB and I were hamering the big stuff up the Poo today giving the mudge some air flying tips, the DJs are really making us smooth

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I put my eyes on the Ti EG at San Francisco demo day
    earlier this year.
    That thing was seriously freakish. No overlap with the RX.

Could be a problem.

Whafe, your reviews are $ !

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by orthorex
    I put my eyes on the Ti EG at San Francisco demo day
    earlier this year.
    That thing was seriously freakish. No overlap with the RX.

Could be a problem.

Whafe, your reviews are $ !
    yeah, sheesh the Ti El G was pure sex on toast.....................mmmmmmm YUMMY it was...................

TA, not thinking of builds yet, but yes would go with I9's................... Have to see what bonus time brings. I may not have worked hard enough this year.

The El G hums along like a 2 inch travel bike, with a 6 shooter in ya pocket ready to rumble when needed................... The thing is well " teh good looking one "

No, that's not phonetic
    the shock sucked... it is an absolute dream, plush city for sure.... smooth as a giant smooth thing....
    Ok, I'm confused. I had a really hard time rating the rest of the Guapo since I had a hard time getting past the Pearl's performance. I know you talk a lot about the handling, which is legit without needing to quote suspension behavior, but jeeze, I don't even like my own bikes when I have crappy dampers mounted.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    nice review, Whafe!

El Guapo definitely looks good

gravity curmudgeon
    Funny that you X'd out the shock in the first pic!

When I took out an EG demo I too was very impressed with how well it climbed. I was also smitten with the solid, balanced feel of the bike. When I hopped off or over things, it was the most solid feeling landings I have experienced. However, like many others I couldn't find rear suspension love and, like many others, wanted to X-out that shock and try something different. I was also not clear that I had the shock setup right, although it also didn't seem like I needed brain surgeon knowledge to have at it. The thing that I wonder is how well other shocks match with the EG, given that Titus was so vocal about how the Pearl was the best shock for the EG. If I had heard that others were throwing shock A or B on the EG and loving it, I might have bought one.

Looking forward to more reporting from your demo. It would have been nice to have had more than 1 hour to ride it.

Veni Vidi Vici
    Nice review Whafe you look good in that El Guapo

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Ok, I'm confused. I had a really hard time rating the rest of the Guapo since I had a hard time getting past the Pearl's performance. I know you talk a lot about the handling, which is legit without needing to quote suspension behavior, but jeeze, I don't even like my own bikes when I have crappy dampers mounted.
    As I mentioned tsc, I am not great at putting my riding experience into words as you are. I am also not as bright on shocks in huge detail as you are... I also said I am one to just ride and enjoy.... Having said that, my Push'd RP23 and CCDB would piss all over the Pearl............This we know.........I still really enjoyed this bike....Will post up about today's ride.....

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    for sure you can tell if the bike fits U. what else could be more important???

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    for sure you can tell if the bike fits U. what else could be more important???
    the bike has Turner written on it

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by tsheezy

Legit inquiry IMO, and I have the same problem on my own bike if the susp isn't right however you know as well as anybody, and better than most that a shock can feel plush or harsh in different parts of the stroke. Also I feel that if the shock is indeed working properly even though it sucks/you don't like it, you can still get a good measure of how a bike (should) feel.

Also I feel I might be a bit more familiar with Whafe's "review style" and how it seems like he gets the feel of a bike. After all I ride the same type bike as Whafe, and he like myself, has tried a different shock or two on his bike so IMO should also lend itself to his evaluation in my view.

That and he's a Kiwi.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Legit inquiry IMO, and I have the same problem on my own bike if the susp isn't right however you know as well as anybody, and better than most that a shock can feel plush or harsh in different parts of the stroke. Also I feel that if the shock is indeed working properly even though it sucks/you don't like it, you can still get a good measure of how a bike (should) feel.

Also I feel I might be a bit more familiar with Whafe's "review style" and how it seems like he gets the feel of a bike. After all I ride the same type bike as Whafe, and he like myself, has tried a different shock or two on his bike so IMO should also lend itself to his evaluation in my view.

That and he's a Kiwi.
    Yep a crazy kiwi, watch them kiwi's...

I get bamboozled for words trying to explain things...... I loved the feel and fit of the bike, the fork was great, the shock could be far better. I still gleened more than enough info re how the bike performed, climbed, decended, etc etc... A good well set shock would have only enhanced this more.........

So thank you BA for you being able to understand me...I feel I am a semi competent rider, those that rode last year at the Titus ride, can better comment if in fact I can ride a mtb, so feel I can judge the El G, just not as a tech writer for Dirt Rag...Phew..

If I was so concerned that I wouldnt be bale to gain an insight into how the El G performed with a Pearl, I would not by any means have demo'd one.... But I had a magic weekend of riding, away from home on a bike I had never ridden... So I am more than stoked.

If indeed a Ti version was available I would have an order in now, along with selling the ExoGrid ML frame..............

If indeed a Ti version was available I would have an order in now, along with selling the ExoGrid ML frame..............
    wow.. that is a blunt statement... you really liked it

"El Whatever"
    Dang... Large size is way too much for me. Otherwise, I'd be praying for the Ti to come along ASAP.
    Check my Site

Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Dang... Large size is way too much for me. Otherwise, I'd be praying for the Ti to come along ASAP.

you could use a 50mm stem.....

...flipped towards you

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    you could use a 50mm stem.....

...flipped towards you

That'd be RAD!!!
    Check my Site

Quote Originally Posted by Warp

That'd be RAD!!!

mtbr member
    Nice review bro! Damn that EG is sexy. Anyone want to but my ML? Hah jk.
    "Sometimes you just gotta say "I'm an irresponsible person, and I put skiing powder before my friends, family, and job.""

trail fairy
    Dude glad you enjoyed the bike, but if you like it why wait or hold off for Ti

The only reason to me to ge Ti mainly is for long term durability and finish, a scratchy pad always makes it look like new again, course if you wanted to keep the bike in the stable for man years.

I know there is some ride characterisics which make them nice but to me and I haven't ridden a Ti FS frame, I have ridden Ti hardtail and Ti road bikes.

Why you would only have the ML for a year then change again for the EL G 6in in Ti will be even less benefit than what you have now, you could put that money into the shock and comps which I know you would anyway but still you will push this frame harder why would you want to over invest in something you may not have longer term over an already high end frame.

Thinking of you dude when I say this, I would keep the ML and specc up an EL Gup with specc in between yr Nico and ML and keep it more AM/light FR, omo though something you can thrash hard with the HH and OS riding buddies esspecially with the travel ya do, I don't trust airlines one of our Homies had his Spot lost by BA the other day eek

ANyways many options hah, good luck there big guy on this one wouild be good to have ya on a bouncer at Riverhead sometime, if Im still here when ya get back

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Dude glad you enjoyed the bike, but if you like it why wait or hold off for Ti

The only reason to me to ge Ti mainly is for long term durability and finish, a scratchy pad always makes it look like new again, course if you wanted to keep the bike in the stable for man years.

I know there is some ride characterisics which make them nice but to me and I haven't ridden a Ti FS frame, I have ridden Ti hardtail and Ti road bikes.

Why you would only have the ML for a year then change again for the EL G 6in in Ti will be even less benefit than what you have now, you could put that money into the shock and comps which I know you would anyway but still you will push this frame harder why would you want to over invest in something you may not have longer term over an already high end frame.

Thinking of you dude when I say this, I would keep the ML and specc up an EL Gup with specc in between yr Nico and ML and keep it more AM/light FR, omo though something you can thrash hard with the HH and OS riding buddies esspecially with the travel ya do, I don't trust airlines one of our Homies had his Spot lost by BA the other day eek

ANyways many options hah, good luck there big guy on this one wouild be good to have ya on a bouncer at Riverhead sometime, if Im still here when ya get back
    Its all good bro, my operative word was [SIZE="7"]IF[/SIZE] there was a Ti El G available now.... I would also build up the El G not to be a hard hitting 6 inch FR bike....Who knows, time will tell, am buzzing still, really enjoyed this bike, as I totally enjoy the ML everytime I ride it.... I also very much like the ride of a Ti FS frame, taking into account that many people throw there in opinion in the works that TI FS frames are BS, I would listen more if indeed they had ridden one..... I love it and that is all that matters....

Sucks to hear of a fellow mtb'er having his bike lost by the airlines. One of buddies on here Kovi us going through the same issue.... I have been lucky thus far, fingers crossed.... I would never take my bike when I have 3 or 4 flights to get somewhere. That is a disaster waiting to happen.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast