Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,821

    Wink The pale horse...

    it showed up today.

    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

  2. #2
    NOT Team Sanchez
    Reputation: wasea04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,966
    Ooooh, ahhh
    I like bikes.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,821
    The bike is built. Everything went very well. Headset pressed in easily, bottom bracket went in straight without any need for chasing the threads, rear brake mounts faced from factory, cable routing not too shaby (even though there are now headtube tabs anymore). I'd say for 999$ including shock this is the best deal out there. Other than a few paint smears the frame came in and built perfect. But I'll do more damage to the paint on the first ride than what it came out of the box with.

    With the "monster" fork the head angle is 65* and seat angle at 69.5*. Bottom bracket at 13.25" (seems rather low) but the head tube sits at the same hight as my V1 with a 160mm fork (vs 180 on the V3). The numbers look good. The head angle is only a degree more slack than the V1 and doesn't feel odd messing around in the street. Proper ride wont happen 'til Sunday at the earliest.







    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BillT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    864
    Looks awesome! I have black frame heading my way right now...can't wait to get it built up!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craigstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,318
    That thing is screaming for a dropper post. Looks great, did you weigh it?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,194

    Cool-blue Rhythm

    ¿Qué Onda Guero?


  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,821
    That thing is screaming for a dropper post. Looks great, did you weigh it?
    Tried a dropper post for a few miles once. I'm so used to grabbing the nose of the seat with my knees that I couldn't stand the post hitting me so low when I wass used to it up higher. Things may change once I get on some dedicated DH stuff but for now the bike is still going to "try" and be dual purpose.

    On the bath room scale the white bike ends up at 31.5# and stinky ends up at 30.2.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    303
    very nice but.. how can you ride both at once?

    also that fork.. is it some kind of limited edition?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,821
    very nice but.. how can you ride both at once?
    You've never had a threesome???

    also that fork.. is it some kind of limited edition?
    Nope regular ol' rockshox totem U-turn 180-135.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: osti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    26
    very nice setup!

    I hope my frame will arrive next week so I can take out the EG for a ride next weekend

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,821
    What color did you get? I'd really like to see the super raw built up.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,194
    Hope it's a large........still waiting to see photo

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: osti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    What color did you get? I'd really like to see the super raw built up.
    you're glad! It's a super raw with ccdb air and a bos deville

    if everything turns out ok you can expect some pics at the end of next week

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,194
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    The bike is built. Everything went very well. Headset pressed in easily, bottom bracket went in straight without any need for chasing the threads, rear brake mounts faced from factory, cable routing not too shaby (even though there are now headtube tabs anymore). I'd say for 999$ including shock this is the best deal out there. Other than a few paint smears the frame came in and built perfect. But I'll do more damage to the paint on the first ride than what it came out of the box with.
    Terrible, you ever see the pearl on the ML1 (very nice), this finish the same ?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,821
    Terrible, you ever see the pearl on the ML1 (very nice), this finish the same ?
    Nope never did see one. The pearl is a real light effect. It's not like some of the honda civics I've seen with pearl paint. Very subtle.

    First ride went well. Did about a 20 mile lap at my local trails. It's alot of fun there and not too technical. little bit of everything though. The bike is great. I noticed the little bit of extra length on the top tube on the faster dh sections for sure. The bike seemed to track a little easier than my v1. I was running the same wheels that I've had on my v1 for the last couple months so it was a pretty honest test of the climbing/decending of the bike.

    Never had a single issue with the "monster" fork other than the fact that it needs to break in. Since I don't run a talas on my other bike (pulled the guts and swapped to a float) I just left the U-turn all the way up and rode the bike that way. I can't belive it did as well as it did with the 180mm fork on it. No regrets on my build.

    Two things need to change, lower/shorter stem, and I've got to break down and buy a new pair of pedals.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    303
    how did you find the rear shock vs the Fox RP? on the older one?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,821
    how did you find the rear shock vs the Fox RP? on the older one?
    The pro pedal is alot more aggresive than the rp. It's like the propedal doesn't work on the rp past half travel. With the rt3 it's more like the propedal is progressive. Maybe it has more to do with the air can volume but that's just how it feels. The rebound is a little to steep for me. I'd like to have a few clicks less even with it at full open. The bike still has a good "pop" to it but I prefer to run my rebound pretty light.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    303
    ok the rebound, that probably just needs breaking in. good to hear the pp is firm, i was mostly worried about mine bobbing on climbs. the PP full on (on Monarch) is good for getting air still?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Nope never did see one. The pearl is a real light effect. It's not like some of the honda civics I've seen with pearl paint. Very subtle.

    First ride went well. Did about a 20 mile lap at my local trails. It's alot of fun there and not too technical. little bit of everything though. The bike is great. I noticed the little bit of extra length on the top tube on the faster dh sections for sure. The bike seemed to track a little easier than my v1. I was running the same wheels that I've had on my v1 for the last couple months so it was a pretty honest test of the climbing/decending of the bike.

    Never had a single issue with the "monster" fork other than the fact that it needs to break in. Since I don't run a talas on my other bike (pulled the guts and swapped to a float) I just left the U-turn all the way up and rode the bike that way. I can't belive it did as well as it did with the 180mm fork on it. No regrets on my build.

    Two things need to change, lower/shorter stem, and I've got to break down and buy a new pair of pedals.
    Nice looking built there... i hope you are wearing all white looking to charm the trail..

    so you run 180mm on on uphill section? how technical is the climb? this is something i really wanted to know more on having a tall front. i really cant decide on the fork. on one end i wanted to try the long XF vengeance but worried about the climbing section and the other end the XF travel adjust version heavy weight is not appealing at all. if travel adjust is a must, will have to stretch the pocket for the expensive Fox Talas. your input will be must appreciated.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,194
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Proper ride wont happen 'til Sunday at the earliest.
    whiskey, tequila, forty... over

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,821
    Got a chance to beat on it some. Had two xc style rides and about a dozen runs at snow shoe this weekend. The monarch is worlds better than the rp23 on the dh type stuff. The extra TT length really helped on the rough stuff (lower hare-ball double black and super super rocky) The fork really came into it's own after a quick tear down and lubing up with some slick honey. Could still use that short stem.

    I was only able to get the v3 down the hills twice since my wife was on it while I was riding the v1. I was able to do back-back trails so it was about as close of a shoot out as it gets. If the trails are slow and tech the v1 can pull a bit of an edge with it's faster turning. But as soon as you hit 25mph plus stuff the head angle and stability of the v3 just make a rocket. Not sure what made v3 a better flyer but it does like the air a bit more than v1.

    Really pleased with the bike overall. Never thought to myself "gee the rear end on this thing could stand to be a through axle" nor did I think the head angle was to slack with my "monster fork"
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: honkeystyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    45
    Man, thought I was the only one who wanted a white one!! And glad to hear it held up at snow shoe. Makes me feel more sure of my purchase.

  23. #23
    Dont Rep me
    Reputation: Strafer.2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    153
    Just ordered medium white with CCDB air from On-one site.
    Don't really NEED this one, but this deal was too good to pass up after almost getting the 5-Spot that was on sale at Jenson.
    Anyone know if it's true that you can't run ZS lower on the El Guapo?
    I was going to buy the Lyrik 170 Solo air RC2DH with 1 1/8 steerer and ZS lower cup to counter the extra travel.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: osti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer.2 View Post
    Anyone know if it's true that you can't run ZS lower on the El Guapo?
    I was going to buy the Lyrik 170 Solo air RC2DH with 1 1/8 steerer and ZS lower cup to counter the extra travel.
    I don't see any reason why a ZS44/28,6 - ZS49/30 headset shouldn't work for you.

  25. #25
    Dont Rep me
    Reputation: Strafer.2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by osti View Post
    I don't see any reason why a ZS44/28,6 - ZS49/30 headset shouldn't work for you.
    This comment in "Propose fork for El Guapo" thread put me on hold on my fork purchase.
    Ben (old titus dude) used to say external headset w/ 545mm axle to crown is the intended design. When I asked, said EG can handle the slackset, also said internal headset and longer A2C would void warrantee FWIW

    I've emailed Titus on their web site, so hope to clear this up soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •