Spring! Spring! Spring!

Oldie but a goodie : '05 SuperMoto

Freshly back from a trip to TX and AZSF, now getting dirty in NE PA.

She's not your lightweight cruiser, easily over 35#, but she brings it home every time and is a lot of fun on the trail, and ready for pretty much anything!

Note the non-stock build with a 9.5x3 shock in the shorter travel pos, seems to match up nicely with the Marz 66 RC2x fork - makes her a "7x7" bike which is just silly for something pointed uphill. HTA seems to be about 68 with this setup.

Other possibly notable things:

- custom powdercoat job that I got done locally, nice bright white, don't think that was ever a stock color. The downtube stickers that I had worked out great, thanks to a friend I was able to preserve the head/side-badges through the re-painting.

- headset is a standard CK no-thread-set, which originally came on my Quasi-Moto in June '03.

- front-d is an old XT that also originally came on my Quasi-Moto in June '03; when the bike converts to DH mode it may lose the granny and front shifting. Undecided at this point. I still need to have a top-entry chain-guide for the ring no matter.

- I think it's over-sprung by about one unit, currently have a 350# coil on the back and could maybe use a 300#, but then I'd likely need lighter springs for the fork which I don't seem to be able to find a source for them ('07 model year fork).

- yes, the head-badge is not centered on the head tube, left room for a sticker I have planned to put there ( Amer-Ind bear-claw symbol, of course ).

Either way, come May, the Boxxer, flat pedals, DH tires, and DHX4 go on for the DH season though.

;^)

Super happy to have a great bike to ride!

Sent from my brain using neurons fueled by caffeine
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oldie but a goodie : '05 SuperMoto-imageuploadedbytapatalk1332759018.090632.jpg  

Last edited by bear; 03-26-2012 at 05:32 AM.

"El Whatever"
    Very sexy, bear!!!

I found a Quasi on some classifieds in Mexico I was just this >< close to get it!
    If it wasn't because I have two bikes and ride them every time the Haley passes over the Earth, I would have pulled the trigger.

Quasis, SuMos and SB's were very good and sexy bikes.

Congrats! Enjoy that beauty.
    Check my Site

parts leftover
    I came very close to buying one of those in 2006. Have fun!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by schlim View Post
    I came very close to buying one of those in 2006. Have fun!
    Thanks,

She's quite a fun bike, a wee "portly" for AM use but definitely solid.

The silly high bottom bracket takes "dealing with" - sort of the opposite the current industry trend for "long n low" but what the heck, really works well out here in NE PA with the rocks, roots, and log-overs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Thanks,

The silly high bottom bracket takes "dealing with" - sort of the opposite the current industry trend for "long n low" but what the heck, really works well out here in NE PA with the rocks, roots, and log-overs.
    "silly high BB?" yah, i guess so! what is it, 16"?
    breezy shade

Biking Like Crazy!
    Thanks,

Bear, if you flip the coffin link over (not end to end) it'll slacken your HA
    and lower your BB alittle more than what you got.
    From what I've read on these ( I have 2 06 SM's) the coffin link
    does give you a true 7in or 6in travel with the stock 8.75x2.75 shock.
    You must at 7.6in in the rear. Nice paint job!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    nhodge: yeah, something like that

blcman: hmm, nice tidbit, i have some time today so I may just have to try that out!

I have the shock mounted in the 6" point so I'm figuring it's about 7" of travel currently.

I have the stock DHX4 coil for DH season - which is coming soon!

Biking Like Crazy!
    nhodge: yeah, something like that

blcman: hmm, nice tidbit, i have some time today so I may just have to try that out!

I have the shock mounted in the 6" point so I'm figuring it's about 7" of travel currently.

I have the stock DHX4 coil for DH season - which is coming soon!
    Bear, I think your wrong about which hole is which.
    You are in the 7in travel hole I believe according to the picture.
    If you think about the distance each hole moves with the wheel travel
    and the shock stroke then you should be able to figure that out.
    Let me know if you agree.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by blcman View Post
    Bear, I think your wrong about which hole is which....
    Never impossible, having gotten the frame used, however I did find this scan of the original owners manual somewhere online ... attached to this msg.

FWIW, playing around with the linkage this afternoon I've figured out that the bearings are cooked ... apparently didn't survive my recent TX/AZ MTB vacation.

Soo, she's off-line for a while, good and bad at the same time.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Hey bear, I just looked at my Switchblade manual, and wouldn't you know it

I'm totally wrong on the linkage travel settings. Go figure!

BTW what did it cost to get the frame painted?

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    My and a friend had a couple frames painted at a local place using "whatever bright white they had" - and I paid $60 bucks for the job. No clear coat.

They did a great job of keeping the powder out of the main pivot, head-tube, and swing-link fix points but did get it into the seat tube. Took me about 15 mins with a phat dowel and sand paper to get the seat tube in order. The only sub-standard part of the job I found was a little paint gather at the bottom of the head tube. Not much, but some. Coverage into the wonky spaces on the main triangle is solid. Super happy with the overall deal. Super happy that I happened to have some Titus down-tube decals on hand, really made the final look good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Another Sumo

So flipping the coffin link from side to side will slacken the HA? I put a shorter 8.5 x 2.5 rear shock to slacken mine, might try adding the link and see how slack I can get it.
    I think I want to put something a little more burly on the front than the Lyrik. Maybe a 66 or 36 or Totem. I just bought this Sumo back from a friend, 2nd time around I like it better.
    Bear, I think I bought something from you when you lived in Austin?

dBoat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oldie but a goodie : '05 SuperMoto-p4pb8512539%5B1%5D.jpg  

Biking Like Crazy!
    Yeah Boat. If you flip the coffin link over (not end for end, it won't work)
    the front hole will be moved alittle up or down hence a slight geo change. Might give you 1/4 to 1/2 deg?
    In my pictures of my 06 frame I just noticed I might be in the steeper setting.
    No worries , I have a 1 1/2 deg. angleset headset! I might switch the link around
    before Whistler tho! lol A Totem fits the SUMO perfectly BTW.

EDIT: I quess flipping the link will only change the geo if your using the 6 in. hole.
    The 7in. hole is pretty much along the centerline of the link, hence no difference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Oldie but a goodie : '05 SuperMoto-p1020273.jpg  

Oldie but a goodie : '05 SuperMoto-p1020272.jpg  

Last edited by blcman; 08-31-2012 at 08:47 PM.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    The 66 inha worked great for the sumo. I put a 9.5 shock on it for AM and got about a 67 HTA. With the stock shock it comes in about 65.

Boat, I am pretty sure we have swapped a few things over time. ;^)

Currently running my SuMo only for DH, with a Boxxer. Works great, but I have no illusions about me being world class. ;^)

I tried the link flipped an I made a different, but decided i wanted the stock setting to have the solid structure. I would hate for it to fail at a bad time.

Sent from my brain using neurons fueled by glucose

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Gonna flip the coffin link and see , maybe tomorrow. If anyone has a 66 or Totem they want to trade or work a deal on for my Lyrik 2 step let me know.
    Will report back this week.
    Thanks,
    Dan

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I have a 66 bit it needs some work. I have rc2x and ata internals for it. Ata needs new o rings - leaks air. One of the rc2x set broke a couple months ago and I haven't debugged it.

Because I ride my sumo with a boxxer. ;^)

Sent from my brain using neurons fueled by glucose

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    So I got two rides on it with the links flipped around and its sooooo awesome! Way better taking drops and steep roll-ins. Measured the head angle at about 65.5 with the BB @13" even. Thats with a 8.5 x 2.5 rear shock. I will ride it like this for now and maybe revisit the bigger fork idea a little later. Really happy with it right now!

Thanks!
    db