ronbo613

Older Motolite Swingarm Parts?

I have an older Motolite(the model where the shock goes through the seatpost) and the swingarm bolt assembly will not stay together. Last year the swingarm bolt broke where the threaded part meets the smooth shoulder. I got some parts through Bob's Bicycles, they weren't exactly the right parts, but they did the best they could; I don't think Titus had the right parts. This year, the threaded aluminum part that connects the swingarm bolt to the swingarm stripped out.
    I would hate to have to junk the bike because I can't get a few cheap parts. Does anybody know of someplace I can get these older Motolite parts?

"El Whatever"
    I'd get some machined at a shop... I seriously doubt Titus would stock them.
    Check my Site

ronbo613
    A perfectly good full suspension mountain bike is now going into the scrap heap because of a $10 part.
    You'd have to be insane to buy an expensive Titus bike.
    Last edited by ronbo613; 06-05-2009 at 12:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613
    As usual, Titus does not respond to email. A perfectly good full suspension mountain bike is now going into the scrap heap because of a $10 part.
    You'd have to be insane to buy an expensive Titus bike.
    Dude, if I am not correct, that bike is from 1998! Heck, in 2002, I could not get bushing for my Specialized FSR!

Post some pics here, and see if anybody can help. Most of the small parts on bikes can be found at a local hardware store and that may end up being the easiest route.

banned
    I'd love to see a picture. It's a classic at this point and some interesting viewing of history.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I'd love to see a picture. It's a classic at this point and some interesting viewing of history.
    Here is a pic of the bike from bikepedia:

I actually have an old MBA that has a review of that bike. Biked weighed 26lbs and blew people away (in typical MBA fashion!)

banned
    Thanks a bunch. I'd love to see the article too.

ronbo613
    That's the bike, mine has some different parts; suspension is a little different, the one I have may be a couple years newer. They were only made for three years.
    I guess they were ahead of their time because it is still a worthy bike. It would be a shame to have to junk a good bike for lack of a single part. I've had to replace the swingarm bolt after it snapped with a later year's model part, but I machined it to work. If I can get the aluminum part that the swingarm bolt goes into that screws into the chainstay suspension link, I can get the bike back on the trail.
    Titus has responded to my email request, that has never happened before, I hope they can help.
    This bike deserves to be on the trail, not in a junkyard.

mtbr member
    That's the bike, mine has some different parts; suspension is a little different, the one I have may be a couple years newer. They were only made for three years.
    I guess they were ahead of their time because it is still a worthy bike. It would be a shame to have to junk a good bike for lack of a single part. I've had to replace the swingarm bolt after it snapped with a later year's model part, but I machined it to work. If I can get the aluminum part that the swingarm bolt goes into that screws into the chainstay suspension link, I can get the bike back on the trail.
    Titus has responded to my email request, that has never happened before, I hope they can help.
    This bike deserves to be on the trail, not in a junkyard.
    Good news! That bike is basically a switchblade and very similar to the Specialized FSR's of the day.

ronbo613
    Here's a photo of the bike where it belongs

ronbo613
    Here's the totaled part:

mtbr member
    Here's a photo of the bike where it belongs

Dude, that looks great! You are right, you got to find a way to keep that bike on the trail. The piece looks to be in bad shape. I wonder if Titus can't help, if someone knows a machine shop that could fabricate a piece like that for you.

banned
    Wow, you got a disc model. Keep it!

Ti is addictive
    Machine shop would be the best. Not a chance in the world that Titus would have old parts for that Classic machine....Especially after they cleaned house with the move to the new facility. Keep us posted if you get it up and running.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

ronbo613
    I've got no problems tossing a bike in the heap if it's no good, but save for one part, this bike is fully worthy. All XTR, Fox Float Racing shock, Ritchey hubs and wheels, Conti Vertical Pros, Hayes brakes, RaceFace crank, Thompson seatpost and stem, King headset.
    I've got a new Giant Trance X2, but there's plenty of my friends who would like to see the Titus stick around as a loaner when they come visit up here in the Columbia Gorge.
    I sure hope Titus can help me out with this part. There's got to be one or two around somewhere. A machine shop would probably charge me $50 to make one.

"El Whatever"
    Here's the totaled part:
    Yup... that's a job for the machine shop. It's not a practice in this industry to have spares for models older than five years, unless the design hasn't changed.

Brands in that league are Magura, Hayes, Marzocchi still have parts laying around and such.

Ventana also...
    Check my Site

ronbo613
    Jeff Titone of Titus has informed me he has the parts I need so the vintage Titus will stay on the trails!

STOKED!

mtbr member
    Jeff Titone of Titus has informed me he has the parts I need so the vintage Titus will stay on the trails!

STOKED!

Great news! And great work by Titus to get that bike back on the trails!

Post some pics when she is back up and running.

ronbo613
    I understand that Titus has undergone some kind of management change. Having dealt with them before the change and now; it is a major improvement in customer service.

"El Whatever"
    I understand that Titus has undergone some kind of management change. Having dealt with them before the change and now; it is a major improvement in customer service.
    Yup... all credit to Jeff. IMHO.
    Check my Site

banned
    See if you can get any plans so if you need it in the future, you can give the measurements to a shop and they're make it for you.