Thread: oh no.....

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well oh no.....

looks like we have a death in the family.

M2U00283.mp4 video by gregemrick - Photobucket

advice?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Is there a visible crack? There have been a few V1's on the forums that have cracked there, probably out of warranty I would assume as it was built before the aquisition. Phone call to Portland wouldnt hurt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The one I saw had gusset patched on there.. Could color match the pink

or mod stinkys cs yoke for 27.5 on the white bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I like your crack test. Reminds me of the old Porsche 917 racecars that had an aluminum space frame. They built them with a pressure gage on the frame and pressurized it with air or nitrogen, when the gage showed a loss of pressure they knew it was cracked.

mtbr member
    Is there a visible crack?
    There is some grey striping along the top tube side of the weld. It's what I noticed first then proceded with the air/soap test.

Phone call to Portland wouldnt hurt.
    Did that. Mike was very nice and did offer a crash replacement.

The one I saw had gusset patched on there.. Could color match the pink

or mod stinkys cs yoke for 27.5 on the white bike
    Think I'll clean it up one last time and hang it on the wall. The white V3 will be hitting ebay soon. Not diggin the low bb and looking elsewhere for next ride.

I really wish I could have gotten a new v1 front triangle but the only ones they have left are V.5 in Portland.

It's been fun but I think it is time to move on. Maybe a vpp bike or another 'niner. It all depends on what comes down the pipe.

Seriously depressed right now. I feal like a friend has died. Did take it out for a night ride tonight. Still feals great but just not wanting to loose my teeth when it does go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

sucks nutts

I hear you on the bb height 13.5 is low as I can go around here. Have a close trail that's really fun (and a little too much for eg), think I'll be taking it back a notch

Not sure about the niner. That carbine 275 look interesting, saw one on the trail a couple weeks ago

Only got to check it out for a sec, would like to take a closer look at its rocker/linkage.. anyway it got me wondering what size shock it takes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    Seriously depressed right now. I feal like a friend has died. Did take it out for a night ride tonight. Still feals great but just not wanting to loose my teeth when it does go.
    Mine's been longer than yours... maybe I should be checking too given the impact that area's been taking with more than a few hard crashes/ bails over the years... hard enough that my fork's lowers are KO

Been looking around too since Im not digging all the changes on the V3. Found a couple interesting ones so far but still hesitating a departure from the HL which Im so used to by now.

mtbr member
    hesitating a departure from the HL
    Rode a 'niner jet9 for a while and did like the rear suspension. Seemed to be very effeciant without having alot of bob (just not enough travel)

I've heard good things about vpp and other turner-type linkage bikes. Would like to try a turner but 1900-2500$ for a frame is just crazy. I like the thought of going back to a US made frame but at those prices no wonder they are harder to find.

I doubt I make any moves to fast. I am going to price getting the frame re-welded/ heat treated/painted or ano'd again. I think ventana does frame repair and I could get the frame that hot tamale red I really liked on the 'niner rip9

On-ward and up-ward friends!

Dozer
    perhaps it's blasphemy posting this in a Titus thread -- but I've got my sights on the Santa Cruz Tallboy LT. I absolutely loved my MotoLite...until I became accustomed to 29" wheels. I fear there is no going back...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

New models

Quote Originally Posted by yeahdog31 View Post
    perhaps it's blasphemy posting this in a Titus thread -- but I've got my sights on the Santa Cruz Tallboy LT. I absolutely loved my MotoLite...until I became accustomed to 29" wheels. I fear there is no going back...
    El Guapo 29er and Rockstar carbon are coming out pretty soon i heard. Why just not wait for them to be out. Shoul be soon!

mtbr member
    Alright. Buought a 26" stumpy evo and I'm far from in love. It has a couple nice features but I just don't get the warm and fuzzy feeling. I am going to pursue getting my V1 fixed and move forward with the sale on v3.

I've swapped all my important parts (brakes, wheels) onto the stumpy and it is nice but as I said I'm not in love. I've even thought about swapping out the brand new uppers I put on my 36 float to taper and trying it on the stumpy but I'm not sure about investing the money.

I read a thread the other day on the turner forum that a fellow got his spot (I think it was a spot) fixed relativly cheap. They did a seat tube replacment, re-powder coat, and bushing/bolt swap for 350$ and this was all done out of warranty. Not sure if turner will work on other brands though but it's worth a phone call.

If I could get V1 welded and powder coated metal-flake brown I'd be stoked.

mtbr member
    Maybe a call to these guys might help:
    Eagle One Bike Frame Repair LLC
    They are in your neck of the woods arent they?
    Some of the welders from the original Titus in AZ left and started their own company building Ti frames but for the life of me I cant remember the name of the company, I heard they were doing repair and refinishing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    if Turner doesn't come through, i've had a few friends get their Knolly & Intense bikes fixed {welded, fabrication, paint} @ Ventana when said Manufact. left 'em high & dry. the price was incredibly low, especially considering they would have had to retire their frames!
    breezy shade

Bike Addiction
    Terrible your Brown EG is a beaut. That frame color was what I wanted. I hope you can save it.
    Last edited by 00sable; 01-03-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

IllumaDucati
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mama View Post
    I like your crack test. Reminds me of the old Porsche 917 racecars that had an aluminum space frame. They built them with a pressure gage on the frame and pressurized it with air or nitrogen, when the gage showed a loss of pressure they knew it was cracked.
    Back around 1980, Bimota also did this to test a prototype road racing motorcycle frame that was built out of thin Columbus tubing, by mounting a tire valve and an air pressure gauge on the frame, and inflating it. The pressure gauge was mounted where the rider could keep an eye on it.