Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Numb wrist...

"El Whatever"

Numb wrist...

Hey folks!!

This morning I took a quick spin on the bike (just literally around the block) and after a few minutes my RIGHT wrist (from base of the palm of the hand) gets numb. I can feel some reflection on the elbow too, but not really bothering on the elbow.

WTF?? I've been running this set-up for quite a few rides. Same gloves, hbars, stem, saddle position, grips... Only change has been adding a spacer under the stem (3mm).

My hand feels like if it would like to have a much dramatic sweep.

The left hand is OK.
    No falls, no hits, nothing that have caused problems with the wrist.

Would I need a wider bar??
    Remove the spacer??

Thanks for any help!
    Warp
    Check my Site

banned
    Death grip on the bar?

thats right living legend
    Try relaxing your grip... firm yet relaxed. Also just to be safe get some new gloves and grips, it helps more than you'd think.

"El Whatever"
    JC... Nope. I am loose on the bars... I even move the hands around. This is why it's confusing to me.

BA... I'll try that, bro. Grips are coming from Montana.
    Check my Site

banned
    Arm to hand angle?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Arm to hand angle?
    Yes, maybe... Would a wider bar would help? Or a narrower one?

I'll go step by step... grips first, then a bar...

What it puzzles me the most it's only the right hand. I must have something wrong, either on myself or some bad posture.

Maybe should I exercise the right arm?
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    9x4 bars and 680mm, if not already

those 8x5 bars are a funky for some people

best thing to do is get a better rear shock absorber

you should remove the 3mm spacer to see what affect it has

or have acute not ride enough unbalanced weak wristed syndrome

or have been using the right wrist too often between rides leading to blindness

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I don't mean to point something obvious.. but maybe try to do/undo the spacer change to compare... but as you I would doubt such a small change would do that....

Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain

ROTFLAO

"El Whatever"

Yeah, 8X5's here (RF Evolve XC Low Riser)

I don't want to get divorced...

I will...

Thank you, but I'm lefty.

Now I see why Geo hates you.
    Check my Site

Where is my mind?
    How's your back? Any chance that something may have happened a little while ago (maybe even before you added the spacer (bad sleeping position, carry your son on your back, etc)? Also, why did you add the spacer?
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    How's your back? Any chance that something may have happened a little while ago (maybe even before you added the spacer (bad sleeping position, carry your son on your back, etc)? Also, why did you add the spacer?
    My back's never been so good... I have a shorter leg (the right one, btw) and that causes me some strain, but it's been like that since forever. I use an insole to correct that for my normal activities, but never have had it corrected for the bike. Other than that, just lack of exercise.

I added the spacer to raise the bars just a bit when I was riding more steep stuff, but out of laziness, I haven't brought it back to what it was.
    Check my Site

dog
    sit! stay!
    i sometimes have the same issue when i ride some very very smooth double track...

never happens on single track... i think it's becaue i am in the same riding position (hand-wise) for enough time to cut off the blood so i go numb... if i take my hand off the bar and ride one handed, it goes away...

Trophy Husband
    How's your back? Any chance that something may have happened a little while ago (maybe even before you added the spacer (bad sleeping position, carry your son on your back, etc)?
    Where's Chirochris when you need him?
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover

i can't take this anymore... too funny these days

I could use some help with my L5-S1 rupture ....

I wonder what happened with his wonky bike ?~?

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    My back's never been so good... I have a shorter leg (the right one, btw) and that causes me some strain, but it's been like that since forever. I use an insole to correct that for my normal activities, but never have had it corrected for the bike. Other than that, just lack of exercise.

I added the spacer to raise the bars just a bit when I was riding more steep stuff, but out of laziness, I haven't brought it back to what it was.
    One very ugly word: Situps. The adjustment may have have been enough to trigger a pinched nerve in your back (thus the referred pain on you elbow and wrist). Just speculating about the source but I'd belt out a good 25 situps before bed and when you get up (maybe even before you get on the bike). I've had back issues and I will use a shim in my shoe as well but the gym has helping out quite a bit. Cycling is no friend to a bad/weak back.

A good massage once in a while can be a big help.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

"El Whatever"
    A good massage once in a while can be a big help.
    Where's my wife when I need her???

Thanks, man!! I'll give it a shot, but I think I'll have to lift some weights because I'm pretty out of shape.

Quote Originally Posted by geolover

ROTFLMAO!!!
    Aaaaarrrrghhhhh!!!!!!!!

Whoa, fortunately I had nothing in my mouth to spit...

Check my Site

Ti is addictive
    Geez..........this thread has gotta be one of the funniest in a long time........Warp, do you think it might be computer keyboard related and bike related all tied together???????

Or are you just bias to chokin the chicken with the rightie and not the leftie cause it can't be the fact you ride your brakes MOTO style can it???????

Where is ChiroChris when you need him.......?
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

You down with entropy?

recent numb fingers

Hmmm... I have been having numb fingers on my left hand on and off recently. Right now it is the pinky and ring finger. I have started down the road to adjusting things around to see if that helps. I have rotated my bars a bit and that seemed to help last night, only the tip of my pinky was a bit numb (2 nights ago I was trying differnt bar rotation and had the bars rotated too far and all my fingers went numb....)

I am about to pull the trigger on new bars as I have 8x3 FSA bars. I am looking at the 9x5 recomendadation (probably titec hell bents) and maby the salsa moto riser which is 10x6.

while I am at it a spare shock might show up in the order........

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Geez..........this thread has gotta be one of the funniest in a long time........Warp, do you think it might be computer keyboard related and bike related all tied together???????

Or are you just bias to chokin the chicken with the rightie and not the leftie cause it can't be the fact you ride your brakes MOTO style can it???????

Where is ChiroChris when you need him.......?

I'm liking these bars...

Last edited by Warp; 06-08-2007 at 08:06 AM.
    Check my Site

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp

I'm liking these bars...

Syntace stuff is

And maybe some ERGON grips.

And maybe a better mouse pad as well

yep.. Syntace rocks

I meant to do that
    The nerve that affects your pinky and ring finger runs through the Cubital Tunnel (funny bone area). You will usually feel numbness when the nerve is stretched across the elbow, usually when the arm is bent at the elbow. Some people who sleep with their arm up over their head, or work at a computer for a long time, or drive for long periods with their elbow resting on the armrest can be affected. I've been diagnosed with Cubital Tunnel Syndrome and I had been sleeping with my right arm over my head for years. The right hand is also my mouse hand. It doesn't affect me when riding, because my arm is extended. So maybe this won't apply to you, but my 2 cents nonetheless.

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by sethm
    The nerve that affects your pinky and ring finger runs through the Cubital Tunnel (funny bone area). You will usually feel numbness when the nerve is stretched across the elbow, usually when the arm is bent at the elbow. Some people who sleep with their arm up over their head, or work at a computer for a long time, or drive for long periods with their elbow resting on the armrest can be affected. I've been diagnosed with Cubital Tunnel Syndrome and I had been sleeping with my right arm over my head for years. The right hand is also my mouse hand. It doesn't affect me when riding, because my arm is extended. So maybe this won't apply to you, but my 2 cents nonetheless.

That was what I was getting at with Warp..........I'm not a physician or a Chiropractor but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once........

But Seriously I do believe the ERGON grips will minimize the pressure point and hold you in proper position........if you're already kinked due to work related positioning and moderating all of us nutcases, positioning (spacer) and hold(grip of death) and use(ie hours biking) will come into play with the numbness.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    That was what I was getting at with Warp..........I'm not a physician or a Chiropractor but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once........

But Seriously I do believe the ERGON grips will minimize the pressure point and hold you in proper position........if you're already kinked due to work related positioning and moderating all of us nutcases, positioning (spacer) and hold(grip of death) and use(ie hours biking) will come into play with the numbness.
    Hmmm, I wonder if there are any people out there that are both chiropractors and Ergon experts......let me think....OH YEAH! Chirochris.

WWCCD? (What Would ChiroChris Do)

edit: sethm...great avatar
    Extreme stationary biker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast