Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Now I get it...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Now I get it...

FINALLY!!! it arrived and its better than I could have possibly imagained...
    Heres the break down:
    (5'9 175lb w/o gear)

-M '06 frame
    -RP23
    -'07 Fox Talas RLC
    -Base Kit:
    X-7 RD
    LX FD
    X-7 shifters
    Juicy 5's
    Titus stem, bar, seatpost
    Bonti RaceLite Tubeless wheelset
    Kenda Nevegal Stick-E rubber
    -M540 pedals

Upgrades(so far):
    -XT cranks
    -CK no threadset
    -Ti rail saddle
    Its not the highest end build but it gets the job done...I plan to ride this thing until something wears out and then have fun upgrading it

This is my first "fully" mtn bike, I have been riding hard tails for over 12 years, but all I can say is...WOW!!! I never thought it was possible to come back from a 4 hr. ride and go, I think im ready for more!! This bike loves to be pushed hard and the harder it gets pushed the better it gets. Simply put, now I get why most (sorry Dangeruss, etc) ML owners are always so happy. I am looking forward to the rides ahead and hearing how to get this bike dialed in perfectly for me....great bike and a great forum!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    aaand the other side....love this bike
    Attached Images Attached Images

thats right living legend
    Yes, alway's the drive side...good man.

I dig the build...

searcher
    congrats, and welcome to the club!
    Kovi

screamer
    Beauty! I remember when mine looked like that. It would be a shame to get these lovely bikes dirty ... if doing it weren't so much damn fun! Have at it!
    Word to the wise: get yourself some chainstay protection, and ideally something on the drive side seatstay too.
    And let us know how the new Talas performs!

"El Whatever"
    Cool steed, bro!

I actually like the build. Very price conscious with No-nonsense parts all around.

I always have thought Avid's Clean Sweep rotors are very sexy!
    Check my Site

Paper or plastic?
    Enjoy!
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Gravity Tester
    Great looking ride. I'm jazzed you like it. I'm sure I would too if the medium fit me. I noticed you're running a crap load of spacers under the stem. You may like it better a bit lower if you find that it wanders some while climbing.

ಠ_ಠ
    She's a beauty for sure!

As Warp said great job with the build.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie
    Word to the wise: get yourself some chainstay protection, and ideally something on the drive side seatstay too.
    Chiming in to agree on this point. A Lizard Skins super jumbo fits nicely for the chainstay, and then protective stickers on the seatstay.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangeruss
    Great looking ride. I'm jazzed you like it. I'm sure I would too if the medium fit me. I noticed you're running a crap load of spacers under the stem. You may like it better a bit lower if you find that it wanders some while climbing.
    Very intersting point...I left room to make adjustments as I was able to ride it more and after putting some serious time in the saddle this week, it does want to wander some when I'm spinning and climbing. This weekend I plan to work with changing spacers and stem length to get a better fit. Right now the stem length is 110mm and a bit long I'm thinking. I want to try a 100mm and maybe a 90 while also removing some of the spacers. I have been told that a medium frame with a 100mm stem should provide roughly similar dimensions to a small frame with a longer stem?? with my longer inseam (31.5) and shorter upper body I was between the M and S sizes. Can anyone comment?

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by steveball23
    Very intersting point...I left room to make adjustments as I was able to ride it more and after putting some serious time in the saddle this week, it does want to wander some when I'm spinning and climbing. This weekend I plan to work with changing spacers and stem length to get a better fit. Right now the stem length is 110mm and a bit long I'm thinking. I want to try a 100mm and maybe a 90 while also removing some of the spacers. I have been told that a medium frame with a 100mm stem should provide roughly similar dimensions to a small frame with a longer stem?? with my longer inseam (31.5) and shorter upper body I was between the M and S sizes. Can anyone comment?

Go to the 100mm stem, get rid of an ass load of those spacers...

I'm still diggin the build.

ಠ_ಠ
    At 5'9 / 31.5 inseam I don't think you're between sizes at all. You're a perfect medium in my book.

Good luck dialing it in.

the 36 year old grom
    yeah, thats a good looking bike. good build to, you put the money were it counts. I love the fox grey, with tallas blue.

mtbr member
    Congrats and welcome to the club. As most have stated, ML is a great bike and the build should work really well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Congrats and nice build. The grey motolites look tough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Looks like a sweet ride. Congrats !

Veni Vidi Vici
    Congrats on your new ML Sweet built

I rode 'Whistler XC'

... and if we just ...

Simply put, now I get why most (sorry Dangeruss, etc) ML owners are always so happy.
    Another en(moto)litened one.....glad you've seen the light!

Apologies for the corny pun....couldn't help myself

You're just going to keep getting more and MORE stoked with it the more time you spend on it....trust me(us)
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Sweet bike.

I demo'd an almost exact spec'd Motolite today while out testing out a Fox Talas fork. The handling on this bike was impressive.

The RP3 does transform the rear end. I played around with the Talas' Lockout threshold and created a quasi platform feel when "locking" the fork out. That combined with the RP3 in the firmest mode, created a snappy accelerating bike for sprints or smooth fireroads.

Coming 8 months on a 29er hardtail, riding a 26er full suspension feels like a razor sharp BMX bike. Time to go back to the 26er
    I'm an Inbred...29er that is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I really like this build as well...after having spent a couple weeks riding it now, everything really works well together. The X-7 RD and shifters have been flawless, the Juicy 5's are pretty darn good and the wheelset is decent. This wasn't the lightest build by any means, but I'm not racing the bike either. My only gripe thus far would be the LX FD. Its really nothing to write home about.

What has really impressed me is the RLC and RP23. These two babies were worth the extra couple weeks wait! The adjustment range (compression/rebound) on the RLC is great and after getting it dialed in, the front tire just flat out sticks to the ground. This fork does a great job of soaking up stutter bumps that you might feel say on, a fast fire road, but has pletty of travel left to soak up a bigger hits; it's really plush. The travel adjustment is really handy as well. There are 3 positions you can run it in (140, 120, and 100) and changing between them takes a matter of seconds which translates on the trail as less time fiddling and more time riding (that gets my vote).

As for the RP23, well I can't really compare it to anything (this being my 1st full sus. bike) but I have no complaints. I have yet to bottom out the shock, it starts to ramp up VERY quick as you approach max travel. I most likely dont have it dialed in perfectly yet, but its darn good now so I can't wait to see what its like when I do get it right.

No regrets with this build...just enjoying mtn biking more than ever

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Agree with you on that Talas. I was very impressed and bought it after my demo ride. The RLC feature is well worth the extra m$ney. I am setting my RLC up to a quasi "platform" feel when locked out with some suspension since the blowoff is pretty open.

Again, sweet ride and post some dirty pics of it from the trail.
    I'm an Inbred...29er that is.

mtbr member
    I agree with others that the combination of 07 RLC and RP23 seems to be perfectly mated to ML. Enjoy the new ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Weight of the complete bike

I am interested in the close out Moto Light deal and wondering what's the complete bike weight in with the bike you posted in this thread? that seems fit my bill and hopefully is under 30 lb range...thanks!

mtbr member

Under 30 easy

I have a large frame built up pretty solid and it is 29.2 lbs, you should have no problems getting a medium or small to come in around 28.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast