mtbr member

Northstar Race Series

Race 1 was last night. It was hot in the mountains, about 90 degrees at 6 pm when the race started. I started strong, a bit too strong and faded about 2 miles into the climb. I ended up third (unofficially) in 35-44 Sport. I had all the guys I've been racing against for the last couple of seasons covered, but there were two guys there that hadn't raced this series before. One guy I ran into at a Super D race earlier this spring, he used to race expert in Norba back in the 90's, perhaps I shouldnt have told him about this series! The race was a big loop, about 10 miles, so the wife was only able to get pictures at the start and finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

mtbr member

A little bit closer

A bit longer race last night, about 12 miles and 2k climbing. Felt horrible and got dropped on the first climb, back to about 6th but managed to claw my way back up to third on the second lap. Second place rider crashed hard in a rock garden about 100 yds in front of me and DNF'd, so I inherited second. Not bad for feeling like quitting after the first lap.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    A bit longer race last night, about 12 miles and 2k climbing. Felt horrible and got dropped on the first climb, back to about 6th but managed to claw my way back up to third on the second lap. Second place rider crashed hard in a rock garden about 100 yds in front of me and DNF'd, so I inherited second. Not bad for feeling like quitting after the first lap.
    Great job!
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member

Update on the N* XC

SIx races into the 8 race series, I have one third and 5 second place finishes. I sit in second overall for the 35-44 Sport group. The guy that has been beating me is an animal, he just bought an S-Works 29er and seems to have become even faster, great. He was talking about bumping up to expert for the last two races, he should he catches half the experts that start a minute before us. Earlier this week, the Truckee area had two days in a row of severe storms and Northstar received torrential rain that washed away many sections of Livewire and Gypsy, I was talking to the trail crew last night and he said some of the trails may never be reworked, they are just gone. The course last night was a short 2.2 mile loop, that the crew managed to make rideable, but most of it had rain ruts everywhere so it was a bit dicey. I managed to lap into the expert field as well but was still 2+ minutes behind the guy who won.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Northstar Race Series-p1040456-1.jpg  

Northstar Race Series-p1040466-1.jpg  

Northstar Race Series-p1040468-1.jpg  

Northstar Race Series-p1040470-1.jpg  

Northstar Race Series-p1040477-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Awesome. Great job on that El Guapo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Fantastic, I.m 44 so theres hope for me yet...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Craigster you are in the sport class and catching the experts. I think that's called sandbagging. Time to move up!

mtbr member
    Ouch! I'm 45 years old. If I won three races in a row I would move up, Im only catching the last couple of experts and the expert women. Im going to enter some bigger races this fall and next year in sport and see how it goes. At least at bigger races the experts are divided up a bit.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Just kidding. Good job!