mtbr member
    May 2006

A nice surprise...

After putting a new tire on I went to a local bike shop and had him re-weighed. I was pretty surprised considering that my last weigh in was at 30.24lbs... that's just over a pound drop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A nice surprise...-eg29lbs.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by egibson View Post
    After putting a new tire on I went to a local bike shop and had him re-weighed. I was pretty surprised considering that my last weigh in was at 30.24lbs... that's just over a pound drop.
    Wow, that is a big drop. What tire did you put on? I see Michelin on the sidewall. Maybe a Wild Grip'R?

I am thinking of trying that tire as my Continental Mountain king II protection is starting to lose all its knobs after about 10 rides.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I swapped out a WTB Mutano 2.2 TCS for a 2.25 Michelin Wild Grip'R. I also had about a half pound of old latex built up in there.

mtbr member
    Continental MK2 = BAD. Michelin WIld Grip R2 Advanced = GOOD.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    A new front tire, carbon bars, and a lighter cassette, and I'll be able to drop another pound. All this weight savings is great because when I upgrade my RS Revelation 150mm up to something with 170/160mm travel it's guaranteed to add some weight. Does any one have any other "affordable" weight savings tips?

mtbr member
    Erik...you are already using the ESI grips right? Other then what you mentioned, everything else starts costing some major coin. Carbon cranks, lighter wheelset. I think to keep weight down yo might consider the new Fox 34mm 160 forks, you are light enough that it would be plenty stiff.

what's that rattle?

"Version 2" Tires

I weighed a Wild Grip'R 2.25 tire the other day: 850g! Turns out it wasn't the V2 model that a few people here have been using for weight reduction. Incidentally, I also ripped a few knobs off of a V1 Mountain King on the first ride with it on the rear of my EG. Seems that Conti has been designing tires for 140 pounders for quite some time!

Pedals are usually an inexpensive place to shave a few ounces...Maybe find some lighter headset cups? Strip the paint? It gets tough without investing in a whole new component grouppo or something. My EG was down to 30lb but has steadily been increasing with the muddy conditions here! I just think about baseball...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have Xt trails. Not really worth it to upgrade to Xtr. I just checked out the 2013 Fox, they 34mm stanchions do keep the weight down, I'll do more reading, but what's the major differences between the 'Talas' and the 'Float'?

mtbr member
    Talas has travel adjust and weighs 4.49 lbs, Float is fixed travel and weighs 4.3 lbs. I'm not a fan of travel adjust, too many reliability issues and the EG doesnt need it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Continental MK2 = BAD. Michelin WIld Grip R2 Advanced = GOOD.
    I thought that the MK had gotten fixed. My bad. They just don't hold up.

what's that rattle?
    Quote Originally Posted by egibson View Post
    I have Xt trails. Not really worth it to upgrade to Xtr.
    I was thinking more along the lines of a $50 set of Crank Bros. to save 150g.