mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Next bike...Titus??

My last three mountain bikes have all come from the Titus family Ė Racer X 100, Racer X 100 ti and most recently a FTM. Iíve been thinking about either a Rockstar or upgrading my FTM to a FTM carbon. I live in AZ and love that I can drive down to Tempe if needed and like that I can support a local company.

With Titus under new ownership what are the thoughts about future purchases? Iíve only considered a Titus model for the last ten years. What are your thoughts on buying a Titus in future?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

local?

Quote Originally Posted by truble911
    I live in AZ and love that I can drive down to Tempe if needed and like that I can support a local company.

================================================== =============

you wouldn't be supporting a local co. anymore, if that matters to ya

With Titus under new ownership what are the thoughts about future purchases? Iíve only considered a Titus model for the last ten years. What are your thoughts on buying a Titus in future?
    ================================================== ===========

Titus bikes were great before, & if new ownership keeps 'em that way, why not?
    breezy shade

High Alpine Adventure
    I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

With Shiggy and Co. driving things here in the states I think Titus has a real bright future. I'm looking forward to how the designs evolve over the next year or so. I'm sure "Lite-rail" is going to be revisited.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

Jamin, Applesause, No?
    From what I can tell, On-One is going to be able to produce a good titus bike for us in the future. I have been looking at some other bikes from them and from what I am reading about the way they have been doing business, it sounds really promising. I have been thinking about getting a Ti Van Nicholas frame from On-One.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

With Shiggy and Co. driving things here in the states I think Titus has a real bright future. I'm looking forward to how the designs evolve over the next year or so. I'm sure "Lite-rail" is going to be revisited.
    We will be doing our best. At this point it looks like it will be a while before we can bring new production to the market.

We will be soliciting people's ideas about the general direction of the brand and what the new bikes should be.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

My last three mountain bikes have all come from the Titus family Ė Racer X 100, Racer X 100 ti and most recently a FTM. Iíve been thinking about either a Rockstar or upgrading my FTM to a FTM carbon. I live in AZ and love that I can drive down to Tempe if needed and like that I can support a local company.

truble, we would love to keep you on a Titus. We have moved everything to Oregon, though. Still working out where the permanent US base will be.

Sales of the current stock is going to start soon.

New models are going to be a ways off as we realign the company and retool. The plan is to keep as much of the production as possible in the US.
    mtbtires.com

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    We will be doing our best. At this point it looks like it will be a while before we can bring new production to the market.

We will be soliciting people's ideas about the general direction of the brand and what the new bikes should be.
    Always thought of Titus as a few things:

Custom capability, even when they had moved to almost completely mass production.
    Keeping racy designs, even with their longer travel bikes.
    American made frames. This might be the hardest to accomplish, but would garner great goodwill, (and would put a 'new' Titus on my shopping list.)

JmZ
    I'd like 3" / 5" / 7-9"/ hardtail / c-cross options. kthxby
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    truble, we would love to keep you on a Titus. We have moved everything to Oregon, though. Still working out where the permanent US base will be.

Sales of the current stock is going to start soon.

New models are going to be a ways off as we realign the company and retool. The plan is to keep as much of the production as possible in the US.

I did not post this meaning I wanted to change brands just becuase Titus will not longer be based in AZ. Living here I just always thought is was cool to be able to help support a local company and the one and only time I needed a replacement part I was able to drive down and pick it up.

Glad the Titus name will live on as I have loved all three of the Titus models I've owned.

Happy to see Titus staying in the western US. I lived in Bend for several years back in the late 80's/ early 90's and that is where I really got into Mtn. biking.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    My next bike will be a titus if and when i find a large Ti el guapo for sale.
    Other than that I am totally satisfied with my racer x ti.

To shiggy. Given the rash of failures in the CF bits I would like to see titus go full ti or full aluminum. I think the 1 or 2 oz weight penalty would be well worth it for a frame you can trust. And dump the full carbon frames altogether. They are just not a great idea for mountain bikes.

mtbr member

Bring back the Racer X 29er

I have an aluminum 08' Racer X 29er and have absolutely no intentions of replacing it - unless it breaks. If and when that happens, I would pay custom $$ to get it replaced. For where I live and ride in the midwest it's perfect. Anyone got a size medium Ti front triangle they want to sell?

I sure hope the new owners can bring this model back, rename the "Rockstar" and get rid of the carbon rear that has been cracking.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifer
    And dump the full carbon frames altogether. They are just not a great idea for mountain bikes.
    Well I don't mean to sidejack and am not looking to start an argument with Lucifer, so let me just state my opinion. Having raced an Orbea Alma 29 for a the last three years and having ridden a Spez Enduro SL S-Works Carbon over a lot of the high country of Colorado, I don't have the same reservations about Carbon.

HOWEVER, it needs to be well designed which does take "Pro-Eng Man Hours". Spez doesn't use a carbon rear triangle on the Enduros and that may be the lesson. The issues with Titus and carbon were always with the "Lite-rail".

I believe if they went back to the older style carbon seat stay (Box Carbon) they would be fine. My Racer-Exo has the old style carbon stays and it has taken some serious abuse.

That said, I too would like to see them put MORE investment into Ti and Exo... so with that I don't disagree!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

All for the Ti

My next bike will be a titus if and when i find a large Ti el guapo for sale.
    Other than that I am totally satisfied with my racer x ti.
    Good luck, I was after that bike for a while, that thing is elusive. Had to give up the chase and get the aluminum. Bike rips.

To shiggy. Given the rash of failures in the CF bits I would like to see titus go full ti or full aluminum. I think the 1 or 2 oz weight penalty would be well worth it for a frame you can trust. And dump the full carbon frames altogether. They are just not a great idea for mountain bikes.
    I agree. Never ridden the lite rail though, it even sounds flimsy.

Shiggy, Ti-RaiL or better yet GraviTi-RaiL
    How awesome would it be to have a HL line that is tuned for rider weight right out of the box. It doesn't have to be exact but something closer than one size fits all.
    ©

I did not post this meaning I wanted to change brands just becuase Titus will not longer be based in AZ. Living here I just always thought is was cool to be able to help support a local company and the one and only time I needed a replacement part I was able to drive down and pick it up.

Glad the Titus name will live on as I have loved all three of the Titus models I've owned.

Happy to see Titus staying in the western US. I lived in Bend for several years back in the late 80's/ early 90's and that is where I really got into Mtn. biking.
    Just wanted to be sure you did not drive to Tempe looking for us.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillOG
    Good luck, I was after that bike for a while, that thing is elusive. Had to give up the chase and get the aluminum. Bike rips.

I agree. Never ridden the lite rail though, it even sounds flimsy.

Shiggy, Ti-RaiL or better yet GraviTi-RaiL
    How awesome would it be to have a HL line that is tuned for rider weight right out of the box. It doesn't have to be exact but something closer than one size fits all.
    Thanks, all. We will have a more formal questionnaire up soon, but do keep the chatter going.

Deerhill, what do you mean by "HL line"?
    mtbtires.com

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Hl

Thanks, all. We will have a more formal questionnaire up soon, but do keep the chatter going.

Deerhill, what do you mean by "HL line"?
    The ever popular Horst Link as perfected by Titus

mtbr member
    Well I don't mean to sidejack and am not looking to start an argument with Lucifer, so let me just state my opinion. Having raced an Orbea Alma 29 for a the last three years and having ridden a Spez Enduro SL S-Works Carbon over a lot of the high country of Colorado, I don't have the same reservations about Carbon.
    I broke two carbon enduro sl's myself. That was the big reason for my switch back to titus from specialized.

Id like to see a new EG with a through axle rear and taper headtube. 1.5 looks cool but no one is going to make 1.5" straight steerer forks soon. Why not shave some weight.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com
    The ever popular Horst Link as perfected by Titus
    Ah, got it. But any suspension needs to be tuned for rider weight and riding style.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

yeah, horst link

* posted at the same time

"Ah, got it. But any suspension needs to be tuned for rider weight and riding style."

Maybe the stock shock could be offered w/ a couple tunes for weight? 150-175-200-225lbs, that way sag is set a little better (instead of having to add too much pressure).

Just sayin, it would be awesome to get the sag close out of the box, it makes a night and day difference w/ a HL bike
    Last edited by Deerhill; 01-08-2011 at 11:03 AM.
    ©

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    del
    ©

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGoat
    I believe if they went back to the older style carbon seat stay (Box Carbon) they would be fine. My Racer-Exo has the old style carbon stays and it has taken some serious abuse.

That said, I too would like to see them put MORE investment into Ti and Exo... so with that I don't disagree!
    A buddy of mine sent back his 2009 ftm because of rear end issues. Titus gave him a full carbon 2010 FTM. Not more than a few rides into owning it the rear end cracked on that one. So no the problems aren't just with the light rail...
    Glad to hear your luck has been better.