mtbr member

New wheels in da house!

Well, they finally arrived at my door, DT Swiss 5.1's, Hope Pro II hubs, wheelsmith 15/17 stainless spokes with black alloy nipples. They forgot to send the DT Swiss tubeless kit but I found one in town. To my utter amazement the kit is for ONE WHEEL at $35 bucks, I didnt realize this until I got home as it doesnt say anything on the box. Dont waste your money on it, I couldnt get mine to seal and it is a pain to install because it is made out of PVC and you have to stretch the crap out of it. I ended up using some standard width Stan's rim strips that I had laying around and they sealed up with no problems. With my old Mavic Crossmax's, my rear wheel always seemed to be off center(toward the cogs) by about a 1/4 inch, with the new wheels, it is dead center. I shot a little video clip of the bees in the freehub, I will post it later. I definately wont be startling any hikers on the trail!
    Attached Images Attached Images

"El Whatever"
    Wow, Cragistr!!!

Gotta love that combo... And that gunsmoke colour looks just like made specifically for your ML!

Congrats!! Doncha love that revolver-barrel sound of the freewheel?? 'Cos I do!
    Check my Site

mtbr member

Yeah, I do love it, check this out.

It sounds much louder in person. (Click on the Picture)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Looks sensational craigstr

I'm a huge fan of silver spokes, and you got some nice fat rims there

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That looks freaking awesome!

I'll listen for you next week while I'm in Tahoe!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    DT Swiss tubeless kit is way better than the stans strip, I'm surprised you had issues with them.

I have a riding buddy with the pro II rear hub and it completely drowns out my king hub within 20' of me.
    Titus Racer X
    Lynskey Singlespeed

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    congrats, craigstr!

Though I agree with Asahi... the strip is actually what I like best about the Eclipse/DT system when compared to stans... I no longer run them, because I hated cleaning up when changing tires... but the strip is still the best part

mtbr member
    just curious...what did you pay for those wheels? sans any tubeless stuff.

Master of None
    Nice! I have yet to try the tubelesskit on my ex5.1d.. Right now I have Maxxis strips which work pretty good.

mtbr member

Good Deal

Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    just curious...what did you pay for those wheels? sans any tubeless stuff.
    $469 at Universal Cycles using their custom wheel builder

mtbr member

Where did you get the Maxxis strips?

Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    Nice! I have yet to try the tubelesskit on my ex5.1d.. Right now I have Maxxis strips which work pretty good.
    I havent seen them online anywhere.

Master of None
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    I havent seen them online anywhere.
    They don't make them any more. You can call up go-ride and see what they have left; they bought up the rest of stock.
    http://www.go-ride.com/prod_tubes.html

I used 26A1 and they fit pretty good, although 26DH1 is preferred there are none of those left.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    $469 at Universal Cycles using their custom wheel builder
    wow, that's a damn low price.

Trophy Husband
    craigstr

Nice wheelset! My wheels are the same (except for DT Comps)...I got mine in last week from Ride-This...about 30 bucks more, but they got them to me faster than Universal.

I was really not prepared for how loud these hubs are...WOW!

xcl2sm.JPG
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member

Ride Review

I have two rides on them now and I gotta say, I love them. Way stiffer than the Crossmax's. In the turns I feel no deflection, instant engagement of the freehub and I love the bees, they are killer. Everybody you ride by stops and looks at you. The only beef I have with them is I am not crazy about the standard quick release conversion in the front hub because basically there is no axle. The skewer just pierces through the aluminum caps that press into the bearings so there is no way to adjust bearing play, correct?? I bought a WTB Weirwolf 2.55 LT a few months back and mounted it up and it looked funky because of the huge casing an low tread. I mounted it up on the new wheels and gave it a try today. I love it at 25lbs. psi. Low rolling resistance and I was glued to the ground.

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by Asahi
    DT Swiss tubeless kit is way better than the stans strip, I'm surprised you had issues with them.

I have a riding buddy with the pro II rear hub and it completely drowns out my king hub within 20' of me.
    I'm surprised too. I under stand the frustration of mounting them ( I all most gave up).... and they are very expensive.....but after that, they have work perfect. they hold a tubless tire very well.

"Its All Good"
    Great looking wheels graigstr / Geo................. Glad to hear they are humming well...

The demo El G had Mavix Crossmax SX, the FR wheels, main thing I noticed was that they are silent, unlike the Kings, Hope or I9 hubs....

It amazes me the pricing on rim strips etc. The Stans rim strip can vary from 20 USD up to 35 USD, amazing.... But by the sounds the DT set up is expensive also..........

But I have found the initial setup of having no tubes can be a bit of pain, but well worht it in the long run

Enjoy
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"