Thread: New Video

mtbr member

New Video

I was down in Southern California and did some riding with an old buddy on a trail he has built completely by himself. Check it out.

amar la vida de dos niner
    Show of hands for those of us who ducked under the tree limb about half way through...

Looks like a fun run. Thanks for posting that.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." Anais Nin

mtbr member
    sweet video...

mtbr member
    Looks like a phenomenal run! Makes me want to get out and cut a trail! Kudos for the effort and sweeeet editing at the end.
    [SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    sweet!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    That vid is great. The scenery is very different than here in N Georgia. I like the jumps, they are actually about the right size for me to do.

mtbr member

Jumps

Yeah, the jumps were enough for me, I will be 40 in September, I used to do huge doubles and triples when I rode motos and raced BMX, now stuff like that is a little scary. I run tubeless tires and the first time I did the first ramp, my tire blew out when I landed and came off the rim and got all wrapped up in the rotor. Fun stuff!

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    I run tubeless tires and the first time I did the first ramp, my tire blew out when I landed and came off the rim and got all wrapped up in the rotor. Fun stuff!
    This tubeless blow out crap on the front tire has been happening to me with great regularity on my 819s. its sent me to the ground 5 times over the last year. with three different tires. about ready to call it quits on the 819 as a front rim.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    This tubeless blow out crap on the front tire has been happening to me with great regularity on my 819s. its sent me to the ground 5 times over the last year. with three different tires. about ready to call it quits on the 819 as a front rim.
    You think it's the 819's? I have them laced to CK's and run a tubed Nevegal w/ Stan's. I have blown it out 3 times but, 2 of the times I was running low pressure (really tech stuff) 28psi and I thought that was the case. The 3rd was a reall hard hit directly on the front. Unfortunately, one of the first two resulted iin a Rotator Cuff Tear and 2 months of recovery after surgery. If it's the 819's I would like to know. Start a questionare thread if you have time...I've got to take the kids to soccer!?
    [SIZE="2"]"You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer [/SIZE]

mtbr member

823's bro!

Bummer Demo!

I've been running the 823's with UST Minion up front on my SuMo for years (had the wheels before the SuMo). I have had a few burps on bad rocky landings, but I've never lost full air - let alone had a tire come off the rim! Yikes dude!

Both the rims and the tires are heavy, but after messing around with unreliable crap, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make - on the 7x7 SuMo anyway...

However, to save weight I think I'm gonna' try DT5.1/I-9 for the Guapo, but damn, the 823/ UST Minon are so well proven... it's a togh choice...

The 105lb wife's Motolite will probly get 819's/DT240's. Seems like a great application for this this rim. Maybe 819 up front w/ DT 4.1 rear... Babbling now...

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin'in'Zona
    Bummer Demo!

I've been running the 823's with UST Minion up front on my SuMo for years (had the wheels before the SuMo). I have had a few burps on bad rocky landings, but I've never lost full air - let alone had a tire come off the rim! Yikes dude!

Both the rims and the tires are heavy, but after messing around with unreliable crap, it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make - on the 7x7 SuMo anyway...

However, to save weight I think I'm gonna' try DT5.1/I-9 for the Guapo, but damn, the 823/ UST Minon are so well proven... it's a togh choice...

The 105lb wife's Motolite will probly get 819's/DT240's. Seems like a great application for this this rim. Maybe 819 up front w/ DT 4.1 rear... Babbling now...
    well. I have the 823s on my SuMo. and yes they seem to work great. I've taken tires that blew on the 819 and they are safe on the 823s.but, I have a had 1 crash where I have no idea what happend. the only clue was that front tire was half deflated and there was dirt and grass inside the front tire.

I've made alot of excuses for the 819s. low air preasure. tires are too wide.... the last straw. I rolled off a 2.1 UST bluegrove at 45 PSI @ 2 MPH turning out of a rut. blew its load. just got the right sideload on it. and it blew off. I was beside myself .

I was talking with an old bud about this and he said, has been running a tube up front for the same isssue.

also found that eclipse has a tubeless kit for UST rims . they put in a strip to build up the center. gona be a headache to get a tire on the rim. but the tires not going to come off easy either.
    http://www.tubelesskit.com/2005/Tubelesskitust.html
    some thing to try maybe?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

also found that eclipse has a tubeless kit for UST rims . they put in a strip to build up the center. gona be a headache to get a tire on the rim. but the tires not going to come off easy either.
    http://www.tubelesskit.com/2005/Tubelesskitust.html
    some thing to try maybe?
    Demo, the eclipse kit is very good.. I used it on my old mavic 717s...and it was great... they are also the provider for the DT kits. The eclipse strip is what makes the eclipse system better than stans IMHO, stan's sealant is a bit better though...

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Demo, the eclipse kit is very good.. I used it on my old mavic 717s...and it was great... they are also the provider for the DT kits. The eclipse strip is what makes the eclipse system better than stans IMHO, stan's sealant is a bit better though...
    the rim strip for the UST rims are different. but I hear you.

I just built up a new set of wheels for my guapo. put the DT/eclipse strips on my DT5.1s . had my first ride on them today (without guapo).. they are good and bad. they seem to hold a bead 100X better then the 819s. did a climb with 20 PSI in the rear tire. it wiggled all over the place as it should. burped a few PSI. but never de beaded like the mavics would have. but its 1000X harder to get a tire on to the rim. I almost gave up trying to get the tire onto it. I had to resort to tire levers and had to lubricate the tire bead (with stans)

spoke replacment is going to be a problem with the rims strips. they fit very tight. very very tight. probably need to cut it off if I lose the nipple. not a good thing... given that they cost $40 each.

searcher
    Great video, thx.
    Now I miss my bike big time!
    Kovi

"Its All Good"
    Craig, great vid, that made me better from having the flu and being bed ridden all weekend...

Most enjoyable...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Veni Vidi Vici
    Awesome video

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for that craigstr !~!

Ripper of a ride SmileyCentral.com

ಠ_ಠ
    the rim strip for the UST rims are different. but I hear you.

I just built up a new set of wheels for my guapo. put the DT/eclipse strips on my DT5.1s . had my first ride on them today (without guapo).. they are good and bad. they seem to hold a bead 100X better then the 819s. did a climb with 20 PSI in the rear tire. it wiggled all over the place as it should. burped a few PSI. but never de beaded like the mavics would have. but its 1000X harder to get a tire on to the rim. I almost gave up trying to get the tire onto it. I had to resort to tire levers and had to lubricate the tire bead (with stans)

spoke replacment is going to be a problem with the rims strips. they fit very tight. very very tight. probably need to cut it off if I lose the nipple. not a good thing... given that they cost $40 each.
    Never had those problems with my 819s, but I'm not as heavy; and may not ride as hard. One thing I've only recently discovered is that you should NEVER use tire levers on UST tires. Of course everyone knows about the no tire lever rule when putting any tire on, UST or otherwise. But, I just recently read in Zinn that you shouldn't use them at all on USTs. I've been using levers when removing my tires, or to add Stan's after a few pin holes. Apparently, the tire levers stretch the bead and make for a looser fit. By the way, taking a UST tire off without levers is much easier than I would have guessed.

"El Whatever"
    Man, that's awesome!!

Makes me wanna leave the office and go ride straight away!!

Phenomenal run and skills, bro!!
    Check my Site