CSM
    Jun 2009

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! New to Titus! Just bought ML-1. Help!

After a lot of debate, I decided to pull the trigger and buy the ML-1. I bought a Med from CC.

Titus seems to make a very good product. My issue is that I am pretty new to the MTB scence, and now that I have this shiny new frame, I am not sure how I should build it up. Essentially, I am looking for something economical to get me back on the trails ASAP, but I also want it to be something that makes sense on an ML-1 frame. No sense buying such a high caliber brand to put a bunch of junk on it.

Here is what I was thinking. (PP buildkit)

Brake Levers: Avid FR-5 Brake Levers 2009
    Shifter Cables: Alligator Cable With Housing
    Shifter Cables: Alligator Cable With Housing
    Chain: Sram PC 951 Chain w/ PowerLink 2008
    Crankset: Truvativ Firex 3.3 Team Crankset 2008
    Rear Brake: Avid BB7 Disc Brake - Mechanical 160mm 2008
    Rear Brake: Avid BB7 Disc Brake - Mechanical 160mm 2008
    Handlebar: Sette XLR 25.4mm Low Riser Handlebar
    Headset: FSA Pig Headset
    Saddle: Sette Amp Saddle
    Shifters: Sram X.7 Trigger Shifters 2008
    Option: IRC Mythos XC II Racing Kevlar Tire Black
    Option: IRC Mythos XC II Racing Kevlar Tire Black
    Rim Tape: Sette Rim Tape
    Wheelset: Shimano Deore Disc Wheelset w/ Sun Rhyno Lite Rims

For the fork I have already purchased an '09 Rock Shox revelation 426, but was considering getting a 20mm front hub and getting the '09 pike 454. What makes the 20mm maxle better than standard QR? Pike is nice because I can drop it down to 95mm, whereas the Rvl only goes down to 110. Opinions? Fox is out of the question, too expensive, plus I have never used anything except Rock Shox.

Unfortunately I purchased a size Med, and after reading some of the sizing reccomendation maybe it is too large? I am 155lbs, 5'8" with a 31" inseam. Should I return the Med and hope I find a small? I just don't think I will be able to find a deal like this from such a good brand within my timespan for building.

So many questions, I know, and I really do appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this and give me some feedback. I am just a young guy, looking to buy his first real bike, looking for the advice of some of you more experienced riders. Thanks!

Upon rereading my post I figure a question summary may be helpful.

1)General ML-1 helpful advice?
    2)Parts kit? Suggestions? Parts you would upgrade from list?
    3) Pike or Rev? Difference? QR vs maxle? Difference?
    4)Sizing, Med too large for me?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    For what it's worth, i ride a 07 motolite II small and I am 5'6" and ride it with a 90mm stem and it fits me like a glove. I think the medium will treat you well. If you think it's a bit long, i would suggest maybe going with a shorter stem like a 90mm also.

You will love the moto/ml-1. If you bought the ML1 at colorado cyclist on closeout, that is one heck of a deal! Judging by your parts kit, your budget seems to be somewhat limited. I wouldnt stress to much about the build kit. Just make sure you can get a bike together with your budget. Granted, your build will be slightly heavy at first but that will only make you stronger when you do upgrade to lighter components

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Not those wheels

Break into your piggy bank and choose some lighter wheels. No need for rim brakes.
    On your limited budget, stick with a standard 9mm front axle for and hub combo.

Also, reconsider the tires. They were pretty good 8-10 years ago.

FSA Pig is overkill for a ML1.

The rest will do fine.

screamer
    [QUOTE=Bikerbob.com]Break into your piggy bank and choose some lighter wheels. No need for rim brakes.
    On your limited budget, stick with a standard 9mm front axle for and hub combo.

Also, reconsider the tires. They were pretty good 8-10 years ago.

FSA Pig is overkill for a ML1.

The rest will do fine.[/QUOTE
    Great advice. A FSA orbit or Cane Creek anything will be a good headset alternative, especially since headsets are a pain to remove and upgrade later. If you can swing an additional $300, try one of the hope pro2 hub wheelsets from chain reaction cycles. Incredible value, and the hub can be converted to 20mm down the road. Sell the deore/rhino wheels; someone will pay you $50 for them at least. And don't worry about the fork length; 110mm is plenty low for the ML.
    And not sure if you're building the bike yourself, but it may be worth paying your local bike store to install the headset and bottom bracket, especially if you haven't done that before. Doing it wrong can really damage your frame, so it's well worth having it done right.
    Congratulations on your new bike! Best value out there!

mtbr member
    I just got mine today too. Awesome deal at CC and include fox RP23 and carbon seatpost. Your build is almost exactly like mine, except I got the rockshox reba SL. It's an awesome frame. I had a Blur XC before and wanted a little more travel.

"El Whatever"
    IF you're thinking Pike Coil vs. Revelation Air, then the Pike goes lower.

If you're thinking Pike Air, then it will go as low as 110mm also.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    No need to go lower than 110mm on a moto.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie
    . If you can swing an additional $300, try one of the hope pro2 hub wheelsets from chain reaction cycles. Incredible value, and the hub can be converted to 20mm down the road. Sell the deore/rhino wheels; someone will pay you $50 for them at least.
    The is excellent advice - I picked up a set of Hope Pro2 hubs laced to Mavic xm719 rims with DT Swiss Comp spokes for ~ $350 USD from these guys for my ML2. Couldn't be happier - custom wheels delivered fast. Been on them for almost a full year now, and they are still true.

CSM
    Jun 2009

ML-1 build update

Thanks for advice modified things abit.

Shimano XT Shadow Drivetrain
    Shimano M775 Disc Brakes
    Carbon Seatpost (included with frame, duh)
    Easton Monkey Lite Carbon SL Bars

For Rims I looked at hope, but they were pretty expensive. I can go that route if necessary but I was looking for something around 200-250. These ones look cool. The camo will look sweet on the ML-1.

Sun Ringle Equalizer 31 Rim W/Demon HQ Hub Wheelset 20 Thru/12x135 Camo

But are they decent?

Also, can you recommend me a good tire set (and size), a good "do it all" ML tire?

Need recommendations for a decent 90mm stem, a saddle (white preferably), and a good headset. I shouldn't fudge on the headset, as somebody pointed out, it is a pain to upgrade down the road.

One final question. My friend has a set of Mavic 317 Rims laced to hope pro2 hubs with dt swiss spokes. Slightly used. Should I try and jump on those instead? Is that a good wheelset? Thanks in advance, and thanks for talking me out of some of the cheapo parts I mentioned earlier.

If I go with the hope wheelset, any guesses on what kind of weight I could be looking at (with headset, stem tires and saddle still ambiguous)?

Thanks in advance.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEBiker
    Sun Ringle Equalizer 31 Rim W/Demon HQ Hub Wheelset 20 Thru/12x135 Camo

But are they decent?

Thanks in advance.
    12x135mm will not fit. You'll need a 10x135 or 9x135 (standard QR).
    Extreme stationary biker.

CSM
    Jun 2009

Update: Almost done, need just a few more pointers.

Okay, I think I've addressed all of the glaring issues with my first build setup. I am still undecided on my tires (first tubless set), and my seat. Everything else is shipping out and I should have her built up in a week or so. Please let me know if something is bad, because I am at the point where I can resell/return anything here. A tweak I was considering was going with an xt/xtr front derailleur instead of x-9.

Frame:Titus Ml-1
    Fork: '09 Rockshox Revelation 426 Dual Air Uturn
    Wheel set: XT M765 centerlock disc hubs laced to Mavic X823 UST rims.
    Brakes: '09 Shimano M775 discs with 160mm Shimano centerlock rotors.
    Seat post: Maxm CM27 carbon
    Stem: Race Face Deus XC 90mm
    Handle Bars: Easton Monkeylite SL
    Front Derailleur: Sram x-9
    Rear Derailleur: Sram x-9
    Shifters: Sram x-9 Trigger
    Crankset: Truvativ Stylo 3.3 Team
    BB: Truvativ BB GXP
    Grips: Sette White lock-ons
    Pedals: Tioga Spyder Platforms (white, black or silver: undecided)
    Headset: Cane Creek s8
    UST Sealant: Stans (figured I better buy some even though wheel set is UST all around)
    Cassette: Sram 11:34

Like I say, I need some real help finding a good set of tires. I think I have found one, then I read the reviews and it doesn't pan out. I have considered Nevegals, High Rollers, and others. I will be riding this thing up, but also down pretty fast. Looking for a grippy tire that corners well, but won't wear out in 4 moths. I'd appreciate some input from some of you seasoned riders. This is my first UST attempt.

As for the seat, well I'm open for input, but I am looking for something I can ride all day w/o a huge weight penalty, hopefully for under $100.

txn
    mtbr member
    Saddles are a very personal decision. See if your LBS has any demo saddles, or try to pick some up on CL for cheap. That being said, the WTB Laser V and Rocket V saddles seem really popular around here.

CSM
    Jun 2009
    I thought as much concerning the saddles, my big question concerns the tires. Bikerbob nerfed the mythos (plus now I need UST).

From tire size, to brand, to model I am clueless. I now the ml-1 can handle 2.35, but that is about it.

screamer
    Really depends on where you are & what conditions you'll be riding. A great all-around XC setup I like for dry conditions is WTB Exiwolf 2.3 or Wolverine 2.2 rear / Weirwolf 2.3 Race front. Relatively fast rolling, won't break the bank, decent traction for loose dry conditions, don't weigh a ton. If you need more climbing grip, the Weirwolf 2.1 run backwards in the rear works really well also. Make sure to get the Race version, though (lighter).

txn
    mtbr member
    You might start in your state's forum and find out what others in your area are running.

what's that rattle?
    About your wheelset choice: The Mavic 823 is a downhill / freeride rim. If you want to go Mavic tubeless you'd be better off with an 819 Disc...will save about a half pound per wheel. XT hubs are fine but aren't the lightest.

I really like a 2.35 Stick-E Nevegal as a front tire matched with a fast rolling 2.1 rear.

CSM
    Jun 2009
    I figured the 823 wouldn't be the lightest choice, but I figure that I am going to be beating the rims up while I learn the bike, and learn the terrain.

Thanks for the input, it is all quite helpful. Conditions here in Colorado are mostly hardpack, (with more and more sand as season progresses) with rocks ranging from gravel to 4" in diameter. Sure there is more extreme stuff, but that is where I am looking at learning this bike.

And lots of vertical gain. LOTS!