Thread: New titus Info

mtbr member

New titus Info

Titus seems to have posted some new info on their web-site:

Where We Are Headed
    2011-03-22
    New designs built on our successes.

Titus will now build on the ideas, work, and design that have been successful the past 20 years. We look at what has made the brand an iconic name in the mountain bike industry and build on it.
    We are also utilizing key people that have been previously involved with design and engineering to better current models and conceive new ideas. The ball is rolling.

In the pipeline:
    - We will have new product at Sea Otter.

- New 29er models with the proven horst design.
    - We will also be doing some great promotional campaigns this year to celebrate the 20th anniversary.

http://www.titusti.com/2010/news.php?id=95

Can't wait to see what they show at Sea Otter!

I am Bob
    Interesting! lots of folks were anticipating the new Titus to move away from Horst link due to the cost. Good news in my book.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Isn't the HL about to go into the public domain. (IE Specy's purchased patent is going to expire.)

It would make it easier for people to do HL bikes and variations instead of harder.

And Titus probably has an existing licence so they wouldn't get raked over the coals for this year until it does expire.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hey JMZ,

Specilized bicycles has a 20 year patent on the Horest Link so we have a ways to go before it enters the public domain.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    Hey JMZ,

Specilized bicycles has a 20 year patent on the Horest Link so we have a ways to go before it enters the public domain.
    I remember reading somewhere here that the 17 or 20 years (whichever) period starting running from the invention of the Horst link and that predates the filing (1997 IIRC). So, the thinking was that the HL patent would expire in early 2012. I'm no patent lawyer, so time will tell.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    A while back we tried to figure out when the Horest Link Patent was up. You can probably do a search for that thread if you really want to know bad enough.

It turns out to rather to be complicated matter and you really need be a patent laywer to figure out it. Because it is so confusing, I can't see any bike company using the Horest Link until they are absolutely sure the patent is exipred or else face the possibility of being tied up in litigation and going bankrupt through legal fees and court costs.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    I remember reading somewhere here that the 17 or 20 years (whichever) period starting running from the invention of the Horst link and that predates the filing (1997 IIRC). So, the thinking was that the HL patent would expire in early 2012. I'm no patent lawyer, so time will tell.
    First HL bikes from Amp where in the 90-92 range IIRC. If that is when the clock started ticking, then yep it'll be this year or next. Barring any legal crap by the big S.

I'm not a patent atty either, but I did do a quick google search on when the patent was to expire.

And the players involved would know better than I. I just wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing more HL bikes, and not to far away.

For Titus - I figure they should have some sort of licence agreement that should protect them until that point.

I'm hoping it goes into public domain, and soon. Should be interesting.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    The patent expires in 2014. Also, it is only valid in the USA. HL bikes do very well in Europe and are cheap to make.

Titus owes specialized money for past use of the HL, which I don't think they paid so they may have worked out some deal.

I expect to see a lot more HL bikes in 2014. A lot of which will come from overseas and be cheap.

mtbr member
    Titus said that a new product will come at the Sea Otter, but Titus (or On One/Planet X ) doesn't appear on the Sea Otter 2011 Exhibitors list.....
    ( http://www.seaotterclassic.com/index..._attendees.htm )
    Titus Eleven / Merlin XLM / Seven Sola

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lab28
    Titus said that a new product will come at the Sea Otter, but Titus (or On One/Planet X ) doesn't appear on the Sea Otter 2011 Exhibitors list.....
    ( http://www.seaotterclassic.com/index..._attendees.htm )
    Interesting observation. We are signed up and paid. We will be exhibiting Planet X/On One/Titus in the same booth. From what I recall we are next to the Luna MTB team.

mtbr member
    From what I recall we are next to the Luna MTB team.
    Isn't that a womens team? (giggity)
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible
    Isn't that a womens team? (giggity)
    What are you saying?

Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by TitusBen
    What are you saying?
    Those women are manlier than you, Terrible.
    The Lunachicks would kick your ass!

mtbr member
    What are you saying?
    Just pointing it out.

Those women are manlier than you, Terrible.
    The Lunachicks would kick your ass!
    hey I ride a bike with a bunch of pink parts! I have a feminine side, I try to touch it all the time,he he he

mtbr member
    Wow that went downhill FAST!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The Racer X will make its comeback at the Sea Otter Classic.
    This timeless classic will be shown in its new 29 inch version. It is the Rockstar reborn into a more XC racer geometry. The new Racer X 29 will sport a shorter wheelbase, steeper angles, and quicker handling than the Rockstar with still 100mm of front and rear travel. (Donít worry Rockstar fans, it is not going away but will also be subject to a little face lift of its own down the road.) The RX29 will also feature a revised beefed-up carbon rocker link to increase lateral stiffness. And short people will shout for joy over the fact that a RX29 extra small with a 15 inch seat tube has been designed and will be going into production.

The Racer X will have a reunion with an old friend. The Riddler is back, but in 29er form and will also make its debut at Sea Otter. Based on the geometry of the Fireline, it will be fast but easier on the wallet. It will be an American-made all-aluminum hard tail that will boast a tapered head tube, hydro formed tubing and Titus proprietary replaceable dropouts so this mean machine can be run geared or single minded.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    In unity with the 20 year anniversary we will make one last production run of Titus Exogrid Fireline 29er hardtail bikes to remember the good ole days.
    This will not be like the Rolling Stones where every tour is the last tour. This is it. There will only be 20 made (I will point out the obvious by saying that 20 made in accord with 20 years).
    In keeping with the number 20 theme, which is XX in Roman Numerals, it will be a complete bike with Sram XX drive train, brakes, and fork, with Enve carbon cockpit/wheels and a WTB saddle/tire combo to round it out.
    It will feature a 44mm inset head tube and a press-fit 30 bottom bracket, topped off with a specially-made titanium head badge that will be individually numbered. Reflecting upon this set up, it is clear that we are looking to celebrate making it to 20 in a big way. We will have a sample at Sea Otter and will get a picture up on the web soon thereafter.
    Manufacturing is being done by the legendary Sam Davis and Shawn Morra, who have a long history with fabricating Titus titanium frames.

If you would like to get the above pile of tubes made into your bike, this is how it will work: When I say go, (which will be at Sea Otter), the first 19 people to throw down their pesos and choose their size will be put into the production queue. Why 19 you ask? We have something special up our sleeves for number 20!

mtbr member
    It will be an American-made all-aluminum hard tail
    Thank ya' Jesus!

the first 19 people to throw down their pesos
    How many peso's we talk'n here? Guessing closs to a million or so?

jms
    mtbr member

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by kikoreta
    The Racer X will make its comeback at the Sea Otter Classic.
    This timeless classic will be shown in its new 29 inch version.
    Yes! I love my RX29. I'm glad Titus recognizes how good these thing are and is going to continue and preserve the lineage.
    My Favorite Peeps: