mtbr member

New shock for my El Guapo

Any recommendations? I currently have a monarch rt3 that needs serviced, but I'm not too impressed with it. Ever since I've had it I don't the flood gate settings worked (I've owned two monarchs). I have the seal kit, but not the adapter for the IFP. If my LBS cannot service the shock I'm going to replace it.

The new fox CTD shocks look intriguing. Anyone have one? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Alright, just went to two shops and one was straight and tells me they don't service rock shox and he wouldn't feel comfortable doing it and recommended shipping it off. The other tried to B.S. about how the servicing the internals would void the warranty and only nitrogen is used in the IFP (man I hate that shop!). So now I'm looking around the internet and every time I come across an IFP adapter the store is sold out or it says the part is discontinued.

So now I am really open to suggestions for a replacement shock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm going to switch to Vivid R2c coil shock soon. It's rather heavy, but it works impressive. I'll use it for winter rides and long descents (70% of my riding)

mtbr member
    I would try sending the Monarch to Steve at Garageworks and see what he can do with it. Probably cost you less then $100. If you are looking for another air shock, try a Monarch Plus, if you are looking for a coil, DSP Dueler.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. I need an air shock...I have to climb to earn my descend. I'm not familiar with garage works, but I'll shoot him an email.

Outcast
    Would you be interested in a slightly used Vivid air R2C? Mid tune. I have gone back to coil suspension for my EG; the vivid is the best air shock I have ever used. I tried a monarch plus RC3 on the EG as well, but it doesn't even come close to the performance of the Vivid.
    PM me if you.re interested; I have e very fair price in mind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Would you be interested in a slightly used Vivid air R2C? Mid tune. I have gone back to coil suspension for my EG; the vivid is the best air shock I have ever used. I tried a monarch plus RC3 on the EG as well, but it doesn't even come close to the performance of the Vivid.
    PM me if you.re interested; I have e very fair price in mind.
    Renegade I appreciate the offer but I think I am going to send it back to SRAM. I read in the Suspension forum that Push might be getting back in the game with RockShox products. Craigstr praises his Push'd Monarch so I am going to sit back and see what happens. My riding season is coming to an end soon (9 F outside) so I have some time to wait.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    Renegade I appreciate the offer but I think I am going to send it back to SRAM. I read in the Suspension forum that Push might be getting back in the game with RockShox products. Craigstr praises his Push'd Monarch so I am going to sit back and see what happens. My riding season is coming to an end soon (9 F outside) so I have some time to wait.
    Okay. no pressure from me. But if you are waiting for PUSH to reinstate ther Rockshox service lines, you may be waiting for a loooooooooooooooooong time. Darren is notorious for not delivering on the timelines he suggests here on MTBR. I have a long history with waitng for PUSH. I could write a novel.
    Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Has anyone seen/used this shock?

First Look: Jade Coil Shock – DVO Suspension

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by noufa777 View Post
    Has anyone seen/used this shock?

First Look: Jade Coil Shock DVO Suspension
    its not even out yet

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I`m planning to change my Monarch RT3 soon. I have three types of shocks on my list so far:
    1. Manitou Swinger Expert.
    2. RS Monarch RC3 Plus.
    3. Marzocchi Roco air TST R.

In your opinion, which one would be the best for El Guapo ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by INsejn View Post
    I`m planning to change my Monarch RT3 soon. I have three types of shocks on my list so far:
    1. Manitou Swinger Expert.
    2. RS Monarch RC3 Plus.
    3. Marzocchi Roco air TST R.

In your opinion, which one would be the best for El Guapo ?

I have a Roco Air RC W. Cup on my EG and I absolutely LOVE it. It's very smooth, plush and totally adjustable. I have never ridden a Roco Air TST R, but if it feels anything close to the Roco Air RC W. Cup, I would definitely recommend it.
    Titus El Guapo V2
    Marzocchi 2012 55 RC3 Evo Ti
    Marzocchi ROCO Air RC W. Cup

mtbr member

Cane Creek Double Barrel

Has anyone tried the Cane Creek Double Barrel Air?

I'm considering replacing my RT3.

Edit: Nevermind I found the thread.
    Last edited by The Thug; 02-13-2013 at 10:58 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Roco Air doesn't come in 216? comes in 222 x 70, is that what you're using, Shatmepants?

mtbr member
    Mine is definitely a 216mm. It looks like maybe Marzocchi dropped that size. That's too bad!
    Titus El Guapo V2
    Marzocchi 2012 55 RC3 Evo Ti
    Marzocchi ROCO Air RC W. Cup

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mishgun1 View Post
    I'm going to switch to Vivid R2c coil shock soon. It's rather heavy, but it works impressive. I'll use it for winter rides and long descents (70% of my riding)
    did you ever try this?
    interested in changing to vivid r2c coil 2013 as i've had a good offer, anyone comment on how they perform/if they fit/how they compare to a Fox Van RC/anything else please? reliability is the big one, do they fail much?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Does any one know if the adapter for the Marzocchi air valve works for the Monarch's IFP? They seem to look alike.

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2008
    well i can confirm Vivid Coil fits (about 2mm clearance around rocker, progressive hole) and seems to work well no idea on reliability yet.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Vivid coil w/ the external high and low speed rebound adjustments is an interesting shock, keep us posted on your findings

mtbr member
    May 2008
    well i may not be the best person as it's the only coil i've ever ridden... but holy hell it's plush! i have the low friction mount kits too (with blue washers?). the back wheel traction in cornering is amazing, AND the bike rides higher so fewer pedal strikes.

unfortunately i've now changed the fork as well (Rev to Lyrik) so won't be able to give such a good assessment of the shock...

Coil with Rev was just.. wrong (though i was immediately getting personal best times on dh, the fork dive is too much. no compression control on the Rev). Monarch + Rev made it a great XC bike though!

the vivid ML tune is maybe not ideal for Guapo, might want more compresssion.. maybe get the MM if you have choice (i didn't).