mtbr member
    Jun 2006

New ride: Motolite, Foes FXR, or wait for El Guapo

Hi all,

I have enjoyed reading posts here for a while (long time lurker). I am in the market again after 4 years and have narrowed my search to 3 choices. I currently ride a Specialized Enduro 02 model with high end parts. It is a great ride but the low BB means occasionally hitting pedals and from what I gather there are stiffer, better climbing, and at least as versatile rigs out there now sooo . . .

After reading everthing I could find on this site, combined with my own opinions and experience with different frame designs I have decided to stay with a 4 bar linkage or go with a simple single pivot. Truth be told I could be happy doing most of my riding with 5" of travel and a platform type shock. But, for those rare occasions when I bottom out or do shuttle type ski hill stuff the idea of 6" sounds appealing especially if I can climb as well as on my current rig. I live in south/central coastal Calif and the trails are often rocky and you have to ride up in order to ride down in most cases (and I actually like to ride up technical single track). I have been riding for 20 years (I am 37 now) but since having kids I am a bit out of shape and need a rig that climbs efficiently.

With that to go on what are you opinions? Get a Motolite, get a Foes which is a fair bit heavier but great platform and 6", or . . . wait for El Guapo????

Thanks for your comments.

thats right living legend

I Think I Can Help!!!

I don't envy you! Those are some tough choices...

Good Luck...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Well, I have an '03 Foes FXR, and just bought a Motolite. Not as a replacement but an addition. Although, the way everyone raves about the ML, it may be worthy to replace the Foes. In my situation, taking the Foes everywhere kind of sucks. It's a heavier bike at 32+ lbs, and it's very slack angles make it difficult to pedal. Plus its not very sensitive to small bumps.

However, it's a blast on the downhills and extrmely stiff!. I plan to strip the Foes and build the ML out of most of the parts and then rebuild the Foes in more Downhill fashion.

If you are looking for the one bike, most will say it doesn't exist and I personally dont feel the Foes is it. Only ridden the ML in a parking lot, I think I would take it over the Foes if I could only have one.

Best of luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    McGrath,

I think the FXR 2:1 has slightly steeper angles than previous models and supposedly more small bump sensitivity but your point is well taken. I have heard that it is not as plush as other 6" bikes but then it is supposed to climb like a hardtail (albeit a heavy one) - Does it?

Do you run an adjustable length fork on your Foes? I am wondering if that would cancel the problem of the slacker angles? In any case I would be happy to hear how you like the motolite and how you think its capabilities compare.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I run a AM1 on mine, 130-150 adjustable.... awesome fork. Super plush and very tuneable to any terrain. That's what's going on the ML too. Maybe a pike if I find it too tall, but we'll see.

I would say the only way the foes rear end "locks out" is with constant force on the chain. Otherwise it bobs, not much though. I've gotten pretty good at climbing out of the saddle and the rear won't bob much. But, it definetely doesnt pedal like a hardtail. I think that is a good thing though. You want a FS bike to track the terrain.

oh, I also have a DHX Coil on mine which helped even more so. The curnutt is a great shock, but there is even less small bump senstivity with it and it's heavy.

Like I said, if you had to choose one over the other and it be your only bike, I think the ML is more versatile. I also think there are better complimentary bikes out there than the Foes. I am really liking the way the El Guapo is shaping up. I may have to spring for that when it comes out and retire the Foes.

VooDoo user.
    I'm waiting for the Guapo but I have my Moment to keep me entertained in tthe mean time.