mtbr member

New ML2 - help me track down my squeak!

Just picked up a small ML2 frame and TALAS and had my old kit swapped over. Primarily RaceFace, LX and XT parts. Took it for a quick spin around some local trails yesterday. The bike handles extremely well and fits perfectly. BIG improvement over my old and too small hardtail

However, I am getting this crazy metal squeaking noise. Primarily this occurs when pedalling faster in lower gears (esp in the small ring), although I can force a little to happen by bouncing/actuating the suspension. It sounds a lot like the scraping of warped disc rotors against the pads, but that's not it. I don't think it is the suspension pivots, since it is metallic, not a creaky squeak (wow descriptive). It might be the chain scraping against something (FD/RD?), but I can't seem to replicate it in the stand...

Any thoughts/suggestions? The noise is very irritating, so I'd like to sort this out...

Oh yeah, pics of the new ride to come shortly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Congrats on the ML2

Maybe it is the brake pads under power (loose or flexy skewers)....

You could deflate the shock and cycle the suspension through it's travel to see if anything squeaks, rubs or hits...

annoying... hope you find it !~!

mtbr member

Shock Bushings

I get one on mine every once and a while and it is always the shock bushings. How about an ungreased pedal thread?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I've tried deflating the shock and cycling through the compression at various speeds - nothing. Then I aired it back up and sat on the bike bouncing, not rolling. Nothing. I would think/hope that the shock bushings would make noise under this test.

It seems likely that it is either the rear discs squealing due to wheel movement or misalignment, or pedal bearings on the way out (all threads are well greased). I'm going to try first checking the rotor/caliper alignment then swapping pedals later. If that doesn't fix it, Perhaps the rear hub need a little work. At least its rideable in the meantime, just loud.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hey,
    Check out your limit screw on your rear derailuer. Is it an XT? That is what caused the noise on mine. I still hear it when in the smallest chain ring and on or near the granny gear.

Chris

Veni Vidi Vici
    if your using a shimano rear der, chances are it is hitting the chainstay... try putting some rubber to avoid it.