Thread: new el guapos?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

new el guapos?

Any word on when the new EGs will be available??

mtbr member
    I was told early May a few months back, being that we have pictures of finished frames at the factory it cant be long now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Any thoughts on running the new EG with an adjustable travel fork like the Marzocchi 55 CR Switch TA (170mm/130mm)? Brant mentioned in another posting that updated geo with a HA of 67 deg at 555mm. The Marz has a 556mm fork length. Is 170mm too much? How will the bike handle at 130mm? I do lots of climbing on the SoCal trails and I am used to having an adjustable fork. I'm 5'11" and currently on a medium Motolite. I feel a bit cramped when I drop the seat for descents but, otherwise it's a good fit. Would it be better to go with a large EG?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    I was told early May a few months back, being that we have pictures of finished frames at the factory it cant be long now.
    Waiting for a ship date confirmation from the factory.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

I think you are a large

Quote Originally Posted by FatTigerSonny View Post
    Any thoughts on running the new EG with an adjustable travel fork like the Marzocchi 55 CR Switch TA (170mm/130mm)? Brant mentioned in another posting that updated geo with a HA of 67 deg at 555mm. The Marz has a 556mm fork length. Is 170mm too much? How will the bike handle at 130mm? I do lots of climbing on the SoCal trails and I am used to having an adjustable fork. I'm 5'11" and currently on a medium Motolite. I feel a bit cramped when I drop the seat for descents but, otherwise it's a good fit. Would it be better to go with a large EG?
    I'm 6 ft and fit on a large with a 70 mm stem. Get a 60mm stem and you will be golden. I know of a lot of guys running 170mm forks on the current frame (even 180mm) so I dont think it will be a problem on the new frame. I'm not a fan of travel adjust forks, the EG doesnt need it, it doesnt wander like the ML did. Get yourself a fixed travel fork and have one less thing to worry about.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" on a large with a 60 mm stem and it's feels great!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Shiggy, spill the beans already on the geometry of this new version.

I've seen/heard that travel dropped to 150mm rear with a 68 deg HTA with a 150mm fork and 67 HTA with a 160. I also heard that the BB was raised a bit. Any chance the frame dropped a bit of weight too?

Can you confirm or correct any of this info? I'm in the market for a new all rounder but have been waiting to see the new EG before making any decisions.

Thanks-

mtbr member
    Mnigro,
    Look at this thread, it might answer some of your questions. The frame is already one of the lightest 6" frames out there, right at 7 lbs for a large.
    El Guapo Mk3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    Shiggy, spill the beans already on the geometry of this new version.

I've seen/heard that travel dropped to 150mm rear with a 68 deg HTA with a 150mm fork and 67 HTA with a 160. I also heard that the BB was raised a bit. Any chance the frame dropped a bit of weight too?

Can you confirm or correct any of this info? I'm in the market for a new all rounder but have been waiting to see the new EG before making any decisions.

Thanks-
    Travel is the same as it always was. No change to rear suspension configuration. My drawings say 149.8mm. Titus have always said 155mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks, Brant. Craig, I'll have a look at that thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks craigstr and jdcatnau for the suggestions!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hmm. I was a medium all the way but now with another 1/2 inch on the ETT I am inbetween...