Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

New El Guapo...there are revision 2 and revision 3 frames. A few questions

I figured this is the best place to ask the question. I just ordered an El Guapo frame from ON-ONE UK and fear I made a mistake.

The frame I ordered was the less expensive V2 frame. There is a newer V3 frame with a few geometry tweaks. Both have the RT3 rear shock.

I secretly wanted the V3 because of the slightly more slack head angle (67 instead of 68). I saved about $250 buying the old frame, and I am thinking of putting in a slackset (mixed taper 1 or 1.5 degrees) to slacken things out a bit. This will also drop the BB a bit (like the V3).

Does this seem like a decent plan? The v2 frame is still a 2012 or 2013 frame correct...because it has the mixed taper headtube and cable routing fixes?

This is all slightly confusing and when I was ordering I didn't even know the V3 existed. I reckon that with a slackset all is well?
    X-prezo Super-D, 26in style.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey View Post
    I figured this is the best place to ask the question. I just ordered an El Guapo frame from ON-ONE UK and fear I made a mistake.

The frame I ordered was the less expensive V2 frame. There is a newer V3 frame with a few geometry tweaks. Both have the RT3 rear shock.

I secretly wanted the V3 because of the slightly more slack head angle (67 instead of 68). I saved about $250 buying the old frame, and I am thinking of putting in a slackset (mixed taper 1 or 1.5 degrees) to slacken things out a bit. This will also drop the BB a bit (like the V3).

Does this seem like a decent plan? The v2 frame is still a 2012 or 2013 frame correct...because it has the mixed taper headtube and cable routing fixes?

This is all slightly confusing and when I was ordering I didn't even know the V3 existed. I reckon that with a slackset all is well?
    I thought the v2 frame was the first EG post-On-One purchase. I think this requires the smoothie mixture headset and lost the cable guide on the head tube.

v3 has fixed the headset issue and has slightly altered geometry.

mtbr member
    V2 was a revision by On-One, V3 was a further revision.

V3 has longer TT (10mm longer) and a touch lower BB for a given fork length. Head angle is a touch slacker.

V2 with a Slackset is a BRILLIANT bike :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post

V3 has longer TT (10mm longer) and a touch lower BB for a given fork length. Head angle is a touch slacker.

Thanks brant! I just wanted someone else to see my plan and not think I am crazy.

One more question...is the V2 and 2012 frame, and the V3 a 2013 frame? V2 a 2011, V3 2012? Does it matter?

Just want to make sure I have all the details before I go bragging about my sweet new ride.

mtbr member

So brant, is this the latest version? Titus El Guapo Frame And Monarch Shock

It should be because they offer the new colors...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by George Gr View Post
    So brant, is this the latest version? Titus El Guapo Frame And Monarch Shock

It should be because they offer the new colors...
    Yes

mtbr member
    Yes
    Nice! Going for the Super Raw!
    Another question please... Is a 180mm fork too much? I was looking for a two step (180-135 or 180-150) rather than a 170mm.

Edit: Well now that I read my post again I think that 180 is too much...
    Last edited by George Gr; 07-10-2012 at 03:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

I have an issue with the V2 that just arrived today. I bought the On-One slackset and the headtube reaming isn't deep enough for it to fit. This completely blows my plans as I also bought a 150mm fork to put on it - I don't need a Lyrik anymore. I'd be OK moving to the mixer headset but not with a 150mm fork because it'll have a steeper HTA than desired.

Brant, Is this a known issue and is there a fix for this?

Thanks,

Mike

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Bad news Mike. I am majorly fearing this will happen to me as well. I will report in when my frame arrives.

Is this the headset you ordered?

On-One Slackset Headset By Works Components

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro View Post
    I have an issue with the V2 that just arrived today. I bought the On-One slackset and the headtube reaming isn't deep enough for it to fit. This completely blows my plans as I also bought a 150mm fork to put on it - I don't need a Lyrik anymore. I'd be OK moving to the mixer headset but not with a 150mm fork because it'll have a steeper HTA than desired.

Brant, Is this a known issue and is there a fix for this?

Thanks,

Mike
    Just need to have the top of the head tube reamed deeper.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Just need to have the top of the head tube reamed deeper.
    Can anyone confirm that the MKII and this headset will work together without reaming?

Can anyone confirm that the MKII and this headset will work together without reaming?

The MK2 head tube needs to be reamed to fit the Slackset.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    This is incredibly unfortunate and makes me depressed I bought a MKII yet again. Really wish the website was less confusing.

Now I have to find someone to ream this headset out, or get drunk and take a dremel tool to it to lower the lip a bit?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Shiggy...I just read a thread about the shallow counterbore, and that
    OK. Message heard. All El Guapos will have the head tube reamed before they are shipped.
    It was posted on 3/2012. How can I order a frame 4 months later and this issue still be going on?

Is it confirmed that this frame will not have the deeper headtube ream?

Shiggy...I just read a thread about the shallow counterbore, and that

It was posted on 3/2012. How can I order a frame 4 months later and this issue still be going on?

Is it confirmed that this frame will not have the deeper headtube ream?
    MK2 EGs shipped from Portland are reamed.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    any chance the UK folks got the memo?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    confirmed that the EG I received from the UK/On-One does NOT have the head tube reamed.It wouldn't be more than a small PITA if I could find a shop with a 44mm reamer. I have called 15 of the most reputable bike shops in the ATL area and no one has this tool. The biggest reason is that 44mm ID head tubes are fairly new.

So, I will say that I am a MotoLite owner. Had one since before Titus changed hands and I love that bike. It is one of the biggest reasons that I sold the Nomad I had and moved to the EG. But, this throws a HUGE wrench in my build plans. I have a vacation week and was planning on riding this new beast... guess it'll have to wait until I figure out how to resolve this issue. I will say that my frame doesn't even have a 10mm bore depth on the top of the HT. I couldn't see any headset fitting in there. I'm still a loyal Titus owner. Just wish that On-One took care of this issue back at their warehouse like Titus did. I'd have spent the extra $$ on the 2013. As it stands, I already drove to an LBS that "thought" they could help me at a cost of $20 in gas... once finished, I can see this will end up costing me an extra $100 if I can even find a shop that can do it.

Shiggy, any ideas of who the best shops in the southeast are? This added delay is killing me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    yobaily, i just looked at on-one's site. the frame you ordered should be the 2013 version. they only have orange in sock and have probably reduced it to spur purchases as a lot of people are probably waiting on other colors. anyway, they sold out of the 2012 a few weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Man o man. Don't know what else to say. But man, I feel for you guys.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The MK2 head tube needs to be reamed to fit the Slackset.
    Shiggy, you have got to be fricken kidding us. After all the mud I dragged you through regarding the shallow ream [ MANUFACTURING DEFECT] and your promise to rectify the situation, you guys still manage to pass the buck to your buyers?
    Do you not get it? The customer service thing?
    I am almost speechless. You guys are pathetic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    it's not even so much a money/hassle issue for me... which it is, mind you... but it is like having a brand new Porsche (insert car of choice) in the garage & keys in hand but the car is sitting on blocks w/o wheels. my vacation starts on Sat and I'll be lucky to be rolling by the end of it.

mtbr member
    I will say that my frame doesn't even have a 10mm bore depth on the top of the HT. I couldn't see any headset fitting in there.
    A Smoothie Mixer headset will fit in there just fine, and if it gets you out of a hole I will action one getting sent to you, free of charge.

mtbr member
    V3 frames (the ones that are on sale on On-One now) can fit the On-One slackset or a smoothie mixer headset without reaming?
    Are they reamed already?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by George Gr View Post
    V3 frames (the ones that are on sale on On-One now) can fit the On-One slackset or a smoothie mixer headset without reaming?
    Are they reamed already?
    V3 frames have a deeper factory ream depth as standard.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yobaily, i just looked at on-one's site. the frame you ordered should be the 2013 version. they only have orange in sock and have probably reduced it to spur purchases as a lot of people are probably waiting on other colors. anyway, they sold out of the 2012 a few weeks ago.
    I think I purchased the last MK2 model. Literally after I purchased, it switched to out of stock.

My receipt says "FRTITELGUV2-MED-OR", so I see a v2 in there.

Really wish I didn't tear apart my 3 year old Heckler for parts...I predict a massive delay in my riding.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast