Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New EG Damaged

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

New EG Damaged

Just received my new (Version2) EG from On-One UK. Minor paint chip on the upper head tube which is no big deal, but obvious flat spot is big deal. No real damage to the shipping box and there is also a scratch on the headtube, which makes me think this happend before shipping. I called Titus in the US, but they seemed to want One One UK to take care of it. Emailed the pics to them, but haven't heard back yet. Anyone have any experience dealing w/ Titus or On One w/ an issue like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New EG Damaged-imag0378.jpg  

New EG Damaged-imag0379.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks like it was dropped on end while in the box. You say the box wasn't damaged? Was there any marks on the inside where the frame contacted it?

Bummer but I'm sure some one will help out (titus/on-on/UPS). (good luck with UPS though)
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Box was in good shape and frame was packaged pretty well. Wondering if it's worth the hassle or if I should just tap it out.

U $ 4 O?
    Probably just the photo.. ream kind of looks like the lip where the cup would sit is larger on left side of the headtube

what's that rattle?
    If the internal diameter of the headtube is out of round due to the dent I would not attempt to press a headset until you talk to Titus. Tapping it out (and reaming/facing) may be a solution, but it could be a warranty voiding solution.

mtbr member
    And some of your mail went through clarksburg WV

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Good Eye! Parkersburg native in CO now as you can see from some of the other junk on my desk.

mtbr member
    Cool, right down the road from P-burg in Vienna here!

Let us know how titus treats you. I had a little ding in my top tube when my eg showed up but it was such a good deal I didn't say anyhting. But that was over two years ago, I think?

Outcast
    That's no big deal; Titus will suggest that you merely get the upper headset cup reamed [at your expense] and you'll be good to go!

Good luck with your dealings with them.

Edit: As a machinist, I can tell you PROFESSIONALLY that it's a bad idea to ream that as a remedy. Reamers are designed to follow a piloted ROUND hole, not an irregular shape. Applying a reamer may rsult in a bore that is not round. If Titus suggests that as a corrective action, let them take the risk, not you, at their expense, including shipping both ways.
    Last edited by Renegade; 06-11-2012 at 05:56 PM.

mtbr member
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

If you hate titus so much please sell your EG and go away. Sick of you being a negative nelly in every post you make.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

If you hate titus so much please sell your EG and go away. Sick of you being a negative nelly in every post you make.
    My first two lines are negatve yes, based on my personal experiences with the company. That may never change.
    My third paragragh is my recommendation based on my years of experience in my trade, and my observations of Titus customer service.
    I like my EG. That doen't mean I have to kiss up to the company's a s s. They need to do things right, IMO, I won't cut them slack because I like the frame.
    And lasly; this is the internet. I can say whatever the heck I want to. Not all of the world is a warm fuzzy place where everything is positive to support your belief systems. If you don't like that, then put me on your ignore list, and then you don't have to read my posts.

Ellsworth fanboys defended Tony E. right up to the very end, despite the low blows he delivered to his customers.
    Last edited by Renegade; 06-11-2012 at 08:25 PM.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I agree. Your negativity is tiresome. If I'm not mistaken, someone from the company put $20 in your pocket, correct? You certainly have the right to air your grievances. I think you've accomplished that goal. Why not give it a rest? Geez ...

Hell Track
    You should at least get some free schwag. I'm sure the frame wasn't cheap

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    The problem with your view Renegade is that Titus / On One have done right by you and you continue to berate them. How is it that even after having received reimbursement from Brant, and the issues you experienced have been resolved for 2012 models that you still hold that Titus is an unethical company?

Even at the most competitive price point you expect perfection. A problem with metallurgy or welding and tempering that leads to fracture, or premature service life and safety concerns qualifies as a defect. The head tube ream depth on the 2011 models was a design oversight that meant usage of a proprietary headset, an inconvenience for Titus customers that was reasonably handled then revised for the following year.

You may label those who find Titus's handling of this fair as fan boys, but really it just comes across as compensating for an unreasonably intolerant stance on your behalf over a relatively mild issue.

Perhaps Iím wrong, letís see how Titus deals with the OPíers misfortune. Please keep us apprised of your situation jdeem1977.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Must be a **** feeling getting a new frame with a dent! Anyway good luck!

ps. jdeem1977 I sent you a PM with a few questions.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post

You may label those who find Titus's handling of this fair as fan boys, but really it just comes across as compensating for an unreasonably intolerant stance on your behalf over a relatively mild issue.

Wouldn't rate the issue as critical but objectively I have to say hunting down a place with the proper tool to get it done is quite a hassle.

Lest it be mistaken this is another rant, I have been recommending the EG to friends since owning one and (now two) and reckon I have "sold" no less than 10 (no profit involved even if some of them needs my help to order for one reason or another).

I was hesitant to say go for it when some friends asked about this interim design and advised them its better to wait for the upcoming MKIII.

But to Titus/On-One credit-- its been promised to 2 friends who recently purchased that things will be taken care of before frames are shipped out. Will be helping to take delivery of one soon and will update if everything is well and good.

For the OP-- I think your problem would be noted. Sometimes it takes a couple of days for email replies in my experiences with On One UK..

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Still haven't heard from On One UK, but Titus in Portland said I could send them the frame and have a new one sent from the UK or I could fix it myself w/ no possibility of voiding the warranty. I tapped it out w/ a punch and rubber mallet this afternoon because I don't want to wait another 3 weeks for a new frame. Only took about 4-5 taps as the bend was pretty minor. Headset went in smooth and even. It did put a few 1/4 inch cracks in the paint, but everthing else is good to go. I wil be sure to save the email from Titus though in case the headtube blows apart!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Liternit - I think it took about 12 days incl. weekends and no taxes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    jdeem how long did it take for the frame to be delivered from the UK? Did you pay any taxes?

thanks

ps. tried to PM but I donīt have enough msgs

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    Wouldn't rate the issue as critical but objectively I have to say hunting down a place with the proper tool to get it done is quite a hassle.
    Yes, I agree. The only point I was illustrating is that In general I do not feel this problem and Titusís handling of it mark them as an unethical, predatory company as some of Renegades remarks, both past and present, would suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    But to Titus/On-One credit-- its been promised to 2 friends who recently purchased that things will be taken care of before frames are shipped out. Will be helping to take delivery of one soon and will update if everything is well and good.
    A follow up would be appreciated.

Outcast
    Yes, I agree. The only point I was illustrating is that In general I do not feel this problem and Titusís handling of it mark them as an unethical, predatory company as some of Renegades remarks, both past and present, would suggest.

Jon, how about we let history, and statistics, prove the pedigree of Titus' customer service? In my opinion, they still have something to prove.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    Jon, how about we let history, and statistics, prove the pedigree of Titus' customer service? In my opinion, they still have something to prove.
    That is fair and reasonable, but you have been extremely vocal concerning your frustrations with Titus and I find your view on this particular matter skewed towards guilty until proven innocent.

If I start seeing reports of folks getting burned I'll be right there with you, but so far I see evidence of corrective actions. They revised the new models, you have been reimbursed, jdeem1977 has reported that Titus was willing to furnish a replacement frame, and when anvil_den provides a follow up concerning the state of 2011 model headtubes being shipped we will know if they kept their word about no more shallow reams for customers to deal with.

I just think it is premature at this point to post statements that would ward off potential EG owners as the only effect would be steering poeple away from owning a great bike at an excellent price.

mtbr member

Update...

As requested..
    Headtube reamed depth no issue and since it doesnt seem to be done twice--could this be an MKIII? But I cant really tell those 1 degree differences or 10mm longer tt from just frame alone...

nuthin else much to note cept the usual place where paint work dink would occur (bottom protrusion of iscg tab) did got nicked a little. No biggie.

mtbr member
    That's a Mk3.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    That's a Mk3.
    thx for the confirmation

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast