mtbr member
    Jul 2007

New 2009 Titus X - Issue With Build

I recently purchased a new 2009 Titus X frame and have been spending the past week and a half building it up. I ran into some surprises during the build. The first issue was with the frame prep, I did not realize high end frames are sold unprepared for the bottom bracket and head tube. Luckily for me I had purchased some Park frame prep tools over the last couple of years for good prices from Ebay. After I prepared the frame I started the build, everything went pretty smooth until I got to adjusting the rear derailleur. When I am in the big ring in the front I cannot get past the third largest gear in the back. The rear derailleur cage hits the second largest gear and the derailleur gets jammed. I adjusted the B-screw and nothing changed. The rear derailleur is a Shimano XT M772 shadow derailleur. I read on another post about the Sram X0 derailleur having the same issue of not being able to get to the 34 tooth gear on the rear. Please help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Is it a medium or long cage derailleur? Can't imagine how it would relate to the frame.
    I thought all the newer frames came prepped, I built up a 2007 with no problems.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'll help out if I can. I've built dozens of those with the same derailleur and no problems. Pictures would help.

Not all pain is gain...
    I had the same issue with my Rockstar but I was using a medium cage X0 rear der. and an XTR 11-34 cassette. I changed out the rear der for an X0 long cage, added a link to the chain and put the B-adjust screw all the way in and I can now use the entire gear range. But now I'm running a longer chain than I'd care to. More links than come standard when you buy a new chain....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Here are the pics of my situation:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New 2009 Titus X - Issue With Build-img00033-20101213-1256.jpg  

New 2009 Titus X - Issue With Build-img00034-20101213-1256.jpg  

New 2009 Titus X - Issue With Build-img00035-20101213-1256.jpg  

New 2009 Titus X - Issue With Build-img00036-20101213-1257.jpg  

High Alpine Adventure
    Is the chain too short? Don't think it should do that.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm thinking the chain might be short as well after taking a closer look of the pictures when uploading. I thought I sized it properly - big chain ring front and large rear cog + 1 link over for master link.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The problem is the way you have tightened the rear dearilleur. Loosen the bolt attaching the mech to the hanger, rotate the mech around towards the horst link and retighten. I think you probably have the first gen hanger, they made the hanger to cure the problem of mech slap on the horst link but Shimano at the same time made their mechs do the job so now there can be overkill and this issue is accelerated with the use of a 34tooth cassette.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by CanuckRider
    I'm thinking the chain might be short as well after taking a closer look of the pictures when uploading. I thought I sized it properly - big chain ring front and large rear cog + 1 link over for master link.
    The cable housing is way too short, too.

Normal chain length guideline is big-big + 2 links (one link has two pins).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I usually do the opposite, little little, and through the derailleur, with just enough out of it so that the chain doesn't rub on the derailleur cage.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by wvucyclist
    I usually do the opposite, little little, and through the derailleur, with just enough out of it so that the chain doesn't rub on the derailleur cage.
    That gives you no garranty you can even use the big ring and larger cogs, and you risk ripping the RD off when you try.

I have had setups where the chain hangs slack in the small-small combo. Gears you never use anyway.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You're right, it only works for me because I use a relatively tight range (11-28 or 11-32 with a 22/32/42).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Chain was too small by 1 link. Thanks for everyone's help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    you need to remove the shock and make sure the chain is long enough at full travel as well....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Just a quick note as well, you have the older style mech hanger on the bike there was a modified one due to shifting issues with the XT shadow mechs. The modified one has a little dog leg in it to increase the chain wrap around the cassette and dramatically improves the shifting quality, not sure who will have them in stock in the states we have a few left in the U.K (we are the old distributor :-( )

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hey gang I have a Titus X carbon 2009 and am having the same problem. The chain is long enough, the cable is long enough. I however may have the old hanger on the bike. Can anyone tell me who makes the upgraded hanger? I'm running a Sram xo medium cage, does this bike require a long cage? Any help would be great thanks tozz out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by titusukandy
    Just a quick note as well, you have the older style mech hanger on the bike there was a modified one due to shifting issues with the XT shadow mechs. The modified one has a little dog leg in it.....
    is that the one that places the derailleur further forward? i've got one of those on my '09 X and it is impossible to get the wheel out without completely unthreading the skewer. my friend has the same problem. not that i get a lot of flats, but it seems like a pretty stupid design. on any other bike, i've never had to unthread the "QR" to get a wheel out. I'm surprised that this (design) issue is not mentioned more often on here.

i've seen a lot of hangers on here (including the one in this thread) that don't seem to have the "dog leg", and have been thinking about replacing mine, so i don't have the wheel-removal issues - but if the shifting suffers, i might have second thoughts. what kind of shifting issues are we talking about? (btw, I use SRAM, and usually run chains long enough)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The shifting issues are the chain does not rap around the cassette enough, so what you get under power is the chain jumps over the cassette. It's more noticeable in wet conditions. The second issue is the rear derailluer and the cassette make contact while in first and second gear. So that's why I'm trying to find out about this hanger upgrade and if I should be running a long cage.

mtbr member
    You should run the bike over with your Nissan

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2
    is that the one that places the derailleur further forward? i've got one of those on my '09 X and it is impossible to get the wheel out without completely unthreading the skewer. my friend has the same problem. not that i get a lot of flats, but it seems like a pretty stupid design. on any other bike, i've never had to unthread the "QR" to get a wheel out. I'm surprised that this (design) issue is not mentioned more often on here.

i've seen a lot of hangers on here (including the one in this thread) that don't seem to have the "dog leg", and have been thinking about replacing mine, so i don't have the wheel-removal issues - but if the shifting suffers, i might have second thoughts. what kind of shifting issues are we talking about? (btw, I use SRAM, and usually run chains long enough)
    I had the same problem with the "dogleg" design. It was ridiculous to unscrew the skewer completely each time I wanted to take the wheel off. I understand that Trek is that way, but it was designed to unscrew every time, unlike the Titus X (which was basically a design flaw).

I contacted Titus about the problem and was told the dogleg design was second generation light rail. The one pictured above is a first generation that had the chainwrap problem.

There is a third generation light rail which is a one piece carbon stay (not pieced together with glue). Titus sent me one after some long discussions. It worked well even though it looked super weak.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah
    ....I contacted Titus about the problem and was told the dogleg design was second generation light rail. The one pictured above is a first generation that had the chainwrap problem.

There is a third generation light rail which is a one piece carbon stay (not pieced together with glue). Titus sent me one after some long discussions. It worked well even though it looked super weak.
    So, given that my frame came with the dogleg hanger, would this indicate that I have a 2nd generation seatstay (yes?). That is re-assuring, after reading a few threads on here about the early light rail seatstays being a bit weak (breaking down near the drop outs). according to those threads the 2nd generation seat stays were not visually different to the early ones - must've had internally thicker carbon down near the dropouts.

So, what's this 3rd generation light rail? Does it look any different? Does it still have the aluminum dropouts? What do you mean by "one piece carbon stay (not pieced together with glue)". As far as I know, all the light rail seatstays were "one piece" (but with aluminum dropouts). Got any photos?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2
    So, what's this 3rd generation light rail? Does it look any different? Does it still have the aluminum dropouts? What do you mean by "one piece carbon stay (not pieced together with glue)". As far as I know, all the light rail seatstays were "one piece" (but with aluminum dropouts). Got any photos?
    The stay sent to me by Titus was all one piece carbon with no aluminum dropouts. I do not have photos. To be honest, the whole light rail and tiny aluminum tubes on the X just looked to wimpy. So after a long ordeal, I sent the frame back (including the newest light rail).

The Cheater
    The hanger is the problem. I built 2 2009 X's and all had the same problem. Ruined my X-0 RD too... the solution is touchy and requires careful adjustment but it's not perfect. Went to 3 different veteran mechanics with same result. Replaced chains twice. So I'm afraid of using it for true offroad and it's been a road biased bike since I built it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tozz43
    The shifting issues are the chain does not rap around the cassette enough, so what you get under power is the chain jumps over the cassette. It's more noticeable in wet conditions. The second issue is the rear derailluer and the cassette make contact while in first and second gear. So that's why I'm trying to find out about this hanger upgrade and if I should be running a long cage.
    I don't know if you can "upgrade" the hanger. You might need a new stay that accepts the "upgrade" hanger. I'm surprised the moderator has not chimed-in on this one.