mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Need sizing help. L or XL X?

Hey guys. I'm getting the biking fever and the 19", short top-tubed Rocky Mountain ETSX 70 is too small now. I also just want something a little newer.I'm about 6'2.5" and I'm trying to decide if a large or extra large X would be best for me. My pants (Banana Republic khakis) inseam is 34" and my dress shirt sleeve length is 34.5". I know that the top tube of the XL works for me because it's 24.6" but the seat tube of 23.5 might look goofy with only 4 inches of post showing. The large on the other hand has a seat tube of 21.25 and an effective top tube of 24". Should I go for the large and just get a slightly longer stem?? I want a good balance of climbing and speed stability performance. Thanks in advance.

Oh yeah. And one question on the X. Is it worth it to get the new frame? Could it have quirks because it's the first year of the new X? Would a Racer X or even an RX-1 be close enough in performance to be worth saving the cash? Thanks

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

pants

Trumbull looks like a great place to ride (BIKE July 09).

I would lean toward large just for the proper seatpost exposed. What is your actual inseam to ground (not pants size)? Better yet, the crank bolt to saddle rail distance on your RM.

Longer stem makes for good climbing usually by keeping the front end down with your weight. 10mm more stem length will make up most of the top tube difference. Add a setback post if you need more.

So far the X's I have weighed are a half pound lighter than the Racer X and more than that with the RX1.

And if you are able to get the crank it up build kit, you'll have a sweet looking bike. I think they are running short of these though.
    I plan to build one on Monday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the reply. My true inseam is 37 inches. I'm leaning towards the large as well. I'm a pretty lanky 175lbs by the way if that matters in determining the size. Thinking of picking up this frame in a large. It comes with the King headset which makes it an even better deal. Should I pull the trigger??

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Frame+09.aspx

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Color choices

Quote Originally Posted by Henman5000
    Thanks for the reply. My true inseam is 37 inches. I'm leaning towards the large as well. I'm a pretty lanky 175lbs by the way if that matters in determining the size. Thinking of picking up this frame in a large. It comes with the King headset which makes it an even better deal. Should I pull the trigger??

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Frame+09.aspx
    If that color combo appeals to you, it's pretty good. Not a big green on white fan myself. Or the graphics. I much prefer the normal Titus logo on ano.

There are other painted and anodized colors that are more popular on the Racer X. Plus, if you want a full build kit to go with the frame, there's about to be a special deal on full Racer X (carbon seatstays, etc) that will be starting next week. $2595 complete, and some ano finishes.

If you were going to cannibalize your old bike, you might consider the Titus build kit so you could pick and choose your parts and have two working bikes.
    PM me if you have questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images