mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Need racer x seat stay!!!

I broke my seatsay on my '08 Racer X. It is the Carbon and Aluminum seat stay. Anyone got an extra or know where I can look?

Matt

Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    The new Titus crew (The Empire Strikes Back) is hard at work relocating to a new space in Oregon.
    They should be able to sort you out soon.
    info@titusti.com
    http://titus-bikes.myshopify.com/pages/contact-us

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Wow, you broke a 2008 Racer-X Seat Stay? How did you do it? Can we see some pictures just to see how and where they broke? Sharing damage pictures is important because it helps the engineers design better seat stays and lets riders know where to inspect for cracks and damage. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel View Post
    Wow, you broke a 2008 Racer-X Seat Stay? How did you do it? Can we see some pictures just to see how and where they broke? Sharing damage pictures is important because it helps the engineers design better seat stays and lets riders know where to inspect for cracks and damage. Thanks!
    You seem surprised. All the carbon seat stays from Titus are a bit fragile. Hopefully the new crew can get a solution to it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The 2009 seat stays were the fragile ones due to bad design and manufactering. This is actually the first I heard of a 2008 Racer-X seat stay being broken.

BikerBob have you seen many broken 2008 Racer X seat stays?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thepest View Post
    You seem surprised. All the carbon seat stays from Titus are a bit fragile. Hopefully the new crew can get a solution to it.
    Not true, only the "Light Rail" stays have been problematic. The carbon stays used on the Motolite (same as used on the Racer X) have been bomb-proof.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    It actually broke due to a wreck. Last spring the front end snapped out from underneath me doing about 25 on a descent, I hit hard on my right arm/ribs, the bike hit on the derailleur. It hit so hard it actually crushed a knuckle in the derailleur and was not repairable. The drive side dropout was also bent, basically screwing the shiofting. To remedy this, I passed it on to my wife thinking that she produces less watts and is lighter, it would last long enough until the reproduction parts start to arrive. I bought a derailleur hanger alignment tool and was actually bending my hangers to make the bike shift. Worked great until the carbon failed. The dropout lug basically was forced up the tube. The tube split apart at the four corners. I ordered a roll of carbonfiber tape and epoxy this week, and will be repairing/reinforcing the damaged tube. I have a composite engineer to help, and I have done a lot of repair work on composites, so I feel this is the best option at this point. I tried some of the bicycle repair places and got estimates between $300 and $600, all for a part that probably doesn't cost that much. If for some reason this fails, I am just going to have a friend replace the carbon tube with an aluminum tube and tig the thing together, unless Titus gets there asses in gear and actually produces/imports the part I need, the one they told me they would have about 2 months ago... I understand the whole bankruptcy deal is pretty rough on trying to restart the company, but I also find it ludicrous that there were 0 extras on hand at the time it closed its doors. I am sure I am not the only one to break one of these things.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

titus racer x ti, al, carbon seat stay

Just got a carbon seat stay for my racer x ti. It didn't work as a replacement for my aluminum one so they are sending me an aluminum one. Looks like the on one thing is in gear. Great service. Price wasn't bad either.
    Titus racer X ti