mtbr member

Need help with main pivot bolt stripped out

So, I have a 2007 Aluminum Motolite, & I bought one of the colored aluminum kits (derailleur hangar, rocker bolts, seatclamp, & main pivot bolt) from Titus a few years back. I'm getting a little bit of side-to-side play in the main pivot (I can grab the chainstays and pull it back & forth a little bit with a clunking noise). I went to pull the bolt, but it's seized & I rounded out the 8mm allen hole, as the bolt's aluminum (bad idea). Question is do I just leave it and live with it (have for a few months now), or do you all think a shop can drill it out? The play's not getting worse, but is a little unnerving at times, and i'd like to replace the bearings sometime in the future, along with the original steel bolt which I still have. Thoughts?
    Hey, I didn't see that rock there."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by millsm View Post
    Thoughts?
    If you're intent on trying to remove the bolt, find a Torx bit big enough to hammer into the rounded-out Allen head of the bolt, you want the 6 lobes on the Torx to actually cut into the Allen head where the 6 corners used to be, so make sure the Torx bit is big enough before swinging a hammer on it! Use a cheater bar to get some torque on it and see if it will loosen off. You can't really screw it up any more by trying that...

I had to do this once or twice on aluminium and steel bolts and it's worked for me, YMMV
    also known as Plaid Shirt Guy...

mtbr member
    Thanks, but I wonder if that would work. When I initially tried to pull the bolt with the allen wrench, it fit in there perfect (no play), but still managed to round out. I guess it's worth a try - thanks for the tip!

mtbr member
    There might be just too much LocTite on the threads. Sounds like an up-hill battle for sure, good luck!
    also known as Plaid Shirt Guy...

mtbr member
    No Loctite - I just greased the threads real good before I installed it.