mtbr member
    Mar 2006

My new FTM Carbon build.....

Just waiting for the headset to arrive so I can ride it (the suspense is killing me).

Total build weight is far higher than I'd hoped (I can't remember the frame weight but it was quite a bit heavier than quoted). Will come in at 13kgs even. However, there is a lot or room for weight reduction if I care enough to pursue it. Could drop half a kilo easily. Don't care really - it's supposed to be a burly-ish build. This will be my primary AM race bike except or tracks / races where my Tracer will be used.

Very happy with the finish of the bike. Was a little dubious as my 465 carbon looks like it's been clear coated by a 4 year old with a spray can. This is immaculate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My new FTM Carbon build.....-photo-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Wow, that looks really good! I just purchased a V3 EG and now I'm having some doubts about my purchase How about a component list.

mtbr member
    Nice. Is this the FTM from On-one.uk

Your top tube has got a sloping design totally different from what they advertise.

Titus FTM Carbon Frame And Monarch Shock
    2010 Giant Reign0

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Gravityfreaky the weight for frame is 5.2 lbs. I don't think the ftm was designed to be an all mountain bike. I would not ride mine like that.

mtbr member
    Nice. Is this the FTM from On-one.uk

Your top tube has got a sloping design totally different from what they advertise.

Titus FTM Carbon Frame And Monarch Shock

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DSA1 View Post
    Gravityfreaky the weight for frame is 5.2 lbs. I don't think the ftm was designed to be an all mountain bike. I would not ride mine like that.
    That's the published weight but mine weIghed more (cant remember exact weight ). Regarding use, I've not read of a single broken frame other than the initial batch of broken seat stays. 5.2lbs is petty std for a carbon AM frame a should be plenty strong enough. I'm a fairly smooth rider anyway and only use this bike for smoother tracks.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Mine is a med and the frame was exactly 5.2lbs. Yours looks like a large so it probably weighs more. I have done some 4ft drops but I wouldn't do a lot of that. I think I was designed to be a trail bike not all mountain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DSA1 View Post
    Mine is a med and the frame was exactly 5.2lbs. Yours looks like a large so it probably weighs more. I have done some 4ft drops but I wouldn't do a lot of that. I think I was designed to be a trail bike not all mountain.
    That's true - it was designed as a trail bike. But then what is 'trail riding?' I know many riders who ride trail as hard and fast as others ride downhill. Trail and All Mountain are more marketing terms to describe a category of bike rather than a category of riding (because really, where does trail end and AM begin and where does AM end and FR/DH begin? It's a blurred line at best). I guess it's a case of common sense prevailing. I don't do any drops to flat bigger than a few feet. Drops to transition can be massive and yet put relatively little stress on the frame if you know how to stick the landing properly.

mtbr member
    Looks really nice. I'm looking at getting an FTM as I think the EG will be overkill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    nice! does this have the new EG problem regarding a super low (sub 13") bb height and pedal strike prone?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    this is only 636g lighter than EG then. comparing mine with weight above, both medium. surprising.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DexTan View Post
    nice! does this have the new EG problem regarding a super low (sub 13") bb height and pedal strike prone?
    With a 150mm /530 a/c fork as pictured the bb height is 13.5 which is perfect. With 170 cranks I dont get many pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yea but my build is heavy. Fork alone is 1850gms, stem is 220 and tyres are 800 and 880 respectively. I could easily shave off another 500+ grams with minimal effort but this bike was built using parts I had lying around. If you have a revelation rlt ti you'd save 200gms right there (mines a heavy uturn version) etc

mtbr member
    May 2008
    was that aimed at me? yeah, your FTM weighs similar in total to my EG, but that's not what i was getting at. I was surprised the FTM carbon frame is only 600g lighter than the EG! i'd love to try the FTM and see how it compares to ride it looks great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiff View Post
    was that aimed at me? yeah, your FTM weighs similar in total to my EG, but that's not what i was getting at. I was surprised the FTM carbon frame is only 600g lighter than the EG! i'd love to try the FTM and see how it compares to ride it looks great.
    It was in response to you (not aimed at you as that sounds like I was having a go at you!). A 500 - 600 gram difference seems to be pretty standard in terms of the difference between an alloy and carbon frame from the same company. Looking at the Intense Carbine and the Intense Tracer VP (not Tracer 2 which is different entirely) and the difference in weight is about 600 grams too. I think the SB66 and SB66c is the same from memory. I guess that once you've spent a reasonable amount of money and effort in getting your bike as light as possible - shedding 600gms becomes a huge deal (for some people). I agree though - the EG is a really light bike for what it is capable of. My mates EG is 13.5kgs built with pretty tough stuff. If I had to have only one bike - the EG would be it as the FTM gets out of its depth when the going gets really fast / gnarly.