mtbr member

My Motolite thanks Forum 29

I bought my '07 ML new in February of '08. It continues to be a great ride, one that has endured a lot of abuse and helped me become a better rider.

I'm confident my experience would not have been so positive without the helpful information and guidance provided in this forum. It's great to be part of an extended community of riders.

Here are few things I've taken away from this forum and others that have made a real impact on my ML.

• Buy an adjustable seatpost. It doesn't matter what make or model (provided it's 27.2), it will improve handling, inspire confidence, and eventually make itself indispensable.
    • Use wider bars and a shorter stem. Both provide more confidence and slow down the front end a bit.
    • Cable routing and cable length is key. Many have reported ghost shifting and I'm no stranger to that. I finally moved to full cable housing on the rear, routed through a plastic ferrule I found in my toolbox. There are some really nice posts with more elegant solutions, but this seems to solve the problem with pieces parts I already had. Eventually I'd like to drill out the cable stops, but for now the zip ties seem to work fine.
    • Saar's (Turner forum) custom angle headset for the ML is an amazing addition. It slackened the front end by 1 degree, lowered the BB, made the wheelbase slightly longer. The result is real difference on the descents, and so far little impact on climbability.

I'm looking forward to seeing what On One does with future iterations of the ML, but until then I'm still digging a great bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Motolite thanks Forum 29-dsc00421.jpg  

My Motolite thanks Forum 29-dsc00422.jpg  

My Motolite thanks Forum 29-dsc00424.jpg  

The Cheater
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeer
    [*]Buy an adjustable seatpost. It doesn't matter what make or model (provided it's 27.2), it will improve handling, inspire confidence, and eventually make itself indispensable.[*]Use wider bars and a shorter stem. Both provide more confidence and slow down the front end a bit.
    [
    Adjustable seatpost is too heavy. I'd rather do a simple opening of the quick release clamp to adjust the seatpost on the trail. Wide bars are useful for descending but not during high fast speed on road. Stem length depends what is balanced for your uphill and descend.
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg

mtbr member
    I keep thinking about the adjustable seat but have yet to pull the trigger. The weight, along with another thing on the bars has put me off.

I agree 100% on the stem/bars. I went wide, really wide on my MLII. 745mm to be exact but it makes everything better.

Saars headset mod seems to be the perfect ticket. If I was to remake the ML, I would have slackened the head angle by a degree and steepened the seat angle by a degree (or 2!) and dropped the bottom bracket to at least 13.5. That seems to be exactly what the Saars modification does.

Great update on your ML. People should post their updated ML pics as well. Here is mine:

Dozer

Very happy camper

Great thread. Absolutely love mine. I have gotten TONS of great ideas/advice/knowledge from this forum. Thanks to all!

Here it is as it's currently set up -- also in a rare moment when it's CLEAN!

28.2 lbs as pictured. It's amazing the difference in climbing with a light wheel/tire combo. The bike has dropped almost 5 lbs since last season, and most of that was wheels and tires. Next upgrades are new crank (XT or RaceFace Dues?) and I've been considering an X-Fusion Hilo adjustable post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Motolite thanks Forum 29-ml-51011.jpg  

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Veda
    Adjustable seatpost is too heavy. I'd rather do a simple opening of the quick release clamp to adjust the seatpost on the trail.
    You can't do that while riding as in not stopping and lighter is not always better.

That said, I don't use one. To each his own I guess.

Wide bars are useful for descending but not during high fast speed on road.
    MTB's suck all over on high fast speed on road anyways. Knobbies have an obnoxious tendency not to like tarmac at speed.

Stem length depends what is balanced for your uphill and descend.
    His point was that a wider bar ALWAYS has to use a shorter stem precisely to keep balance as wider bars stretch your position over the bike some more....

But in principle, you're right. Length should be whatever maximizes your all around proficiency (if that's what you're after)... there is a lot of choices between 50mm and 90mm length.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    [QUOTE=Veda]Adjustable seatpost is too heavy. I'd rather do a simple opening of the quick release clamp to adjust the seatpost on the trail.

Sure if want to stop.Speed, ability and confidence on rocky tech decents improved dramatically. The benefitsts certainly out weigh the minor weight addition. Now that have one I will always have one.

Ultimated Outsider
    My Motolite thanks Forum 29-ml210.jpg

Here is mine, she not afraid of rocks, I really dig the Dyna-Sys 2x10.

I am also thinking about going with wider bar and shorter stem since I my riding style is more BMX than road bike.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sundowner
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ml210.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	613587

Here is mine, she not afraid of rocks, I really dig the Dyna-Sys 2x10.

I am also thinking about going with wider bar and shorter stem since I my riding style is more BMX than .

That is gorgeous. I really hope the titanium models come back - with the polished rear ends!

Ultimated Outsider
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    That is gorgeous. I really hope the titanium models come back - with the polished rear ends!
    Yeah, me to. The craftmanship of the aluminum rear end is just a beutifull as the Ti front. Only thing I would change would be for a way to get rid of the bridge in the seatstays that limit tire size and mud clearence without affecting the stiffnest of the rear end.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Ready for second season

I couldn't be any happier starting year two on my new (to me) ML. Picked up some I9s over the winter. Now if I were just as fast as they look...