Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

My latest Titus impressions

... are not good.

I'm not one to spend a lot of time complaining on the Internet. However, some things are just worth commenting on. Weeks ago, I was at the end of my rope with a new Pivot Mach 5.7 I bought and didn't like. I remember my El Guapo fondly as a fantastic rig here in Phoenix for our chunk.

Bounced around trying to find a L frame and couldn't do it. I called Titus in Portland and talked to Shiggy, who answered the phone. Maybe he was having a bad day, but I've never spoken to anyone who was less interested in getting a customer onto one of his company's frames. He wasn't rude, just disinterested. When told they had no frames or a definitive timetable for new ones, I asked about stock in the UK. He actually told me to go check the UK site's inventory on my own and buy from them if I wanted.

Wow. Thanks.

I bought a frame from a competitor.

Despite that, a couple weeks later my best riding bud was in the market for a medium frame after thoroughly destroying his older EG (not the fault of the bike). He was leaning toward a Firebird, but I actually talked him into an EG after reading here that the head tube reaming issue had been corrected. I knew he loved the EG, mediums were available and it appears to be a great value.

He ordered one from the UK site. The transaction wasn't seamless, and he received an e-mail from a PlanetX employee from a gmail account requesting he confirm his credit card info. Weird.

He eventually got someone on the phone to confirm payment and asked specifically if he needed to add anything frame-specific to his order to get the bike built up properly. He was told "no."

Two weeks ago, he received his new EG frame, goes to assemble with all his new parts and, boom, head tube isn't reamed properly. Now his build is stuck waiting for a Smoothie headset to be shipped from the UK to Arizona.

I really want this company to be successful, but this sort of thing does leave a poor impression.

mtbr member
    Well, I would not hold the conversation with shiggy as a condemnation of the new Titus. I really thing you could have similar conversations with different companies. Everyone can have a bad day.

On the other hand the head tube fiasco is a condemnation of the new titus. They should have reamed all the head tubes properly before shipping them out. Of course, if you complain loud enough, they will help you out and swear they have fixed the problem and all frames from now on will be reamed. That of course is not the case.

But that is the new Titus. Cheap and cheerful. I honestly loved my ML but I don't feel comfortable recommending any Titus current Titus model. The FTM is a joke and the head tube issue with the EG is just embarrassing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't think customer service should dwindle because someone might be having a bad day. If one of my customers is not happy with my or one of my teams performance it will be remedied as long as the customer lets me know about it.

It's all about the customers perception. You may think they are demanding and ridiculous but it's your job to TRY and meet their expectations.

Surely Titus has some sort of QC measures in place, right? Surely.
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

smoothie + cs

total bs

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I'm mostly bummed that I talked my friend into buying the frame based on input I received from Titus staff on this forum. I'm sure he'll be pleased with it when it's finally together. He's not even angry about the cost of the headset. He's upset that he specifically asked and was told he didn't need it and that's caused him weeks of down time.

My impression of the current incarnation of Titus is that the right hand (UK) has no ideas what the left hand (USA) is doing and vice versa.

Outcast
    I don't think Titus grasps the understanding of what customer service is, and how providing good customer service generates more sales. Turner is an excellent example of just that.
    I really like my el guapo. But that is not going to keep me from criticizing Titus.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Its sad because the brand had some great frames, I just bought a Racer X 26" from the UK only to find out they shipped me a 29" Frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    The FTM is a joke and the head tube issue with the EG is just embarrassing.
    Vespasianus not move off topic but with is the FTM a joke?

Ultimated Outsider
    Quote Originally Posted by Liternit View Post

Vespasianus not move off topic but with is the FTM a joke?
    The easy to snap craprail rear end would be the number one reason.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sundowner View Post
    The easy to snap craprail rear end would be the number one reason.
    What sundowner said. The rear is just way too fragile and snaps way to easily.

mtbr member

I'm not defending Titus

My role is basically a cheerleader, there is no financial gain for me, but I do get to test some stuff once in a while. Every company has issues and growing pains. Buying a company that is in trouble is probably more difficult then starting from scratch as you have all the old crap to deal with. I agree the headtubes should have all been reamed, I had to deal with the same problem. Look at Knolly, the first Chilcotins had issues with the chain hitting the seatstay/dropout in the smallest cog, Noel had to give everyone new stays. Now they have a problem with a linkage axle/bolt that is .070 too long and the fix is the customer has to file it down. Transition has the covert and bandit with the sleeve nut being too long on the front shock mount, are they sending out new ones? No, you have to fix it yourself. Every company has issues with products, its the nature of the beast. Give them a chance.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The Headset fiasco is just a minor setback for me, I am fortunate that my local bike shop is stocked with every kind of headset but considering how much I paid for the frame... Nothing is perfect in this world, you have to make some sort of a compromise once in a while.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Again, if you actually read the thread, you'll see my friend isn't bothered by the manufacturing issue. Crap happens; we all understand taht. What counts is how the company handles it. Seriously, how hard would it have been to simply tell him he needed a specialty headset, sell it to him and everyone's happy?

Anyway, I'm not much interested in restating my point over and again. This was my view of the interaction I had when trying to purchase a frame and my best friend's experience; both of us are current and/or former Titus owners. Take it for what it's worth. Good day.

mtbr member
    I don't work in the bike world (though I would love to). Recently, my firm acquired another. It was a massive exercise starting from HR, Engineering, Finance, Sales etc. We took 6 months, and we are still not done. Migration is a headache with existing and new customers etc. What the new entity is trying to do is still support the customer. We are still trying to get used to "Hey, why don't you guys have this over here. We did. etc"

Not saying you are asking too much btw. It could be down to plain "bad days" as you called it. But thought I would give a different perspective - merging another company is NOT trivial.....

Paper or plastic?
    Having met both, I'll just say that Jeff had a really friendly demeanor and was a delight to deal with.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    The headset bore depth is not a qc issue. It fits our Smoothie Mixer.
    Lack of experience, info and empathy of our customer service teams is an issue and thanks for bringing that to our attention.
    This isn't how we want to serve the public and seek to improve.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Brant I do hope that is true because that's not the perception Im having right now!

mtbr member

Just my 2 cents

I'm not affected personally but thru recommendation reckon I have "sold" 10 EGs over the years as folks around me ask for opinion on what's a good 6" bike.

Maybe its good to just go through inventory on both sides of the pond to sort out if there are any of these "problematic" ones left once and for all.

I have the old 1.5, help taken delivery of the new MKIII and then there is 1 piece with this shallow headset lying around in my house waiting to be built up for a friend.

Frankly even when surrounded by a ridiculous amount of LBS where I live, its not as simple to get the correct reaming tool.. What a lot of shops have are the older generation ones that doesnt fit the tapered tubes properly... have convinced my friend the safest bet is to go with a smoothie set for now. Its not a performance issue but some would like to spec their parts right down to even a tiny spacer. For me its a matter of seeing someone 100% satisfied with a bike I can build up for them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    The headset bore depth is not a qc issue. It fits our Smoothie Mixer.
    Lack of experience, info and empathy of our customer service teams is an issue and thanks for bringing that to our attention.
    This isn't how we want to serve the public and seek to improve.
    Yes, but Brant, both you have repeatedly stated that all frames will be reamed before being sent out. That does not appear to be the case. Correct? That is a CS issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Yes, but Brant, both you have repeatedly stated that all frames will be reamed before being sent out. That does not appear to be the case. Correct? That is a CS issue.
    I haven't stated that.

edit :: I don't RECALL stating that.

Shiggy might well have said that in the USA. Wasn't the case in the UK. Smoothie Mixer fits. Very dissapointing that our sales/CS team didn't advise to order Smoothie Mixer. I have offered to ship a Smoothie Mixer to recent upset people on here. Two have accepted this offer.

V3 frames are all good to go.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    I haven't stated that.

edit :: I don't RECALL stating that.

Shiggy might well have said that in the USA. Wasn't the case in the UK. Smoothie Mixer fits. Very dissapointing that our sales/CS team didn't advise to order Smoothie Mixer. I have offered to ship a Smoothie Mixer to recent upset people on here. Two have accepted this offer.

V3 frames are all good to go.
    Shiggy said it. So, Titus USA and Ttus UK are NOT on the same page? You fellows don't talk? Perhaps you should.
    So what the smoothie mixer fits. NO OTHER headset does. WHAT OTHER frame manufacturer sells a frame that only their headset [how convenient] fits? Your explanation [way out] is a total cop-out. You are still offering a band-aid to your F-up.
    OWN UP TO IT!!! You continue to add to your legacy as a poor customer service frame maker by continuing to use the mixer as your explanation/ answer to the problem

OWN UP TO YOUR MISTAKES. TAKE CARE OF YOUR CUSTOMERS. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, DON'T TRY TO BULLSH*T YOU POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS.
    Last edited by Renegade; 07-16-2012 at 08:42 PM.

screamer
    Titus is selling its frames for half of what they used to cost, truly amazing deals for such great products. Presumably one of the ways they are able to do this is with a slightly rough-and-ready front office. (Personally i've found the CS & support to be great, at least dealing with the On One side, which of course isn't a "side" at all... On par with or better than companies that charge a much higher price point.) I'm not hearing anyone suggest that Titus should raise its prices, but if they did I'm sure they could invest in a dedicated CS department. My vote: stick with the current business plan & rough n'ready ethos.
    On heavy rotation: White Lung: Deep Fantasy

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    WHAT OTHER frame manufacturer sells a frame that only their headset [how convenient] fits?
    cannondale did that for ages, didn't they? i'm pretty sure their old headtubes were not 100% compatible with the one point five standard. dunno about the their newer frames.

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sclyde2 View Post
    cannondale did that for ages, didn't they? i'm pretty sure their old headtubes were not 100% compatible with the one point five standard. dunno about the their newer frames.
    So did Klein, but it's not 1993 anymore.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I believe Token headsets work too for the top shallow bore. And it comes in different colors .

Only thing is that you have to buy a separate unit for the Bottom headset because Token headset only comes in a 44 dia for both top and bottom
    Last edited by magixuser; 07-17-2012 at 11:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Guess who makes the Smoothie.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast