mtbr member
    Feb 2007

My Finished Racer X Build

Here are some shots of my new rX build. I haven't shortened the brake cables yet, need to get the olives and connectors somewhere for the XTR brakes. It's an XL frame and it feels really comfortable. The final weight with pedals is 27.8 lbs. I'm not running it tubeless, just not interested yet. I am filling the tubes with Stans solution though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Very Nice, how do you like your race king tires???

Sopwithcamel

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    Very Nice, how do you like your race king tires???

Sopwithcamel

Thanks!

The Race Kings definitely roll fast. They suck if the trail's covered with leaves, specially while cornering. You slide all the way through the corner with no grip at all. Maybe I'm just not used to them or I should let some air out, I am running them at 50psi right now. They're OK on sand but same slide problem while cornering. I do love the way they roll though so I'm not ready to go to anything knobbier or lower the psi just yet. One or two of the knobs broke half way off, not sure why. :/ That was on like third or fourth easy ride on some simple (leaf covered) trail with not many roots at all. Looking at the Speed Kings it seems the sides have bigger knobs which may be better for cornering but I'm not sure if they'll fit on the rear, these 2.2's almost touch the rear seatstay U. It CONSTANTLY catches leaves/sticks in there. They're perfect for a hard packed trail but most of the 'race' tires say that's what they're designed for. Comparing them to Kenda Nevegal 2.3 Stickies on my Ransom20, these are like sliding on ice. Though when I switched one of the rear stickies (tore it) to a Scott brand 2.3 it was like I took the glue off the tires. Those things don't roll at all. So to conclude, these are my first race specific tires. They're VERY FAST and light compared to what I've ridden on but they're not forgiving in any way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Looks very nice, are you in Fla? Question on your rear der cable, will that be shorter as well? Mine is a pretty straight run over the drop out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 13pumps
    Looks very nice, are you in Fla? Question on your rear der cable, will that be shorter as well? Mine is a pretty straight run over the drop out.
    Thanks! Yes, I'm in FL.

I was wondering if anyone would notice the rear housing. It was way shorter before this past weekend. We were going to Santos (Fat Tire Festival) and I changed it out because I was getting some ghost shifts. I thought that may have been because of the short housing but after I changed the housing AND properly adjusted the derailleur, I noticed the housing had nothing to do with the ghost shifts as it never moved. Because we were in a hurry I decided to keep it long for the ride. I'll be going back to the shorter one this week.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nice looking bike. 27.8lbs seems kinda heavy though based on the parts you got on the bike. I woudl have thought it would be closer to 25lbs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Filip
    Nice looking bike. 27.8lbs seems kinda heavy though based on the parts you got on the bike. I woudl have thought it would be closer to 25lbs.

You know, I was hoping the same but I think it's because of the XL frame. If I recall correctly the frame weight out to 7.1lbs. With a L frame, smaller steer tube and tubeless I might have reached the <25lb I was sorta hoping for. I didn't really spec out any of the parts weights, just went by price/components I liked. I do like the XL though, I don't feel cramped.

Thanks! It's my fav bike at the moment, between my other bikes: Scott Ransom 20 and the Felt Virtue 3, both large frame size. It's also the lightest.

Happy Trails

Shimano Brake Parts At Jenson

Jenson's got those little brass tips and olives for cheap. I got a few extras. I have some posts about bleeding XT brakes that might be helpful when you cut your hoses. Jenson also has the black rubber boots that cinch over the hose clamp nut at the levers... you can get two extra boots and install them down low on your caliper hose clampss ... gives the caliper hose joint a nice clean appearance. See photo below.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...End+Cover.aspx

Nice bike. Those palmettos look like home to me! Go Gators.

I like my Mountain Kings... and am also building an RX29r right now...

Happy trails.

Ultimated Outsider
    That places looks familiar. I normaly don't like white bikes but yours looks good.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sundowner
    That places looks familiar. I normaly don't like white bikes but yours looks good.

It's next to Gainsville, FL at Ocala. Santos trail. Those shots were somewhere after the landbridge over I75 on the "epic" trail. I couldn't push my friend to do the whole 40mile loop, so we ended up doing about 12.5 one way and turned back not long after that break. It was a painful, long, slow way back but he made it. That matte white is hard to keep clean but since white reflects light better than dark colors, it's probably the faster color.