No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

My extensive, rambling musings on the El Guapo

I've been on an '09 El Guapo frame since May of 2010. During that time, I've had several other "secondary" rides, but the EG has been my main go-to rig.

Just for clarity's sake, I consider myself a modestly skilled technical rider. I'm 42 years old, 6'2", 190 pounds without gear. The EG is a L. I ride extremely rocky and techy trails in Arizona. I've used this rig on everything from XC-ish rides to shuttles.

During this time, I've experimented with several different setups (Hammerschmidt, 150 to 170mm front travel, air vs coil rear shock, heavy vs not-so-heavy wheels, etc.). I'm pretty well settled into its current setup: RP23, Lyric single air 170mm fork, traditional dual-ring crankset, moderately light wheels (Stan's Flow) tubeless with heavy-ish Maxxis tires (the only tires I can keep alive for any length of time in our environment).

In all honesty, this bike was not "love at first ride" for me. I've been fortunate enough to have had several very nice bikes over the years. And there have been a couple that I did fall in love with quickly (Turner RFX, '10 Spec. Enduro).

I've never much cared for the Titus aesthetically. The swoopy tube thing doesn't press my buttons. Even at my height and with either a 50mm or 70mm stem, I wouldn't mind a slightly shorter top tube. And I absolutely hate the low bottom bracket (several sets of ruined pedals hate it more).

All that said, I have to admit that the EG -- from a riding progression standpoint -- has been the best bike I've owned. It's light and efficient enough (without relying on Propedal) to be a good pedaller and a great technical climber. It's slack and burly enough to really own gnarly technical descents. It's not a plow bike, but it's forgiving enough to overcome my lapses in judgement.

Whatever happens with Titus in the future, they really built something special with the '09 and '10 El Guapos. If I wasn't spending money building a DH bike (Morewood Izimu), I'd be sorely tempted to pick up a closeout '10 frame just to have for when I finally destroy my '09.

RHRF!

EG Rules!

Nice entry into 'The Chute of Death', B!

My '08 EG still puts a massive smile on my face. I originally had set mine up more XC'ish - 100mm stem, 27" bars, ZTR Arch rims - but over the past 2 years, it has evolved into one sweet tech machine - Stan's Flows, 2X10 drivetrain, 65mmm stem, 29.5" bars, 2.5 front tire, and my favorite upgrade... Fox 36 180mm Talas fork!

The 2X10 has helped take this beast up the climbs but it really rips the descents now !
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

mtbr member
    Pretty much the same rant and raves... could do with a tad lower on the TT
    Have mostly squared away the low bb issue/ pedal strikes with my current setup.

But for what the bike can do..that's precislely why I pick up a 2nd piece even though the current one is doing perfectly fine!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by titusbro
    Nice entry into 'The Chute of Death', B!

My '08 EG still puts a massive smile on my face. I originally had set mine up more XC'ish - 100mm stem, 27" bars, ZTR Arch rims - but over the past 2 years, it has evolved into one sweet tech machine - Stan's Flows, 2X10 drivetrain, 65mmm stem, 29.5" bars, 2.5 front tire, and my favorite upgrade... Fox 36 180mm Talas fork!

The 2X10 has helped take this beast up the climbs but it really rips the descents now !
    TB, you have the "jewel in the crown" EG right? Still my dream bike and I still check e-bay for a large. I hope the "new" titus brings that bike back.

RHRF!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    TB, you have the "jewel in the crown" EG right? Still my dream bike and I still check e-bay for a large. I hope the "new" titus brings that bike back.
    2008 Ti EG!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My extensive, rambling musings on the El Guapo-img_3467.jpg  

My extensive, rambling musings on the El Guapo-img_3468.jpg  

mtbr member
    2008 Ti EG!

Oh sweet Jesus, that thing is beautiful. It looks perfect with the 180 up front as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Really dig the Ti rocker bridge. Didn't notice it before. Are those P35 rims?

RHRF!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG
    Really dig the Ti rocker bridge. Didn't notice it before. Are those P35 rims?
    Stans Flows

searcher
    Very good review man! Not the usual "this bike rocks whatever I do" type.
    Thanks very much for that.
    Knowing what I know it would be a noble thing from Titus to keep the EG even if they change everything else from the fleet.
    Kovi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    Jimmy at the Bike in Bean in Sedona was selling his Large Ti EG when I was there a couple of weeks ago. I was tempted to pick it up myself. $1800 with CK headset, XT front deraileur, Pushed Roco Coil shock with ti spring and a seat collar and post too IIRC.

Looks to be in really nice shape.

PS: Nice review Blatant. That low bottom bracket is part of the price you pay for the way it abosolutely rules downhills and rails corners.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Stans Flows
    What headset/ steerer?

RHRF!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG
    What headset/ steerer?
    Chris King 1.5" Devolution/Tapered

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Hmm. I have the same configuration w/ a different headset

My bottom is external but top is zero stack and it's starting to knock.

Trying to find something with a good bit of insertion. Most of the reducer cups are under half inch, like 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant

where did you find that helmet?
    Last edited by Deerhill; 02-19-2011 at 12:42 PM.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The helmet is a Protec Ace Dig, which I'm pretty sure is out of production. I recently picked up an Urge Endur-o-matic and it is AWESOME.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Been looking for something to block the sun better. That Protc looks like it has a good bill, nice and low.
    I've seen that Urge helmet but haven't been able to try it on. Padding looks good