Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Moving on from my Motolite

I've had my Motolite for about 5 years and starting to get the new bike itch. Curious what Motolite riders have moved on to?

I need versatility above all else, something I can ride on all day rides in rough terrain and still be fun and peppy enough for the afterwork spins on local trails. Budget will be under $4000, happy to pay less. Will definitely be looking at bigger wheels, although not convinced yet.

Took my first look through the LBS yesterday, Giant Trance X0 29er was $3400, and they had a Jamis 650b marked down to $1900, so that's where I'm going to start.

Whatcha' got?

mtbr member

Norco sight killer-b. I've been on a HT 29er (On One Lurcher) for the last couple of months until this finally came in. I'm not sure if it was time away from rear suspension, but this bike is a blast to ride!
    Moving on from my Motolite-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370221459.817343.jpg
    Moving on from my Motolite-imageuploadedbytapatalk1370221824.716196.jpg

mtbr member
    I moved on to a dw linked 5-Spot. Very similar ride to the ML. Good climber, good descender. A very well balanced ride. Highly recommended. As Turner moves away from 26" bikes, you may be able to pick one up for pretty cheap. The good thing about Turners is that the warranty applies to even second hand bikes.

I basically went from this:

Moving on from my Motolite-smaller_picture.jpg

to this:

Moving on from my Motolite-img_1051.jpg
    Last edited by Vespasianus; 06-03-2013 at 08:50 AM.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the input. My wife has a 5 Spot, and the Sight has definitely been on my radar.

What would you say these bikes do better than the Motolite? I got to demo a SC Superlight 29er last year and the most notable thing to me was that the front end seemed more stable and tracked better.

mtbr member

The sight has a lower BB, so it definitely carves the turns. I've had a couple pedal strokes, but my El Guapo had issues with this as well. The sight is really similar to the ML, just really hard to find right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Thanks for the input. My wife has a 5 Spot, and the Sight has definitely been on my radar.

What would you say these bikes do better than the Motolite? I got to demo a SC Superlight 29er last year and the most notable thing to me was that the front end seemed more stable and tracked better.
    That is a big part. The ML really was at its best with a 490mm A/C. Anything more and the front end got very light.

Overall, in comparing the two bikes, they have a very similar feel, if you know what I mean. They both climb well but differently. With the spot, it is best to climb in the middle ring and power down. With the ML, you need to drop to the granny and spin. The ML is a better technical climber in my mind. The Spot does better on steeper, smoother climbs.

On the downs, they are about the same, with the ML maybe having the edge. My ML had a highly tuned (PUSHed) shock with a HV sleeve and a bottom out bumper so my experience may not be universal. With that said, the Spot is no slouch and descends great.

The spot is also much stiffer as it should be, at more than 1lbs more in weight. As someone else mentioned the bb is lower on the spot and it just feels lower and closer to the ground. The ML always felt high to me.

Hope that helps.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    I would say el guapo if you could get one. My two favorite bikes at Interbike were the Trance X 29 and tge Carbine 275, both were amazing bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks Craig. Can you tell me more about how the ride on the Trance or Carbine would be different from the Motolite?

mtbr member
    Well its been a while since I rode my ML, but I did have one for three years. What I remember is that it had a very light front end and high BB, it also felt very tall but it was still a great bike. That is the way bikes were built then. I prefer the 29" wheel now, I can ride just as fast through techy terrrain on my Carbon Rockstar as my El Guapo. The bigger wheels just smooth out the trail, gap the rocks better, and just roll over trail irregularities much better then the 26" wheel. On the Trance it was very playful yet light enough to ride all day, I rode up Bootleg twice on that bike it was so much fun. You cant beat the price either. I'm not sure how tall you are, that is a big factor on converting to the bigger wheel, if you are over 5-10, I say go for it, there is a bit of a learning curve, but once you get used to it, I think you will love it. The Intense is probably out of your price range but it felt every bit as good as the Trance if not a little better in the tech due to it being a bit more maneuverable due to the smaller wheel. It sucked up the Bootleg chop like a 7" FR bike. On the big wheel bikes you feel like you are more "in" the bike then "on top" of the bike, the BB and center of gravity is lower so the handling is far superior to higher BB's.

mtbr member

Re: Moving on from my Motolite

After 7 years with ML, I also got the itch for a new bike. Not because ML is lacking though. I ended up going with Salsa El Mariachi steel frame 29er hardtail and I am having a blast. The bigger wheels, steel frame and increased volume tires make the bike so plush. It feels like it has rear suspension. At 5'8", I wasn't sure 29ers would work out but loving it so far.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I hear you sungchang, do love my ML, just got a bit of an itch. I'm 5'8 also and thought for a long time that the bigger wheels weren't for me, but I demo'd one last year and it hardly felt bigger or unwieldy, which is how 29ers I tried 3-4 years ago felt.

Thanks Craig, that helps. I've never felt the "tallness" you mention on the ML, but it might be because I have short legs and tend to keep the seat a little low anyway. I'm actually a little worried about the lower BB on many of the newer bikes out there because we do have a fair bit of chunk, roots and ruts here.

Keep the input coming, I appreciate it.

mtbr member

Re: Moving on from my Motolite

ML always felt like an extension of my body. I have several rides that I rotate depending on the trails, but as soon as I get on ML, I know I am riding MY bike. I plan to keep it a while longer. I know that the bike can handle a lot more than I am capable. That being said I am really enjoying Salsa El Mar. Currently it weighs more than my ML at 28.9lbs. Lighter wheel set, tires and crank set will easily bring it down to sub ~26lbs. But to be honest I am not noticing the weight when riding as much as much as I was initially worried over. Just having a blast.

It sounds like you have an itch like I did. Maybe pickup a new 29er hardtail to give 29ers a try. I am 5'8" with short inseam of 28.5", and so I needed to make sure that the new bike has low standover. My price range was around $1500. I found 2 bikes in the price range that had the geometry that I needed: Salsa El Mariachi (small - 28" SO) and Airborne Goblin (small - 27" SO). Goblin really stood out as far as spec and value at $1199 + $75 shipping (in Calif. have to pay tax, so total would have been $1370). Salsa El Mar cost more, $1540 for El Mar 3 complete and $1999 for El Mar 2 complete. I really wanted El Mar 2 as it had much better specs for the additional $450 over El Mar3 (specs wise, El Mar 2 equaled Goblin), but it was over my budget. But in the end my desire to try out steel frame won over, and it helped that I found small EL Mar 3 with quite bit of discount and bike shop willing to upgrade components at very reasonable prices.

One another option might be to look at Airborne Hobgoblin 29er FS, $1749 + $75 shipping. Cheaper way to try out 29ers and still satisfy your itch.

By the way, since I got my El Mar I have not touched my ML.

Here are some pics of the Salsa El Mar.

Moving on from my Motolite-d7k_9486-50%25.jpg

Moving on from my Motolite-d7k_9494.jpg

Sent from my HP TouchPad using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by sungchang; 06-07-2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Added pics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am looking at doing the same thing. Looking at the EG, Mach 429 and an IBIS 650. My problem is I'm in between sizes. My current (Large 2008 Moto Lite) bike Effective Top Tube feels a tad long and I might want with a shorter ETT.

Can anyone tell me what the Effective Top Tube is on the 2008 LARGE Moto Lite so I can compare against the new contenders? Hard to tell the difference between meds and lg on short demo rides. Thanks all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've demoed the Trance 29er in a medium and small, RM Altitude 27.5, and Tallboy so far. Impressed with both the Altitude and Trance, surprisingly disappointed in the Tallboy. Felt the Trance both pedaled and descended better than the TB. Altitude I think is my favorite so far though, 27.5 wheels might be a better fit for me.

Another lbs has Pivots and Scotts, so looking forward to checking those out as well. If anyone can point me to the 2008 ML geometry numbers, I'd be curious as to what my current bike measures out to as well.

Thanks All

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well I got the 2008 catalog for all Titus that shows all geometry but cannot figure out how to upload it. Planet One emailed it to me. The lg ML TT is 24.25

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

2008 Geometry

Moving on from my Motolite-2008-titus-pg.24-12042012_0000.jpg

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Hey PD, feel free to take my 650 Rocky Altitude for a ride if you want. This bike is perfect for me.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Hey PD, feel free to take my 650 Rocky Altitude for a ride if you want. This bike is perfect for me.
    Thanks, demoed one from Habitat and did love it. Liked the upright feel, very comfortable climbing. Thought it might feel harsh on the way down from the way it pedaled but as soon as I got up to speed it felt great. Didn't quite rail corners the way the Trance 29er did, but the shop had it set up in the most xc setting, so maybe lower, slacker would change that. How've you been running yours? You have a medium?

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I have a medium. It is in the middle/neutral position, but I am running a TALAS 36 up front, so it feels very different...(100/130/160). It's burly.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Do you use the shorter travel for climbing? I have a Talas on the ML and use the adjust a lot, but the short cockpit on the Altitude made it feel it was easy to get over the front wheel, and that the travel adjust might not be that helpful. This all based on a 90 minute ride of course.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, I use the 100 and 130 constantly. Pretty much lives in 100 for anything steep, like Pole Canyon, for example. You are still welcome to use it for a tour of Cache/Game, i will be out of town for 10 days.

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So to wrap this up, ended up buying a Pivot Mach 429. Had my self convinced I wanted a 27.5, but when I finally rode the 429 found it didn't ride like a 29er. Rails corners, rolls over **** like you expect, and a very efficient climber. Only have a few rides on it so not completely dialed yet, the low bb took a little getting used to, and the chainstays are longer than the ML (wheelbase for a small 429 is the same as the med. ML), so I need to work harder to get the front end up. The upside of that the front end is easier to keep from wandering on climbs. TT is 23, just a bit shorter than the ML, and the fit feels perfect. Shop had a good deal on a demo so resistance was futile.

Anyone interested in a 2008 Motolite, Talas fork, all xt, let me know, it's going up for sale.

Thanks for all the input, I really enjoyed geeking out on new bike shopping.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Congrats on the new ride. The 429 was one that I was also looking at too but wound up with a Tallboy 2C, really love it. I also kept my ML and still like to ride it (rode it today).You might want to consider keeping yours it is a different animal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Got me a tbltc- what a change!

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by cptjack View Post
    Got me a tbltc- what a change!
    Care to elaborate on the differences between the two?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast