Thread: Motolust!

FM
    luxatio erecta

Motolust!

Had a steller ride on the motolite last night, just wanted to post again to say how much I love this bike!

It was the standard weeknight epic, we get this one in about once a month in the summer. We did a 1200' fire-road climb, followed by a 3-4 mile steep techy descent that bottoms out in a valley, followed by another 800' fire-road climb, some sunset hike-a-bike, then we took a break at the summit and threw our lights on. After this, a totally fun 2-3 mile very steep dark alpine trail descent, followed by a-3 mile middle ring singletrack climbs and one last rockin' descent. We had a big crew, it was great to see a lot of riding buddies!

I finally got a 90mm stem to try (was using a 70mm before) and I have to say, I like it much better. When I am pedaling and looking down, my handlebars now line up with my front axle. Basically it takes a lot less work to keep the front end down on climbs, the bike climbs much better now (this is with my 140mm AM SL). Going downhill, I didn't notice much difference- it's still plenty easy to get my weight back. And, I feel like there is more room to breath and move around and weight the bike when coming into corners. I hope my buddy liked my 70mm, cause I don't want to give his 90mm back! It really was a huge improvement everywhere.

The motolite felt just plain fast, both going up and down.

Happy motolite owner!

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by FM

I finally got a 90mm stem to try (was using a 70mm before) and I have to say, I like it much better.
    yeah, 90mm this week. 100mm next week. 130mm is just around the bend

then, spandex bib shorts and ti egg beaters.

searcher
    I finally got a 90mm stem to try (was using a 70mm before) and I have to say, I like it much better. When I am pedaling and looking down, my handlebars now line up with my front axle. Basically it takes a lot less work to keep the front end down on climbs, the bike climbs much better now (this is with my 140mm AM SL).
    Looks like this is the key:When you look down the handlebars, it should line up with the front axle. I use an 80 mm stem and it is much better than the 100 mm I tried once. Using the longer one the climbing capability defenetly improoved but descending and tight singletracks became horror for me. With the 80 mm it is the same for me , it lines up with the axle.

And I agree BTW, the ML is a damn good ride, I often feel like riding in the forum just how love it after a ride, but than I think: they know it already.
    Kovi

"El Whatever"
    Cool, FM!!!

Having similarly "body geometry" (I just hope the Spesh patent trolls do not come after me), I'm lusting after a 90mm too. I'm at 95mm now, but still I feel there's room for improvement.

Currently, it's kind of off season for us around Mexico City... too much rain (not a problem) and lots of mud (huge problem).

Oddly, this is the time of the season where my bike sees less action. Dang!

Nice to see you folks are getting lotsa saddle time.
    Check my Site

thats right living legend

Me To!

Quote Originally Posted by kovi
    Looks like this is the key:When you look down the handlebars, it should line up with the front axle. I use an 80 mm stem and it is much better than the 100 mm I tried once. Using the longer one the climbing capability defenetly improoved but descending and tight singletracks became horror for me. With the 80 mm it is the same for me , it lines up with the axle.

And I agree BTW, the ML is a damn good ride, I often feel like riding in the forum just how love it after a ride, but than I think: they know it already.

Yeah, I'll be haveing an incredible ride on the ML "which is about every ride", and I'll think I've got to post up how awsome this bike is after this one. Than it'll be like, ya know I would have to do that after every single ride if I did that...which is almost everyday, which ain't easy when you work out side in triple digit heat, and around 95% humidity EVERYDAY!

FM, funny you should start a thread today. I was "just" thinking about posting a thread just to ask ya something. Since I don't live "imediatly " close to any real FR stuff, I can pretty much do what "for me " amounts to little lite FR-ish stuff arund here, which would prob be XC to you BTW. But anyway, if you didn't have your FR bike how would you change the build on the Moto, or is it built pretty much as far as you'd stretch it, as is?

Just curiouse about how "the master" would do my bike for how, and what I'd like to be doing.... but bieleve me, none of that death defying Whistler stuff for me. You know just beyond the regular XC stuff, minor dirtjumping DH drops but nothing that would prob put the frame in any jeperdy

ಠ_ಠ
    I too have a 90mm Thomson on order - should be arriving here in a few days.

I'm damn curious to see if going from 100 to 90 is going to make a difference. I really don't want give up ANY climbing prowess. With the 100 my bars do line up perfectly with the front axle, so we'll see.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr

I'm damn curious to see if going from 100 to 90 is going to make a difference. I really don't want give up ANY climbing prowess. With the 100 my bars do line up perfectly with the front axle, so we'll see.
    Please report. I'm using a 100mm right now, and I'm always wondering whether a 90mm would be better.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

When I try'd a 90, oddly enough it climbed better? The rear wheel stayed glued better out of the saddle. I had narrower bars than so, it was a little twitchy at speed, but now I'm going back down to 90mm pretty soon...(from 100mm as well).

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    FM, funny you should start a thread today. I was "just" thinking about posting a thread just to ask ya something. Since I don't live "imediatly " close to any real FR stuff, I can pretty much do what "for me " amounts to little lite FR-ish stuff arund here, which would prob be XC to you BTW. But anyway, if you didn't have your FR bike how would you change the build on the Moto, or is it built pretty much as far as you'd stretch it, as is?
    Hey BA, if I was only riding smooth XC then I might go from 28" bars to 26", and maybe slightly smaller tires (2.1-2.2) but that's about it. Keep in mind this is my XC bike though, I have it set up for technical XC and steep descents, not really FR.

Another thought; FR is as easy as buying a fold-up shovel at your local army surplus store. I have one that fits inside my camelback, on off season rides we often stop and do 15-20 minutes of "trail improvements" like berming corners or forming small jumps. Always dirt, never wood as it causes fewer problems with land owners. After a season of this, some of the local XC spots really have some nice features to screw around and build skills on- nothing huge, just fun.

Idea! Ya Know?

Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Hey BA, if I was only riding smooth XC then I might go from 28" bars to 26", and maybe slightly smaller tires (2.1-2.2) but that's about it. Keep in mind this is my XC bike though, I have it set up for technical XC and steep descents, not really FR.

Another thought; FR is as easy as buying a fold-up shovel at your local army surplus store. I have one that fits inside my camelback, on off season rides we often stop and do 15-20 minutes of "trail improvements" like berming corners or forming small jumps. Always dirt, never wood as it causes fewer problems with land owners. After a season of this, some of the local XC spots really have some nice features to screw around and build skills on- nothing huge, just fun.

That's a fantastic idea! Good to get some of the PNW tips...cool! One more if you've got a sec. So if you didn't have the RFX, you'd make do with the ML "as is" till DT hooked you up "ha ha"???

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

First impressions....

First long ride on my '05 motolight. This is my 5th bike in 3 years:

1.'04 Gary Fisher Sugar 3 - The good - Great climber, very stable on descents. The bad - chain suck, lousy Bontragger components that needed to be replaced. Still have her.
    2. Specialized stumpy pro - 4". Yawn... Gone.
    3. '05 Santa Cruz Blur - full XTR with Dual control. After I dialed this baby in she was amazing. The best climber of the bunch. Very forgiving on the descents, simply a joy to ride. The bad - Those squeaky pivot bearings really annoyed me. Got the boot.
    4. Turner Flux - Full X.0 with custom Dave's Speed dream wheelset. The good. Stable, predictable ride. Great descender, well made, pretty stiff rear end. The bad - not snappy enough, average climber. Still got it but will sell.
    5. '05 Titus Motolite . The good - Pretty good climber for 5" bike; especially on technical stuff. Average on fireroad climbs. Amazing back end - no detectable flex. Steers great, even on the tight stuff. The VERY GOOD - downhill - with a RS Rev fork and the RP3 in the rear the ride is sooo plush. I find myselft looking for crap to run over. Haven't done a drop over 1 foot as yet but I hardly even noticed that. Why does this bike go faster on the descents? Shouldn't be as fast as my Flux but the difference is very noticeable. Is it because it's plusher and I'm not having to pick the perfect line? She just seems to roll better.
    Did maybe 35 miles with a lot of climbing and downhill single track. The Moto was great. You really can ride this thing all day. Wouldn't mind putting some wider tires on the rear. Does anyone know if Titus offers just the rear triangle for sale. I read the '06 is wider to accomodate wider tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by il2mb

1.'04 Gary Fisher Sugar 3 - The good - Great climber, very stable on descents. The bad - chain suck, lousy Bontragger components that needed to be replaced. Still have her.
    3. '05 Santa Cruz Blur - full XTR with Dual control. After I dialed this baby in she was amazing. The best climber of the bunch. Very forgiving on the descents, simply a joy to ride. The bad - Those squeaky pivot bearings really annoyed me. Got the boot.
    4. Turner Flux - Full X.0 with custom Dave's Speed dream wheelset. The good. Stable, predictable ride. Great descender, well made, pretty stiff rear end. The bad - not snappy enough, average climber. Still got it but will sell.
    5. '05 Titus Motolite . The good - Pretty good climber for 5" bike; especially on technical stuff. Average on fireroad climbs. Amazing back end - no detectable flex. Steers great, even on the tight stuff. The VERY GOOD - downhill - with a RS Rev fork and the RP3 in the rear the ride is sooo plush. I find myselft looking for crap to run over. Haven't done a drop over 1 foot as yet but I hardly even noticed that. Why does this bike go faster on the descents? Shouldn't be as fast as my Flux but the difference is very noticeable. Is it because it's plusher and I'm not having to pick the perfect line? She just seems to roll better.
    Did maybe 35 miles with a lot of climbing and downhill single track. The Moto was great. You really can ride this thing all day. Wouldn't mind putting some wider tires on the rear. Does anyone know if Titus offers just the rear triangle for sale. I read the '06 is wider to accomodate wider tires.

Not bad at all being this your first ride. My guess is that as you get accustomed to its geometry (in my opinion it is enough different to your previous bikes to make a difference), climbing will get better and better and then you'll uncover its real potential.

I'd love to heard back from you a "couple or three hundred" miles later.

Oh!, and thanks for your review.

Congratulations!

Veni Vidi Vici
    Quote Originally Posted by il2mb

Stoked? I guess you are.... Thats the same feeling I had when I first rode my ML 5 months ago... and it keeps better and better as you go... Thanks for the interesting review

searcher
    Does anyone know if Titus offers just the rear triangle for sale. I read the '06 is wider to accomodate wider tires.
    Yes , it is wider, and they do sell it as far as I know. Give them a call.
    Congrats on your new ride, and thanks for the report, was very interesting.
    Kovi

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    il2mb - I also had a Flux and my thoughts were the same - very balanced, but it was not real snappy for a 4" travel bike. It always felt slow. I am amazed at quick handling of the ML.

ಠ_ಠ

Just went for a ride with my new Thomson 90mm. Overall I felt more comfortable being slightly more upright and less stretched out. The bike just seemed to fit better as the grips seemed to be in a more natural position for me.

My imediate impression was that popping a wheelie was a little easier. My main concern in getting a shorter stem was that I would be giving up some climbing ability, and on the first little steep (see pic) the front wheel felt a bit light, but after I adjusted, which took about half the hill, it was on. I don't really know why it felt so good climbing with the new set-up. But, I felt more maneuverable with the shortened cockpit and it felt easier to get my weight over my front wheel on the technical climbs - wouldn't a longer stem be better for that?

Didn't do anything too crazy on the down hills, but I would imagine it will be all good for that too. I read that too short a stem would cause steering to get twitchy, but I didn't feel any difference in that regard. I'm sure getting behind the saddle will be easier as well..
    Attached Images Attached Images

ಠ_ಠ
    double post

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Nice post - That hill looks very steep - good section to see how the ML climbs and descends

Quote Originally Posted by JTBAZ
    Nice post - That hill looks very steep - good section to see how the ML climbs and descends

That hill's NOTHING! I've got one climb, where you'r completly upsidedown, for a good 6 yrds...

"Its All Good"
    That hill's NOTHING! I've got one climb, where you'r completly upsidedown, for a good 6 yrds...
    Maw ha ha ha, that is nothing compared to what a Turner guy can climb on his Blingedy blingedy sexy RFX.

BA, answer your PM's
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Maw ha ha ha, that is nothing compared to what a Turner guy can climb on his Blingedy blingedy sexy RFX.

BA, answer your PM's

Dude! I'm working on it. Come on it's Saterday afternoon here and I've got the old lady jumping up my ass to go to dinner with her parents. Let me come back, and gather myself, Uhggg!!!!

This is a big deal for me, a trip like this ...BOY!!! LOL!!!

"Its All Good"
    Dude! I'm working on it. Come on it's Saterday afternoon here and I've got the old lady jumping up my ass to go to dinner with her parents. Let me come back, and gather myself, Uhggg!!!!

This is a big deal for me, a trip like this ...BOY!!! LOL!!!
    Its all good bro................ We will support you through this big deal trip that will reward you hugely I assure you.................Hang it is not as bad as arriving in Korea at 2 AM in the morning with no Hotel, " you can dddoooooooooo iiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttt"

LOL
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Stop Bragging...

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Its all good bro................ We will support you through this big deal trip that will reward you hugely I assure you.................Hang it is not as bad as arriving in Korea at 2 AM in the morning with no Hotel, " you can dddoooooooooo iiiiiiiiitttttttttttttttttttttt"

LOL

Just wanted to let you know, I have every intention of answering your PM my brother!!!

"Its All Good"
    Just wanted to let you know, I have every intention of answering your PM my brother!!!
    Hang bro, past bragging, H8 planes, when you near do 300 flights per year, it SUCKS... Went to 30 countries last year.......................Never doubted you would answer....