mtbr member

Motolite upgrade from a 2005 Stumpjumper FSR 120?

I am currently riding a 2005 Stumpjumper FSR 120 and i am thinking about buying a new bike. I was going to buy another Stumpjumper but my local bike shop just started carrying Titus. I am thinking about getting a aluminum motolite but i have a couple of questions.

Is it worth the extra money for the Motolite 2?

I am concerned about the warranty on the Motolite you only get three years while Speciallized has lifetime warranty.

My bike shop does not have any motolites to test ride so is it worth renting one from one of the online shops for a week to see how it compares to my stumpjumper?

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Definitely try to demo an ML if you can. I demoed a Stumpjumper (which I hated) and then an ML (which I loved and ended up buying). It is all about what fits you though. If you can wait until June 27th, the Titus demo truck is coming to Hueston woods outside of Oxford, OH. Just a couple of hours north of you and Biker Bob is a pretty swell guy so you might want to check that out.

Your Imaginary Friend
    That was the exact move I made about a year and a half ago and I had absolutely no regrets (I no longer have the ML; I ride a Racer X now because I decided to dedicate myself to racing this year). I actually bought my ML without trying it first but couldn't see myself doing that again simply because it's a bad idea not because I was dissatisfied with the ML.

If you can, definitely demo one to see if it floats your boat.
    There's a fine line between courage and foolishness. Too bad it's not a fence.

Ultimated Outsider
    That what I did. I went form a 2005 S-work Stumpy 120 to a Ti ML. I have no regrets, and and did not even demo the ML. All I got was the frame and transfer my parts over. To me the feel of how the ML ride is better than the Stumpy.

thats right living legend
    Oh gosh the ML is so much stiffer/better. The only thing I could see with the warrenty is that after 3 yrs you would have moved on from the Stumpy already, while the ML would become a part of you so much that you'd be wishing for that life time warrenty but with the ML.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sundowner
    That what I did. I went form a 2005 S-work Stumpy 120 to a Ti ML. I have no regrets, and and did not even demo the ML. All I got was the frame and transfer my parts over. To me the feel of how the ML ride is better than the Stumpy.
    Ti or Exo.... lifetime warranty

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by Yolden Gears
    Definitely try to demo an ML if you can. I demoed a Stumpjumper (which I hated) and then an ML (which I loved and ended up buying). It is all about what fits you though. If you can wait until June 27th, the Titus demo truck is coming to Hueston woods outside of Oxford, OH. Just a couple of hours north of you and Biker Bob is a pretty swell guy so you might want to check that out.
    I didn't realize the demo truck was coming here in June til I read your post.
    That's just one week after we start work on a new building at the trailhead. Should be crazy
    We have a bunch of demo bikes all the time if you want to try them out. Or take home your favorite one.
    Free camping at Hueston Woods State Park if you'd like to stay the night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Paste eater
    Whoa, totally different bikes. Biggest thing I got was the stumpy felt WAAAAAY lower. My ML has a 14.2 BB. That's high, but I like that. Stumpy felt like an straight XC bike to me.

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwind
    Whoa, totally different bikes. Biggest thing I got was the stumpy felt WAAAAAY lower. My ML has a 14.2 BB. That's high, but I like that. Stumpy felt like an straight XC bike to me.
    StumpJumper might be pretty high too with your fork and tires.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr

True. The stumpy really felt low though.

edit: yep, 13.07inches with stock setup. That's too low for a AM rig IMO.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr

I can't even recognize you any more.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    I can't even recognize you any more.
    No joke! Went PNW on his new XC rig. Duly's going to have to find some bigger stuff to ride.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    I am going to buy the Motolite but i have a question should i take the parts off of my Stumpjumper and just buy the frame and replace parts as needed or should i buy a complete.
    What are your opinions on this?
    Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by houndboy
    I am going to buy the Motolite but i have a question should i take the parts off of my Stumpjumper and just buy the frame and replace parts as needed or should i buy a complete.
    What are your opinions on this?
    Thanks for the input.
    Congratulations houndboy

If your parts are old I would buy a complete

If the complete is not the spec you want buy a frame

If the parts are newer and loved on the other bike just buy a frame

If you do not like the parts on the complete sell them and get ones you want

mtbr member
    I found a local guy that had a Moto Lite and he let me take it for a spin in the trails. WOW what a amazing bike. It felt so much stiffer than my Stumpjumper even though it was set up for his lighter weight. It also felt as light as a cross country bike (granted it had lighter conponets than my bike) but at the same time would handeled the hits.
    Now all i want to do is sell my Speciallized and buy a moto lite.

Veni Vidi Vici
    Quote Originally Posted by houndboy
    I found a local guy that had a Moto Lite and he let me take it for a spin in the trails. WOW what a amazing bike. It felt so much stiffer than my Stumpjumper even though it was set up for his lighter weight. It also felt as light as a cross country bike (granted it had lighter conponets than my bike) but at the same time would handeled the hits.
    Now all i want to do is sell my Speciallized and buy a moto lite.
    glad to hear what you felt that is the same thing I felt before buying my ML last year.... My ML is 27.1 lbs its light, but it sure handles great hits ... hope to see your new ML very soon