WP Local

Motolite repair questions

I have a 2006 Motolite with a SRAM X-9 build..

I try to do basic repairs myself and need advice on three things:

1.) The horst link on the drivetrain side is loose enough so that the chain stay is moving slightly (makes a creaky noise as you pedal up a hill). I went to tighten this while on the trail and noticed that the back "bolt" isn't really a traditional bolt, it is completley round and the 4mm hex drive threads into it... It is not something that I am able to tighten unless there is a specialty tool?

2.) Front Juicy 7 break... I can completely pull the lever to the handlebar with almost zero breaking. I tried to adjust the top red pad-adjustment to no avail. The pads seemt to be in good shape. Should I buy a bleed kit and try to bleed them? any other ideas?

3.) Chain suck... OK, so I shouldn't be going into granny that often anyway; however, when I do (or rather try to) The chain jumps over the last cog and I have to take off my back wheel to get it unstuck... Is it time for a new chain or is there something else I could try (taking out links?)

Any advice is apprecaited.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Re: no. 3, it sounds like you're talking about the chain dropping between the cassette and the rear hub, no? Otherwise, why would you need to take the wheel off? Chain suck refers to the chain dropping off the inner ring on your crankset, usually caused by trying to shift under too much load. If that is what's happening, just try backing off on your pedaling momentarily before downshifting. If you are talking about the cassette, that should be fixed by using the low limit screw on your rear derailleur. Download the owners manual from the SRAM website for good detailed instructions. Unless you kept yours, which you didn't, cuz, who does?

David B.

mtbr member
    #1 - it is just an allen. if the bolt is tight, your problem is the bearing.
    #2 - that sounds like a need to bleed. if you pump the brakes, do they eventually grab? that's a good indicator of needing a bleed.
    #3 - tough to tell what you're describing.

WP Local
    Thank you...
    I Think bleeding the breaks and replacing the bearing are key.
    The chain is probably just a minor adjustment.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Competitive Cyclist sells a Racer-X / Moto-Lite rebuild kit for $65. You get all the bearings and the Horst Link bushings.