mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Motolite for me?

I currently have a Giant VT, and want to replace it with a Motolite. I haven't done any research nor thought of any other bike manufactures to compare the VT with. Somehow I know the Motolite is best for my needs. It must climb and descent in technical trails. It must be fully active downhill when I brake (beacuse I have no balls...). It must be stiff and it must be light (yes, I'm a fat weight weenie). I do not do drops, but trails can be very rocky. Therefore I can't think of anyther bike that meets these requirements. I am happy with the VT but it's not stiff in the rear, the rear brake affects the suspension, and not plush as it relies heavily on SPV in the Swinger.

I am 5'8" with short legs and long torso. 30" inseam pants... My VT is a 16.5" frame but I must use a 110 stem beacuse the top tube is short on the VT.

Is the Motolite the correct bike for me? What frame size do I need?
    Where do I purchase a bike or frame in Australia? Can the bikes or frame be sold international or do I need to find an Aussie distributor. I would like to buy from a US LBS direct to save money.

Cheers and thanks for any assistance and please excuse my ignorance as I do not know anything about Titus.

Gravity Tester
    Get a medium. It's got a pretty tall seat tube, but I can't recommend the small if you're a heavier rider.

I'm guessing, but it's likely your best bet is to find a dealer online here in the US that will ship internationally. I'm unaware of what the distribution scene is in AU. If you do find a Australian dealer and can arrange a test ride, I'd certainly recommend it.

You've come to the right place to learn more about the brand. I think a ML will meet all of you requirements. It's a great frame with loads of enthusiastic fans.

Ti is addictive
    I came from a Giant (NRS) to a Racer-X and found Titus geometry perfect for me. I to am 5'8" and 29.8 inch inseam. I went small with 100 mm stem and perfect for me. The Motolite is very similar in geometry so I can't see any issues. Some on this forum don't like the small and its travel progression but to each there own therefore the medium vs small debate in past threads. Best advise is to talk to Chad or Bob, they can give you sizing advise and also provide you with a motolite if you decide.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Also came from a VT

Hey AM,
    I came from a VT1. You will not be let down by going with a Motolite. I had a VT1 and liked it alot. I then bought a Titus Switchblade frame as a project. When I finally got the Switchblade built up I fell in love with it, while the VT1 wound up on ebay. I had one final ride on the VT before selling it. It was a great bike but the Switchblade was stiffer, a better climb and just a more solid bike. It basically felt more there.
    I still have the Switchblade but a couple months ago I got a Motolite. The Moto takes it to another level. It has better climbing, a little better descending, a little more efficient, and more adjustable (you can reach down and change the RP3 on the fly).
    Definitely go medium. I had a small VT and now have a medium Motolite. Plus the medium has the better, longer shock than the small.

Chris

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thank-you for the responses. I weigh around 200 lbs.
    I didn't consider that there would be different design(s) between small and medium frames. I originally thought a small would have been my size, but I will search the forum to try to find out what the Motolite sizing differences are. The medium's long seat tubes seems too much for my short legs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Tiendo,

I think it's more that a heavier rider (160+) pounds and the small moto-lite frame don't match up well. The weight will cause the shock to blow through it's travel much too quickly. For a lighter rider, the small matches up well.

Ti is addictive
    Mcgrath,

I read the thread (Yeti????) and that's why to each there own about shock progression, blah, blah, blah. There were 2 different opinions, one by a 230?lber saying he was blowing thru the travel, and another 250lber saying all was well. What I was trying to say is sizing is very bias to ones own preference. A good dealer will listen to your concerns, body weight, and give you a sound basis as to the size to go with. Personally I would go with the small, but thats because I'm riding 2 small framed Titus bikes right now and a 3rd one on the way. But to each there own right? Oh by the way I weigh in at 195lbs and have not had any issues about blowing thru travel on my racer-x. Can't give you any impressions on the motolite as haven't test ridden one yet. But I gotta say if it rides like the X, that will be my 4th, but I am gonna wait and see the El guepo just cause I don't need another 4 inch travel bike. Put 50 experts in a room and get 50 opinions. Final decision should be based on personal feel and preference and what bullcrap you sift thru.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    can't argue with logic like that. Well said.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Now I'm even more confused.
    My first instinct is a small frame, but I think all order a medium.
    Last edited by All Mountain; 08-20-2006 at 08:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    AM - the ML sounds like it will match your riding style - It climbs great, Its an awesome descender, great in corners and the tight twisties. It can be built up pretty light. It is a great mountain bike. What amazed me is how well it performed in the 4" mode and the 5" mode.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think that is a good choice. I am also 5'8" with a 31" inseam. When I demoed it, It felt great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've ordered a medium Motolite frame 2006. Navy powdercoat with polished rear.
    Hopefully the order goes through and it gets to me! I will have to build on a budget and whatever parts fit off my VT, but who cares I'm getting my dream bike.
    This is the perhaps the greatest mountain bike moment for me !

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    awesome!!! Where did you get it? Do newer Moto lites come with a polished rear, or does this need to be ordered separate?

Ti is addictive
    Congrats and welcome to the family........Post pics no matter if its a budget or a Macdaddy build. No one cares as we all appreciate fine art around here.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    I've ordered a medium Motolite frame 2006. Navy powdercoat with polished rear.
    Hopefully the order goes through and it gets to me! I will have to build on a budget and whatever parts fit off my VT, but who cares I'm getting my dream bike.
    This is the perhaps the greatest mountain bike moment for me !
    mmmmhhh... I see Giant riders are statistically more prone to get a Titus bike...

Congratulations!!! I'm positive you'll love it!

Are you financing the ML selling the VT? I'd keep it as a second bike/frame. You can't have much money back for those since some stores blew them for 200 bucks.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgrath
    awesome!!! Where did you get it? Do newer Moto lites come with a polished rear, or does this need to be ordered separate?
    Ordered from Speedgoat for $975. It will cost me a small fortune to ship it to Oz. Mine was listed as navy with polished rear. They have medium matt grey with polished rear as well. I reckon the polished rear is sweet. Shock could be RP3 or RP23.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    mmmmhhh... I see Giant riders are statistically more prone to get a Titus bike...

Congratulations!!! I'm positive you'll love it!

Are you financing the ML selling the VT? I'd keep it as a second bike/frame. You can't have much money back for those since some stores blew them for 200 bucks.
    Thanks Warp, Giant runs deep in my blood. However, time to move on. I actually was not all that impressed with Trance or Reign. I seemed in between them. I am an engineer and believe in the Horst Link. I believe Chris knew the horst link the best, so I want to get a Motolite before they get fiddled with too much. From what I've read it sounds absolutely like a perfect match for me. The VT will be stripped of anything usefull for the build. The remainder of it will go for sale at any price offered. I can't see me riding it with a Motolite sitting next to it !

thats right living legend

True Dat!

Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Congrats and welcome to the family........Post pics no matter if its a budget or a Macdaddy build. No one cares as we all appreciate fine art around here.

Well put, and true...

mtbr member
    All Mountain, congrats on your new purchase. I think you will enjoy your ML quite a bit. After few rides, post your comparison to VT.

Btw from what I have been reading, if the rear shock comes with RP3 on a small frame, then getting a medium was probably the better choice. I weigh 250 lbs, and I'm 5'8" with 30" inseam. After talking to Chad (Red Barn) and Bob (BikerBob) and my past experience with Racer-X, I got a small with RP23 (240 psi) with 100mm stem. For my riding style, I have not run into issues that others have had. And the bike fits me perfectly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sungchang
    All Mountain, congrats on your new purchase. I think you will enjoy your ML quite a bit. After few rides, post your comparison to VT.

Btw from what I have been reading, if the rear shock comes with RP3 on a small frame, then getting a medium was probably the better choice. I weigh 250 lbs, and I'm 5'8" with 30" inseam. After talking to Chad (Red Barn) and Bob (BikerBob) and my past experience with Racer-X, I got a small with RP23 (240 psi) with 100mm stem. For my riding style, I have not run into issues that others have had. And the bike fits me perfectly.
    Thanks sungchang. I'm still waiting for my order to process, so I hope it goes through. Otherwise I start all over again and miss out on the deals. I'm same size as you except 200lbs. I never liked my small VT as the top tube was so short and I always felt I was on top of it. I won't have much seat post sticking up (maybe 100mm), but I will enjoy being able to use a 90mm stem instead of 110's. I'm not sure you can compare the two bikes .