mtbr member

New question here. Motolite II size and setup questions

Hi, after much test riding and comparing, I think I've settled on a Motolite to replace my hardtail. I have two questions I figure the folks here could answer best.

One, I am 5'6" tall, ~29" inseam. The current best fitting bike I have is an old hardtail with a 22"ish top tube. Will the small ML be too big? Is the XS really tiny? I am a little worried about going too small, since my newer hardtail (16" Rocky Mountain) has only a 21.5ish TT, and feels very small (setback post ALL the way back). If it makes a difference, think tight twisty Ontario/eastern Canadian singletrack.

Two, I can either go for the ML complete, with RP3 and TALAS R at ~ $3000 CAD, or swap the parts (LX/XT level, 2-3 years modest use) from my hardtail onto an ML2 frame with the TALAS RLC and RP23, with a few hundred left to upgrade/replace any dead parts. The old parts are a little better than the ML complete. Any thoughts on which might be best?

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I can't help much with the size question becasue I am much taller at 6' 1". I was torn between a med and a large and ended up with the large and a 100mm stem which is great for me.

My ML complete came with a RP23 shock (it appears some of them are set up that way). I also was looking at buying a frame and moving parts from the old bike but the price on the complete compared with just the frame was too good a deal. Some dealers will work with you to change out a few components on the complete for an upgrade charge and that might be your best route. I upgraded to an x-9 rear derailer and considered a Talus RLC upgrade (I got the std 2007 Talus R on my complete).

If you haven't settled on a dealer I recomend BikerBob.com, he worked with me on a rear der upgrade (X-9) on my complete and has a great reputation on this forum.
    Chet

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I would recommend getting a demo. Your local Titus dealer or Competitive Cyclist should have demo bikes available.

Also, how much do you weigh? Some Motolites use a 6.5 X 1.5 shock with a 3.33:1 leverage ratio that could cause problems if you are on the large side of things.

Also, Chet3, I have a similar set-up as you. I am 6'1 and ride a large MLII with the RP23 and Talas RLC. Could I ask how much you weigh and how you have set up your shock and fork?

txn
    mtbr member
    I went with option number 2, and I'm extremely happy with the results. Like you, I had a hardtail with 2 year old LX/XT components, and once they are dialed in they work flawlessly. The RP23 is a better shock than the RP3 in my experience.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Also, Chet3, I have a similar set-up as you. I am 6'1 and ride a large MLII with the RP23 and Talas RLC. Could I ask how much you weigh and how you have set up your shock and fork?
    I have the large ML complete with a RP23 and Talus R fork. I run the suspension at 5" travel setting and the fork at 140mm travel most of the time (except for long climbs). I weigh 230 lbs + camelback.

I run 175 PSI in the shock and 100 PSI in the fork. This was based on Sag for the shock and what felt right on the fork. (the sag on the fork had me at a lower pressure which felt mushy when I rode). I use the pro-pedal in #1 setting and was using it almost all the time except fast downhills but have been using it less lately. I ride singletrack trails in North Georgia, USA, lots fo rocks and roots.
    Chet

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm 5'7" with a 32" inseam and got a Small. I use no setback and 110mm stem. I used the fit-calculator on competitive cyclist to get a ball park figure.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by anand
    I would recommend getting a demo. Your local Titus dealer or Competitive Cyclist should have demo bikes available.

Also, how much do you weigh? Some Motolites use a 6.5 X 1.5 shock with a 3.33:1 leverage ratio that could cause problems if you are on the large side of things.

I only weigh ~ 135 or so all geared up, so I don't think the different shock length/ratio will cause any problems.

I'm in Toronto (Canada), so the Competitive Cyclist demos are out as far as I know (I can call them and check). My local dealer doesn't have a small built up for a demo, only the frame I am looking at buying. I tried out the medium and liked the overall ride characteristics, despite the bike being too long for me.

sebqc - I've used the same fit calculator, and it seems to indicate a 100mm stem with the small motolite. I like things a little shorter than average, so I'd proabably go with a 90mm

txn - did you go for the RLC or the R talas? Glad the kit swap over worked out well for you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I too am in Canada (Mtl.) and I did the Competitive Cyclist Demo while on a trip in the US. They are very flexible with shipping, i.e. they shipped mine to a camping. They will give you a 100$ demo credit on your bike purchase if you chose to buy from them. I built up a MLII frame with a TALAS RLC and love it!

Seb.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chet3
    I have the large ML complete with a RP23 and Talus R fork. I run the suspension at 5" travel setting and the fork at 140mm travel most of the time (except for long climbs). I weigh 230 lbs + camelback.

I run 175 PSI in the shock and 100 PSI in the fork. This was based on Sag for the shock and what felt right on the fork. (the sag on the fork had me at a lower pressure which felt mushy when I rode). I use the pro-pedal in #1 setting and was using it almost all the time except fast downhills but have been using it less lately. I ride singletrack trails in North Georgia, USA, lots fo rocks and roots.
    Thanks Chet3. I am 195 lbs and am using 145 lbs in the RP23 and a really low 45 lbs in the fork to achieve 25% sag front and rear. The forks do feel soft and I may add more air to get back to 15-20% sag.

Ti is addictive
    I'm a canuck to (west coast) and I ride a small motolite (just under 5'8", 29.5 inch inseam, and use a setback post and 90 mm stem)......at your weight small with shorter stroke shock is just fine with no worries, us big bone fellas (190 lbs for me) blow thru travel a little quicker if not runnin a bit more extra pressure.....(175 PSI).......

Also maybe this will solve your problem of deciding what to do

http://www.speedgoat.com/product.asp?part=129421

ML2 complete for under 2800 bucks..... not bad direct from speedgoat to.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you don't have a local dealer you like, I would HIGHLY recommend biker bob. He will make the process a wonderful experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilScience

One, I am 5'6" tall, ~29" inseam. The current best fitting bike I have is an old hardtail with a 22"ish top tube. Will the small ML be too big? Is the XS really tiny? I am a little worried about going too small, since my newer hardtail (16" Rocky Mountain) has only a 21.5ish TT, and feels very small (setback post ALL the way back). If it makes a difference, think tight twisty Ontario/eastern Canadian singletrack.

Two, I can either go for the ML complete, with RP3 and TALAS R at ~ $3000 CAD, or swap the parts (LX/XT level, 2-3 years modest use) from my hardtail onto an ML2 frame with the TALAS RLC and RP23, with a few hundred left to upgrade/replace any dead parts. The old parts are a little better than the ML complete. Any thoughts on which might be best?
    Answer 1: Small should be the correct size. Im abt the same build as you are. I would say you get non-setback seatpost with 90mm stem (to get correct measurement of saddle-handlebar); pressure should be around 170-175psi.

Answer 2: that is really personal preference.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I too think small is your size - I am 5'3" 28" inseam. I had a Rocky mountain 16 and it was small for me. I demoed a motolite small on Sunday with 100 stem an fit me well. Too long a stem on a small bike will not handle to the best IMO.