mtbr member

Motolite history

Would anyone have a link to a description of the ML history? Something that documents
    the various changes made over the years. Perhaps tips on certain years to avoid.

Any help will be much appreciated.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Can't say I know much, but if you do a search in the Titus forum for ML you should get a good idea.

I think the first true ML (there was an early Titus bike called the ML but it is nothing like the modern ML) was in 2005 and had really narrow chain-stays. These were changed eventually in 2006 sometime (?). In 2007 the ML became the ML II and had carbon seat-stays and new chain-stays and a carbon rocker. At the same time, Titus also sold a less expansive ML with the aluminum seat-stays (called the ML complete or ML1). The ML in 2005-2006 was made in the USA. The 2007 was made in Taiwan and the 2008-present is made in the USA.

The only issue with the ML is the aluminum chain-stays on the 2005-2006 model. Otherwise it is smooth sailing. One other point about the ML is that the XS and S models use a 6.5 X 1.5 shock with a high leverage ratio (3.33:1), which could be trouble for heavy riders. This was corrected on the FTM.

Honestly, I think the current ML, which is made in the USA and can be had in a large number of colors, and is only like $1700, is an absolute steal!

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    Can't say I know much, but if you do a search in the Titus forum for ML you should get a good idea.

I think the first true ML (there was an early Titus bike called the ML but it is nothing like the modern ML) was in 2005 and had really narrow chain-stays. These were changed eventually in 2006 sometime (?). In 2007 the ML became the ML II and had carbon seat-stays and new chain-stays and a carbon rocker. At the same time, Titus also sold a less expansive ML with the aluminum seat-stays (called the ML complete or ML1). The ML in 2005-2006 was made in the USA. The 2007 was made in Taiwan and the 2008-present is made in the USA.

The only issue with the ML is the aluminum chain-stays on the 2005-2006 model. Otherwise it is smooth sailing. One other point about the ML is that the XS and S models use a 6.5 X 1.5 shock with a high leverage ratio (3.33:1), which could be trouble for heavy riders. This was corrected on the FTM.

Honestly, I think the current ML, which is made in the USA and can be had in a large number of colors, and is only like $1700, is an absolute steal!
    The chainstays were only on the early 2005 (I think that by the end of 2005 they released the wider chainstays.

I don't remember the year (maybe 2007?) when they started with the carbon seatstays and carbon rockers.

"El Whatever"
    2005 - The ML is born as a replacement for the Switchblade. 2005 frames were made in Oregon by Kinesys (sp?) with the narrow chainstays used on the Racer X and older Switchblades. People complains and Titus corrects this by using the chainstays used on the SuMo and the latest Switchblade. Known issues: seatstays breaking at the drive side.

2006 - Frames are sent to Taiwan by Kinesys as they shut down the plant at Oregon. Issues with paint flaking and the chainstays.

2007 - Rear end and rockers upgraded to carbon. Issues with decals peeling off.

2008/2009 - Redesigned front end as manufacturing moves back to USA (SAPA) and a different tubeset is used.

I wouldn't avoid any year...
    Check my Site

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Old news

I would avoid all Motolites and get a FTM.

Read July issue of Mountain Bike Action for the review of the newest version, the Full Tilt Moto.

Seriously, the Motolite is an excellent bike and even better value. I like the 08 and 09 models, new tubeset and made in USA.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Warp- I thought the ML was the replacement for the locomoto originally, as it was dropped in 2005 but the switchblade was still made that year. Which is why my wife got a great deal on her locomoto that year as it was a shop clearance model. Both the LM and ML were more affordable options for Titus at the time, the ML originally sold for about $1400 if I remember right, at that time I believe the racerx and switchblade were made at Titus in AZ and the ML was their first outsourced frame. The LM was made in AZ but was cheaper because of the single pivot. I believe the switchblade was dropped because of the popularity of the cheaper model that rode oh so nice.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Whambat
    Warp- I thought the ML was the replacement for the locomoto originally, as it was dropped in 2005 but the switchblade was still made that year. Which is why my wife got a great deal on her locomoto that year as it was a shop clearance model. Both the LM and ML were more affordable options for Titus at the time, the ML originally sold for about $1400 if I remember right, at that time I believe the racerx and switchblade were made at Titus in AZ and the ML was their first outsourced frame. The LM was made in AZ but was cheaper because of the single pivot. I believe the switchblade was dropped because of the popularity of the cheaper model that rode oh so nice.
    Yeah... you're most probably right...

The year the SB and the ML coexisted (2005), it went to a coil over model that kind of never stuck and indeed the popularity of the ML finally killed it. So, Titus tried them not to overlap, but the ML came out victorious.
    Check my Site