mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Motolite help, short leg, long torso, heavy rider >>

I'm thinking of jumping into my 1st FS bike, motolite alu. I've been riding a 97 Obed HT since I purchased the frame new that year. I've been away from much off roading for a few yrs now and early this year forced myself to find the time to ride and it wasn't long that I was back in the saddle almost daily again. I live in the Boston area, so riding is typical New England rocky, rooty, twisty, singletrack.

I'm up to about 220 lbs now [sadly] so my Ti XC HT isn't exactly the best ride for me. I'm actually worried I'm over the safe limit for anything but strictly XC riding. I'm 5'11" (actually 5'10", see below) with a 30" inseam. My 18" Obed has a 22.75" tt and I have a moots layback post and oldschool raceface System in 130mm to give me a little extra cockpit room. It's a great XC bike and I'd never get rid of it, but I'm looking for something with more travel, beefier/stiffer, FS, etc...and I'd like to step into the new century.

I've test ridden lots of factory offerings at the LBS's...XT/XTR level specialized fsr, trek, giant, etc. All good bikes, but I like the idea of a boutique brand and the motolite is just too damn cool. Though I sure like the feel of the Specialized.

Titus website lists the medium's standover at 28.75" which is good and effective tt at 23"+, which is also seems good for me. I'm not opposed to buying sight-unseen but I want to ensure it's a good match for my riding and body type.

Lastly, RE: inseam, I call it 30" (based on pant size) but if I use Seven's custom kit method of determining standover (place book between legs, hard against crotch), I get more like 31.5" for my inseam. How do you folks determine correct standover?

Anyway, don't mean to ramble, but figured this'd be the best place for info. Plan to call Titus as well. Thanks for any help!!

Edited to add: after an actual measurement, I see that 5'11" is wishful thinking, I'm a solid 5'10".
    Last edited by patrick_b; 07-25-2006 at 10:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick_b

I'm up to about 220 lbs now [sadly] so my Ti XC HT isn't exactly the best ride for me. I'm actually worried I'm over the safe limit for anything but strictly XC riding. I'm 5'11" with a 30" inseam.
    220 is a total non issue for the motolite. I'm 229... was riding my motolite when I was 239. 250 with gear. I run at most 200PSI in the shock. and I ride the wee out of that bike. I've taken it on DH courses. no issues, zero breakage. no frame flex. tracks straight.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Medium

Medium for sure. I'm 5-11 and 210# and the Medium is fine. The one constraint to make note of is that Titus doesn't recommend you run more than 8 inches of seatpost which in your case (shortish inseam) shouldn't be an issue. The rest of the fit should not be problematic given all the different permutations and combinations of seatposts, stems, and handlebars. So, don't get too fixated on TT lengths ect. because you can get the bike to fit.

Interesting, I too have a litespeed... a1997 Ocoee, which still gets a lot of saddle time and it keeps my bike handling skills fresh. The ML will be a great complement to the litespeed. Here in Alaska, there are trails suitable for one bike or the other... it's fun having that choice.

Go for it... I too got mine sight unseen and have no regrets.

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.

mtbr member
    You and my friend seem to be fairly same build except for weight (he weighs more like 200lbs), but height and inseam sounds very similar. He rides a medium and it fits him really well. He tried riding my small and he felt it was a little cramped.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I tried a bunch of different search phrases and finally searched for "long torso" and it came back with a gold mine of info!!

Appreciate the help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The only issue you might have is standover on the med. But it's really not an issue when your on the bike and when it's time to eject alot of us including myself lean the bike to the side anyway. Do what ever you can to fit the medium as it's a totally different riding machine than the small. ie: leverage ratio. I fortunately got to ride both. JMHO.
    When your girlfriends Mother french kisses you hello....Now that's friendly!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nokin
    The only issue you might have is standover on the med. But it's really not an issue when your on the bike and when it's time to eject alot of us including myself lean the bike to the side anyway. Do what ever you can to fit the medium as it's a totally different riding machine than the small. ie: leverage ratio. I fortunately got to ride both. JMHO.
    Nokin, that's a great point. I gotta say, on my Obed, I have very little standover clearance, certainly not the couple of inches that is recommended. I 've kind of lived with it on all my bikes over the years...and as you mentioned, it's not an issue while on the bike. So I'll just stay 'on the bike' and be fine...yeah right