mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Motolite or Hammerhead 100 ??

I have a Hammerhead 100 that is the next best thing to sex, but I'm thinking a Motolite would be like new sex. Should I stick with the Hammerhead or is the Motolite that impressive that I should make the switch.

It's all about sweet trail riding so please omit the money discussions.

Full Trucker Effect
    I honestly don't know that there will be that much difference. 3/4 inch of travel and a slightly slacker head angle probably isn't woth a new bike unless you're really just ready for a new ride.

Do It Yourself
    It's closer to 1.2" more travel (3.8" HH vs. 5" ML). But check the sizing and geometry carefully. You would be giving up the rock solid straight gauge downtube and the tighter handling of the Hammerhead. But the MotoLite is a fun ride as well. All depends on what you want
    Long Live Long Rides

I wonder why?
    I had a HH100X for almost four years prior to getting a custom Exogrid Motolite (about a month ago). Like yourself, I just loved the HH and was truly sorry to see it go.

I went with a custom frame to get a 23" TT because, at 5'8.75", I'm in between frame sizes and the HH fit me to a T. With the Float fork set to 100mm the wheel base is identical on both bikes. With the fork set at 100m and the rear end set at 4”, the Motolite's handling is nearly identical to the HH in virtually all situations.

Initially, with the fork set at 130mm, the Motolite’s higher BB is really noticeable. Not in a negative way, you just feel higher on the bike. For those who are interested, I like my handlebars between .25” and .5” higher than my seat. Without changing the seat post and handlebar positioning the slackened HT and ST were also noticeable and affected the bike as follows:

Going down - the Motolite is hands down the better bike, with the stock RP23 shock either in full Propedal or Open. When the going gets really rough, flip the switch to open up the RP23 and the bike literally eats up the terrain. Point the bike where you want to go and fly. The HH had a Pushed RP3, which was a nice combo, but things could get a little rough on the steep technical stuff.

Going up – For all but steep technical climbing the Motolite climbs very efficiently, especially with the RP23 Propedal on. However, when the going gets steep and technical the slacker ST makes climbing more difficult, especially when seated when compared to the HH. I really need to focus on getting my weight forward to keep the front wheel planted and going in the direction wanted. Out of the saddle climbing is more efficient on the Motolite compared to the HH.

Tight twisty single track – The Motolite prefers a slightly different (wider) line than the HH, probably because of the slightly longer WB with the 130mm fork setting. I’d consider both bikes equal here.

Fast swoopy single track – I feel like the Motolite is the faster bike in this situation, and the bike simply excels in carving turns. I’d give the Motolite a slight nod here.

After I got few rides under my belt, I began tuning my positioning on the Motolite, with the hope of increasing the bike’s steep technical climbing abilities. To compensate for the slacker ST, I moved my seat forward by .5” and the balance of the bike has really come into its own. The Motolite now climbs equally as well if not better than the HH and the handling feels as good or better in all other situations as well.

I should note that my wife also has a XS Motolite and was finding the steep technical climbing difficult until moving her the seat forward about the same amount. She absolutely loves the bike as well. She raves constantly about how the bike carves high speed single track turns through the trees while pushing the big ring. I should note that she’s 48 years young.

I need to get few more rides to determine whether I need to move my handlebars forward to match my seat. Other than that, I feel like I have the bike really dialed in.

All and all, I don’t think that you can go wrong with the Motolite, just spend a little time with the set up and you can get it to handle equally as well if not better than your HH.

Good luck!

i1dry?
    Last edited by i1dry; 08-29-2006 at 06:20 AM.

Paper or plastic?
    Based on geometry alone, I'd say take the HH if you want to climb faster, and take the Motolite if you want to go downhill faster.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by i1dry
    To compensate for the slacker ST, I moved my seat forward by .05 and the balance of the bike has really come into its own.
    .05" - 1.27mm so either you're one sensitive mofo, or you meant .5". By the way, .5" on the saddle rails is equal to roughly 1 degree of effective seat tube angle change. And, I totally agree, I moved saddle up and I felt like the bike climbed better.

I wonder why?
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    .05" - 1.27mm so either you're one sensitive mofo, or you meant .5". By the way, .5" on the saddle rails is equal to roughly 1 degree of effective seat tube angle change. And, I totally agree, I moved saddle up and I felt like the bike climbed better.

My wife thinks I'm sensitive, some of the time, but I don't think that's what she means.

Your right, should be 0.5" not .05", thanks for the correction.

idry?