FM
    luxatio erecta

Motolite goes to whistler

Dudes,

So it was a fine vacation, with my wife and daughter, we love whistler and also our friends EBX and CBX were married there Saturday, plus the crankworx mountain bike festival was going on, and on top of that our good friends who live there recently had a kid so it was a great chance to catch up with them and bag some rides with my local bro Zane.

I spent most or my riding time in the bike park on my RFX, since I have a pass this year and want to get my moneys worth out of it. I got like 5 days in the park total, averaging about 9k' of double black diamond descents per day- and most importantly no injuries! We went through a ton of gear though- check out the great support we got!

Zane and I snuck out and rode "cheap thrills>danimal", which is possibly my favorite trail network ever. At this point I've ridden it on everything from a full FR bike with flats and pads to a hardtail with spds; the motolite was the perfect balance! I loved the higher BB and slacker angles with the AM SL. Cheap thrills is on whistler's west side, across the valley from the ski/bike park. You rarely see anybody over there. The thing I love most about cheap thrills is that it's labeled a double black diamond descent but there is no way for people to access it without plenty of climbing. The first time we rode it I thought "Are guys pushing DH bikes up for this descent or walking XC bikes down it?" but that was a few years ago and now this trail seems fun and flowey, not scarey at all. The trail features very steep granite faces, several 2-4' drops, and a few choice ladder bridges, one of which crosses over a steep rocky creek. Zane took some action pictures but I had my camera set to red-eye so they didn't come out, oh well. We had a great time anyways. I did botch a 4' to off-camber drop and rolled out of it- my worst crash of the week, lol.

I also used the motolite to tow my 2yr old daughter around on the valley trails, we even did some light off-road. That was really fun.

In our huge group of riding buddies that were up for the wedding, we are up to two broken arms and a separated shoulder. Whistler is really fun but the stakes are high in the bike park.

Anyways, sorry no pics, but figured you might enjoy the report anyways.

thats right living legend
    Sure did, great report. Sounds like your idea of XC trails would be full on FR to me.

You ROCK... Hard! Thanks.

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    In our huge group of riding buddies that were up for the wedding, we are up to two broken arms and a separated shoulder. Whistler is really fun but the stakes are high in the bike park.
    Oh man! Glad to hear you made through unscathed.

"Its All Good"
    FM, glad you made it though un scathed, have read some posts with I guess some of your group, a few majors really......

Hoping you can get a leave pass to come meet us all in Fruita or where ever we go
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    FM, glad you made it though un scathed, have read some posts with I guess some of your group, a few majors really......

Hoping you can get a leave pass to come meet us all in Fruita or where ever we go
    Seriously-
    one separated shoulder and two badly broken arms in our crew. EIO got like 40 screws in his elbow. I almost feel worse for our other buddy RG. Get this: two years ago RG fell on "A-line" and broke his arm really bad- both bones in his fore-arm, a compound break that broke the skin. Plus he had road rash all over his face. So he got a $800 high-speed ambulance ride to north vancouver for immediate surgery. Plus, since he was out of the US he had to cover all costs out of pocket. His insurance re-imbursed him but he was still out over $2k for 2 plates, 6 screws and 6 months off the bike.

Well monday RG fell on upper no joke; by all accounts it was a total mishap fall, just clipped a rock but went right down on his fore-arm, on a sharp rock. Total replay- broke his arm in the same spot, at whistler again, right at the edges of the plate from the previous break. Another high-speed ambulance ride to vancouver and surgery monday night. I am hoping he will be willing and able to ride again at all.

So we're all feeling for our buddies this week. I'm going to ride straight XC for a while and hopefully shake off the bad mojo.

"Its All Good"
    Seriously-
    one separated shoulder and two badly broken arms in our crew. EIO got like 40 screws in his elbow. I almost feel worse for our other buddy RG. Get this: two years ago RG fell on "A-line" and broke his arm really bad- both bones in his fore-arm, a compound break that broke the skin. Plus he had road rash all over his face. So he got a $800 high-speed ambulance ride to north vancouver for immediate surgery. Plus, since he was out of the US he had to cover all costs out of pocket. His insurance re-imbursed him but he was still out over $2k for 2 plates, 6 screws and 6 months off the bike.

Well monday RG fell on upper no joke; by all accounts it was a total mishap fall, just clipped a rock but went right down on his fore-arm, on a sharp rock. Total replay- broke his arm in the same spot, at whistler again, right at the edges of the plate from the previous break. Another high-speed ambulance ride to vancouver and surgery monday night. I am hoping he will be willing and able to ride again at all.

So we're all feeling for our buddies this week. I'm going to ride straight XC for a while and hopefully shake off the bad mojo.
    Sounds grim, read about that accident of RG, was the first run of the day, yes?

My thoughts go out to him, hope he heals well. With my major accident in moto x, coma, broken shoulder and 7 broken ribs, that was it for me, back to mountain bikes.. But then broke the shoulder again, thats it for FR / DH. So hence back to XC and AM riding........ Hate it as we get a little older, the body just does not bounce back...

Loads of healing vibes to them....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Trophy Husband
    Seriously-
    FM
    Does your buddy have a shaved head? Monday, I saw a group on upper No Joke next to the trail with one guy holding his arm...it looked painful.
    Extreme stationary biker.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    FM
    Does your buddy have a shaved head? Monday, I saw a group on upper No Joke next to the trail with one guy holding his arm...it looked painful.
    yep- shaved head, partial islander. Red heckler with a Z150. first run of the day.

Trophy Husband
    yep- shaved head, partial islander. Red heckler with a Z150. first run of the day.
    Damn, that is too bad. I felt bad for him...now hearing the story, I feel worse for him. I am wishing him well (sending some Geoluv) for today and the future.

I really, really, REALLY enjoy Whistler, but she (Whistler) should be respected. She can take you out in many different ways.
    Extreme stationary biker.

gmoney was gmoneybike

Carnage Correction

Dudes,

It was a dislocated shoulder not seperated for this 37 year old. While the pain was interesting it was the peculiar feeling of an unusable right arm that puzzled me most. I'm seeing the sports doc tommorrow and hopefully I'll get situated with a proper re-hab program. Don't mean to dull the shine here, but if your tired at Whistler take a break in the Village, I wish I had. Plus if your lacking world class skills I reccommend something nice and slack for that long rock face on Captain Safety.
    Were looking at balz

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by ghashmi
    Don't mean to dull the shine here, but if your tired at Whistler take a break in the Village, I wish I had. Plus if your lacking world class skills I reccommend something nice and slack for that long rock face on Captain Safety.
    G, I was a little shocked that people were going straight up to the upper mountain, especially after it rained hard. Captain Safety!? I rode that trail once and wasn't real keen on it, especially since the alternate route (in deep) is great and not quite as difficult (but still black diamond). No doubt luck played a part, but all you guys that got injured, did so on black-diamond or double-black-diamond trails.

After all the carnage, I started exploring the lower mountain more and found that I felt a lot safer on the easier trails and still had a blast. Plus they dry out quicker and don't require world-class skills- but they still have some alternate lines where you can push yourself.

"Crank-it-up>Devils Club>Heart of Darkness" is a great intermediate lower mountain line, plus it routes though two skills centers on the way down which feature teeters and drops.

Hope to see you saturday for some beer-lifting PT.

gmoney was gmoneybike
    G, I was a little shocked that people were going straight up to the upper mountain, especially after it rained hard. Captain Safety!? I rode that trail once and wasn't real keen on it, especially since the alternate route (in deep) is great and not quite as difficult (but still black diamond).

After all the carnage, I started exploring the lower mountain more and found that I felt a lot safer on the easier trails and still had a blast.

Hope to see you saturday for some beer-lifting PT.
    Flash:

I wiped on Friday, and there was no rain, just a tired dude needing an inch or more up front...no jokes pahlease. I was a bit over my head but thems the breaks. I have to admit though my confidence was up especially after our 4 hour jaunt on the "upper-upper" mountain the day before. What a blast eh? Anyway I doubt I'll hit Captain Safety any time soon.

Juice and I peeled off on Captain Safety on an explatory adventure as we had hit In-Deep the run before.

I agree the lower mountain is fun.

Beer lifting may not happen as we have schedule conflict. I know HLC will represent though.

Today I had my appointment with UW Sports Medicine. No re-hab program yet, but I'm scheduled for an MRI on Tuesday, follwed by a consultation Thursday. UW sees alot of shoulder injuries because of the Huskies Football team. I feel confident about the Doctors and staff. Scheduling appointments, the MRI and follow up consultation have been a breeze. Surgery may be an option as it offers more protection for the future, plus the success rate goes up the sooner you have it. I should have a game plan after Thursday. Surgery or not, I think I'm looking at 4 months off the mountain bike. Time to get a trainer.
    Were looking at balz

ಠ_ಠ
    FM,

How are your friends RG and EIO doing?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    FM,

How are your friends RG and EIO doing?
    Thanks for asking- They are doing good I think. RG isn't a MTBR guy so I doubt he'll post here but EIO & G-money are, perhaps they can offer their own report. Apparently G-money ended up needing surgery too.

I hear rumours that these guys are pondering selling their current bikes, as they have some time off to shop and scope out good deals. That was how I ended up on my turner- bought & built while I was out with a severly torn hamstring- 10 weeks off.

I do miss the homiez out on the trails- Our social lives revolve around biking (at leats mine does- family not included) so it's tough for all. But there will be good times coming. Hopefully some hiking and drinking beer.