Thread: Motolite Fork

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Motolite Fork

What is the ideal fork travel for a motolite mk2?

Was it built around a 120mm or 130mm?

I have a Talas 32 100-120-140 but am looking to go bolt through.

I find the 140 a bit wandery but Im wondering is that because of the 9mm axel?

Would it be madness to put a Fox 36 Float lowered to 130/140 on it?

Thanks in advance.

Dozer
    120mm is the sweet spot as designated by Titus. Some folks have had great experience with 130mm as well. Mine's set at 120.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    140mm Lefty max carbon. It's the BOMB. If you can afford it you will not be disapointed.

ಠ_ಠ

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I have an older RS Rev on mine. Was running it at 130 and the bike felt great. Just a tad wandery on the really steep stuff. I did like how light the front end was otherwise. Dropped the fork down to 115 and I actually noticed the difference. It was more significant than I was expecting it to be. I didn't care for it much at first. Ended up putting it back up to 130. My other bike has a TA and I think it makes a world of difference - but not on the climbs.

Being that you have an adjustable travel fork, not sure why you can't figure out what setting feels best to you? Have you tried riding it in only one travel setting for a few rides in a row, on the same trail? I'd leave it at 140 for at least 3 or 4 good rides. Then move it to 120 and do the same. Don't fiddle with the adjustments at all. That should tell you if you prefer climbing vs DH efficiency. Then you'll know what travel you're looking for on your next fork.

Some ppl like the ML as an AM bike. I think it is a perfect XC setup and that it how mine is built up. You could deal with the extra weight and get a Pike u-turn with 20 TA...

mtbr member
    Well, it depends on how you ride, where you ride what you can deal with, and the warranty on your frame.

As crazy as it sounds, I went to a 160mm fork on my motolite and like it much better than the 140mm Talas that it replaced. Most of my rides have short sharp declines and climbs and a little body english and upper body usage makes climbing a breeze.

If you are willing to live with a travel adjust, bigger is better: