Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Motolite or El Guapo

I have been riding a KHS Am1000 for the last year which I have really enjoyed. At the time I would have loved to have bought a Motolite but didn't have the money. Now I do and was just about to purchase a green motolite 2007 when the owner showed me a picture of the el guapo. Now I can't decide what to get. Have not riden the el gaupo as it does not arrive until July. I ride xc and would like to do a bit more downhilling with small drops in the future. The KHS does not like climbing at is a tad heavy and the high bb makes it a little uncomfortable on slow tech stuff. I am going to put the same build as I have on my KHS which is dtswiss 240s front and rear. dt swiss ex5.1d rims, xt crank,rear and front,saint breaks,thompson seatpost,truvativ team stem, werewolf 2.2 inch tread, maz am3(will uprade to the am1sl when i have a bit more cash). The EL Gaupo reviews I have read don't seem to be that great. Any views would be appreciated. The problem is I will have to make my mind up without riding the el guapo.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    there is little "long term experience" with El Guapo since it is very new.. though I am sure some of the board members that did some test rides will chime in... general consensus is that the ML is a sweet versatile ride ... it would just depend on how hard you plan on riding.. the ML can handle some abuse for sure... but I don't think it is a "drops-all-day-every-day" machine
    Last edited by crisillo; 05-16-2007 at 06:42 AM.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    If you can't ride the e.g. then I say go with the ML, I'm hugely against spending so much on something that you've not been able to evaluate (even though I did it myself in '03 when I got my Quasi Moto that I so dearly appreciate).

From your stated preferences, I think you may be better served by the ML anyway, I'm pretty sure it'll hold up well to the kind of riding you've intimated - assuming by "small drops" you mean stuff under a couple feet in depth AND you know how to handle them. With your stated XC bias this sounds likely.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    thanks. drops of 3 feet max but more likey 2 and under. I am heading towards the ML I think. The rides over here(Jakarta) have monster ups and downs. I am fed up of hauling the KHS up and would like something a little more nimble and fun. I am still tempted by the eg thought but slightly put off by the pearl shock,the cramped cockpit and 30 + ilbs.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yep.. that should be definitely in ML territory... at a much lower weight than comparable EG (though there are a lot of über-30-lbs MLs around here that's not a bad thing )

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I'd bet a reasonably well built E.G. at 30-ish pounds will still whomp the KHS on the climbs.

My 35# Quasi-Moto surely gives me no reason to complain.

Still, the ML seems a more appropriate tool in this case, and if you can't get the bike fit right it'll never work well.

Paper or plastic?
    No matter how you slice it, there'll be at least a 3# difference between the EG and the ML (~2lbs for the frame and 1# for the fork). A nice ML weighs 28# and a very light blingy build will weigh 27 or slightly less. A blingy trail oriented EG will weigh 30#. I suspect that most EG will 32-35#.

Basically, if you have to ride long uphills, the ML is the bike unless you're really strong and can handle the additional heft of the EG. The ML is very versatile but it's not a FR bike. The EG on the other hand can probably handle tons of abuse. Obviously, to abuse the EG, you'd need stronger wheels, which will add to the overall weight.

As for the cramped cockpit on the EG, I loved it. That was a very relaxed upright position.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

So is your face
    You seem like more of a candidate for the Motolite to me. If you're only doing the occasional drop and you want a less piggish bike that's the way to go. Buying ANY bike you haven't ridden is always a risky proposition.
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

ಠ_ಠ
    Guap

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by celluloid hero
    You seem like more of a candidate for the Motolite to me. If you're only doing the occasional drop and you want a less piggish bike that's the way to go. Buying ANY bike you haven't ridden is always a risky proposition.
    Never rode a Moto Lite before I got it

Blacky told me it was good. That was all I needed

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ummmm. In the future I wouldn't mind doing some more aggressive riding, but where I am living now it is mainly xc. basically I want a do it all, which I why I have been thinking el guapo. Has anybody loved the e g and how does the pearl hold up? Decisions............

Veni Vidi Vici
    If you want a tried and tested bike which won Bike of the year 2 times already get the ML but if you want a bike that will be a big hit end of this year and next year get the EG.... But one thing for sure you will be happy with either of the two

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Either will serve you well but it sounds like the ML will serve you better.

So is your face
    Blacky told me it was good. That was all I needed [/QUOTE]

Correction: Buying a bike you haven't ridden is a risky proposition unless it's been certified by Blackagness.
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by celluloid hero
    Blacky told me it was good. That was all I needed
    Correction: Buying a bike you haven't ridden is a risky proposition unless it's been certified by Blackagness.[/QUOTE]

Wiser words were seldom spoken.

AM is full of it! He didn't even like me at first!.. Don't "even" think I've forgotten!

Either way... I've alway's loved him!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    thanks for all the advice. I am going to order a black ML tomorrow and it will hopefully arrive in September. Saw a lovelly one at the track the other day. blinged up with xtr and a nixon manitou fork. i will be riding mine with a maz am3 until xmas when hopefully santa will bring a maz am1sl or a fox, or a man if the hayes buyout makes them any better. will be asking further advice when the time comes. my local distibutes maz and manitou but can get fox. however living in indonesia will prob go for a maz or man as they have all the parts in the shop. fox have to be ordered.

the 36 year old grom
    the old sales pitch for the first year of MotoLite was that it was designed to be the one bike you could bring if you didn't know what trail you'd be rideing or who you would be riding with.

got a little story for you, I went on a group ride once upon a time. drove an hour to get there. the guy I talked to said that the trail was probably more narly then what I ride normally. So I showed up with my 38 pound supermoto and a full face and pads.... at the trail head, everybody had hard tails or 3-4inch XC race bikes. and most of the riders are way more fit then me. that was a hard 22mile ride.

now days, I always bring the motolite: the motolite really is the perfect "one bike" for most people. I do my XC races and rides on mine and I trail ride it. I do my epic rides on it. I can basicly pull any ride I do on the ML. sure its not as confident as my bigger travel bikes on some trails and is not as light as a real XC bike. but it does OK and is fun. and it pedals real good and is tough as nails. its a very good choice if you only have one bike.

My view on the el guapo is that its the perfect bike for a fox 36 or other 6 inch thru axle fork.

Your Imaginary Friend
    I'm going to chime in and vote for the ML for you as well. Being a previous ML owner (now an owner of an RX and possibly a future owner of an EG) it sounds like the riding you're describing is exactly what the ML is good at. The EG is going to be a lot of fun going downhill but it's definitely not going to be the bike of choice for someone who trends more towards the XC side of things.

I have my race bike so the EG is a natural choice for me as I want something that's just flat out fun but, if I were inclined to stop racing and just go back to riding whatever I wanted all the time on one bike, I'd chose the ML again in a heartbeat.
    There's a fine line between courage and foolishness. Too bad it's not a fence.

Ti is addictive
    My view is if you want one do all bike that has versatility with XC and AM roots get the motolite..........

If money was no object and you can afford 2 different beasts get a Racer-X and The El Guapo........That way you have all the bases covered.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

Veni Vidi Vici
    Very interesting post Demo, I do ride my ML similar as you, I bring it to most of the trails that I ride, and in some cases to some easy downhill trails, and do xc race with it. Just would like to ask you, will you change your ML over EG?

Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    the old sales pitch for the first year of MotoLite was that it was designed to be the one bike you could bring if you didn't know what trail you'd be rideing or who you would be riding with.

got a little story for you, I went on a group ride once upon a time. drove an hour to get there. the guy I talked to said that the trail was probably more narly then what I ride normally. So I showed up with my 38 pound supermoto and a full face and pads.... at the trail head, everybody had hard tails or 3-4inch XC race bikes. and most of the riders are way more fit then me. that was a hard 22mile ride.

now days, I always bring the motolite: the motolite really is the perfect "one bike" for most people. I do my XC races and rides on mine and I trail ride it. I do my epic rides on it. I can basicly pull any ride I do on the ML. sure its not as confident as my bigger travel bikes on some trails and is not as light as a real XC bike. but it does OK and is fun. and it pedals real good and is tough as nails. its a very good choice if you only have one bike.

My view on the el guapo is that its the perfect bike for a fox 36 or other 6 inch thru axle fork.

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug

after reading this response, I'd like to change my answer to the MotoLite.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    after reading this response, I'd like to change my answer to the MotoLite.
    What for ?~? Just because demo_slug is a poopy head and doubted his abilities and became insecure and brought the big inch bike to a XC ride.... I would have loved to see the expression on the other riders faces when he unveiled his Northstar approved Gear.

I'd exchange my 33 pound Moto Lite for a 33 pound El Guapo for any ride (why my ML is 33 pounds is yet to be figured out... I think it's a bit heavy but still don't know why it's as heavy as it is... I mean the build is not all that heavy... I can't see a shock and fork making it That heavy ?~? I put on Candy SL pedals to get it to 30.01 pounds).

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    What for ?~? Just because demo_slug is a poopy head and doubted his abilities and became insecure and brought the big inch bike to a XC ride.... I would have loved to see the expression on the other riders faces when he unveiled his Northstar approved Gear.

I'd exchange my 33 pound Moto Lite for a 33 pound El Guapo for any ride (why my ML is 33 pounds is yet to be figured out... I think it's a bit heavy but still don't know why it's as heavy as it is... I mean the build is not all that heavy... I can't see a shock and fork making it That heavy ?~? I put on Candy SL pedals to get it to 30.01 pounds).
    Don't you think the MotoLite will pedal better than the Guap regardless of weight?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    Don't you think the MotoLite will pedal better than the Guap regardless of weight?

My Moto Lite pedals pretty bad when I have the Tenderizer pedals on .

El Guapo will pedal just fine this year since they unwittingly put on a Constipated Shock.

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by barelylegal
    Very interesting post Demo, I do ride my ML similar as you, I bring it to most of the trails that I ride, and in some cases to some easy downhill trails, and do xc race with it. Just would like to ask you, will you change your ML over EG?
    i'm going with both. I'm decomissioning my sumo. hang it on the wall.

So I'm going to use the 2 bikes just like I did for last year, I was splitting time between my SUMO and my ML. the ML gets used for long rides, hill climbs, new trails and group rides with fast people. my saftey blanket.

I usualy get my SUMO out once a week. me and my buds all bring out the huck bikes and go for a super fun ride. or if I know I'm going to black diamond trail. or I'm riding with guys that I know are slower then me or riding alone.

the SuMo is my favorite bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast